Middle Road?
Oct 28, 2002 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lodo

New Head-Fier
Anyone have any suggestions on some cans that would fall about in between the Senn's 600's and Grado 325's. I have been evaluating both of them. Grado's are too bright for me. I like the Senn's quite abit, but I cant quite say they are perfect for my ears. There is a bit too much of (mid-bass hump?) for me, and the bass could be just a tad tighter. I like the way voice and highs sound with the Senn's. Style wise, I lean more to the Grado's. Heck, I dont want to ramble too much, the more I think about it, a quality pair of cans, of similar price, that falls style wise and sound wise about right smack in the middle of those two might be just what I'm searching for. Thanks
confused.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 4
Try Grado RS-1s, although they don't fall into the middle ground price-wise. They supply the famous Grado presentation without the brightness associated with the SR- series. They provide a very smooth, liquid midrange, with excellent bass. And those retro, mahogany earcups look great (IMHO). Just a thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 4
if you're trying to differentiate at this headphone level, man are you in for frustration in differentiating between headphone amps and cd players
wink.gif

a good headphone will make a great set of cans sound even better. then you'll move onto copper interconnects, and the cd player, etc. it'll never end. it's an obsession.

start with the comfort level of the phones - do they feel right? too bright? move the transducers back or UP 1/4". not enough bass, move the transducers closer. replace the wires. change the transducer clothe type, etc.

you'd be wise to listen to other phones in that price range as there are quite a few that may just exactly be what you're looking for. (Sony 3000's? ETY's, Audio Technica, AKG, etc).

otherwise, i'd say Senn 580's and a good amp. ETY 4's? Beyer DT770's? (990's supposedly have a boomier bass), etc.

good luck, you lucky guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back