Mid-range IEMs for mainly acoustic music?
Sep 15, 2006 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

danathom

New Head-Fier
I need to get some new headphones to use with my Zen Vision:M. I'm looking at IEMs--I find headbands uncomfortable, earbuds won't stay in my ears, and anyway I'd like to use them on an airplane and other noisy environments. I haven't used IEMs, but I do sleep with earplugs so I anticipate a pretty easy smooth adjustment.

I have found some good, if overwhelming, info here--even some recommendations that cost less than a week's pay. One thing I haven't done too well with, though, is identifying what's suited to the type of music I listen to--primarily acoustic: blues, bluegrass, general guitar. I do also listen to "classic rock" like Pink Floyd or the Dead; and "alternative country" like Uncle Tupelo. Definitely no booming bassy stuff, dance music, etc.

Money is an issue--I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I'll spend enough that I won't want to replace them right away. I'm not looking for "the best," more a good value that's well suited to my usage: suitable for MP3 player, comfortable, good sound isolation, good with acoustic music. I am looking at a list of what seems to be the "entry level" better products:

Etymotic ER6i
Audio-Technica ATH-CK7
Altec Lansing iM716
Shure E2C
Creative Zen Aurvana
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio

Posts I've read here seem to point me towards the iM716. I like that I can get them from Amazon, and only $66.47 now, but I'm not enthused about the inline volume thing. Also wish they were black.

Thanks for your input--birthday is on Sunday, so I'm getting ready to buy now.

Sep 15, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 12
Wait, are the 616s basically the same thing minus the parts I don't like? I can't tell from their website.

EDIT: sorry, finally read through enough pages of my "im616 im716" search to realize I shouldn't have opened up that can of worms. Never did find anything from someone who had really listened to both, though (just "I hear" the 616 is like the 716 in bass mode). Appreciate a link if there's something I missed. I did see the PC Mag review, which didn't really say much.

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 12
Of the listed IEMs I've heard the Zen, the ER6i and the UE3 Studios. The Etys sound very clear and picks up very fine details, the UEs come in next after the Etys. The Zen have more upfront bass with good impact, but I don't think the bass is extended enough to do justice to the sound of acoustic guitars. The UE3s seem to be a good balance between detail and enough bass. Can't comment on the iM716s though. There is plenty of discussions in this forum about the iM716s, so I'd guess its best to leave the comments on that to those who do have one
Whatever you get, enjoy your new IEMs, real eye-opening for me (I got Westones and now all my previous earphones sound like...
etysmile.gif
)

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 12
what I said was based on my listening experience (e2c's, super.fi's and er6i's). As previously mentioned, the etys are super detailed and IMO are great for acoustic music...to my ears it seems like a very good combo. As for the other two I've heard--the e2c's are not worth their price, very muddy up top and all around poor sounding. The super.fi's are a step down in detail from the etys, but otherwise a decent IEM.

Sep 16, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 12
i owned both the er6i and im716 at one point and I recommend the im716s of the two. Not because they are rebadged ER4s(thats not confirmed) but because they had a better overall sound. I actually thought the im716 was better throughout the whole range meaning (lows, mids, highs) it was more clear and the highs were more pleasant(the er6is could get a little harsh depending on the music/source) the im716 are harder to drive but any normal DAP has no problem with it. IMO the e2cs(which I only heard briefly) are inferior to both.

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21
i owned both the er6i and im716 at one point and I recommend the im716s of the two. Not because they are rebadged ER4s(thats not confirmed) but because they had a better overall sound. I actually thought the im716 was better throughout the whole range meaning (lows, mids, highs) it was more clear and the highs were more pleasant(the er6is could get a little harsh depending on the music/source) the im716 are harder to drive but any normal DAP has no problem with it. IMO the e2cs(which I only heard briefly) are inferior to both.

I had about settled on the 716s, but now I'm leaning towards the 616s. I could live with the white and the volume control thing, but the power hog thing... It's sounding a lot like you won't get the full value of the 716s without an added amp. The 616s seem to be comparable to the ER6is--maybe not the "best," but a good value for very little money. And maybe a bit better suited to a DAP.

Sep 16, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by danathom
Posts I've read here seem to point me towards the iM716. I like that I can get them from Amazon, and only $66.47 now, but I'm not enthused about the inline volume thing. Also wish they were black.

Yes, the 616 is black with no volume pod. They appear to be pretty much like the 716 in Bass mode according to the only first-person experience I could find: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=14. I don't have a lot of experience, but the 616s sound great to me. I also wanted black with no volume pod.

Sep 16, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 12
What you have listed are the lower-end spectrum of IEMs. Noticeably missing are the UM1s, arguably the most comfortable "budget" IEMs. They sound decent with acoustic, but in the entry-level price-range, you make sacrifices all the time to save some money. The 716s have met high praises because they leech off Etymotic technology. The E2cs aren't very comfortable, especially for a first IEM. The ER-6is have a clean sound, but suffer from a compressed soundstage and tiny bass. Their small footprint is also a pain to insert and get a good fit. You almost wish they were bigger so you had some heft to hold onto while pushing them in. The UE 3 pros are apparantly nice for rock music. I'd probably start there, or with the UM1s for comfort.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 12
Yup, UM1 for comfort there...the comply tips are sooooo soft, after a while I don't even feel the Westones in my ears, compared to the clamping feeling I get with my headphones(they are monitor ATs which are quite well known for comfort in general...) after half an hour, I can listen to these all day
etysmile.gif

But something about the Westones sound though...slighty warm, decent bass extension, a little more extended than the UE3s by my own ear (Don't flame me here guys, its IMO only
tongue.gif
), but clarity is decent, though the Etys have the edge here, the only problem is that for me the etys sound rather 'clinical'.
Anyway, enjoy your new IEMs, a real treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back