Mid-Range Classical / Jazz 'Phones Advice
Feb 11, 2006 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

arty

New Head-Fier
Hi there
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm the owner of a 5-year-old pair of Sennheiser HD580s that have just recently decided to give up the ghost on me. I've replaced the cable a couple of times but this time something 'internal' seems to have gone and rather than fork out more money I rather fancy a new pair of headphones.

The music I listen to mostly is classical, followed by jazz, though I tend to listen to a very wide range of artists and don't really stick to a single genre. I'd like a new pair of headphones that is a significant upgrade from the 580s without costing more than about £250 (I'm in the UK
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Listening will mostly be from my M-Audio FW440 soundcard and hopefully also a mid-range Hi-Fi amp in the next few months. I'm particularly interested in detail and subtlety, but also comfort as I'm a musician and sometimes wear headphones for 8+ hours a day. Isolation is not that important to me, though it might be useful to block out the noise of my computer slightly more than my 580s did. I'm only interested in 'big' headphones, not in-ear ones.

In order of price, the three models I've been looking at are:

1. Beyer DT880 - seem like good value, comfortable, what's the clarity like?
2. Sennheiser HD650 - most similar to my 580s, probably very clear, overpriced?
3. Audio-Technica W1000 - slightly more expensive, closed (less airy?), 'odd-looking' headband?

I'll consider up to about £300 (that's ~$520 I think) but I don't have masses of cash to spend unfortunately.

Many thanks for any responses / opinions / suggestions and feel free to ask questions if you need any details I've forgotten
smily_headphones1.gif

arty

Feb 11, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 18
I don't think there exists a headphone in this range which is a "significant" upgrade over the HD 580. That being said, the Sennheiser HD 600 or 650 is the obvious choice. The 600 is slightly less bassy and more "flat" in its response curve than the 650. I think the Senns might also be more friendly to different genres and sources than the DT 880.

Feb 11, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I don't think there exists a headphone in this range which is a "significant" upgrade over the HD 580. That being said, the Sennheiser HD 600 or 650 is the obvious choice. The 600 is slightly less bassy and more "flat" in its response curve than the 650. I think the Senns might also be more friendly to different genres and sources than the DT 880.

i could see it now, the quest for more than the 580s will become an obsession... welcome to head fi-sorry about your wallet
seriously: i like the 650s.

Feb 12, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by arty
1. Beyer DT880 - seem like good value, comfortable, what's the clarity like?

It's outstanding! Unless you're very sensitive to treble (which is possible for an HD580 owner), you can't go wrong IMO. The DT880s are slightly bright (but smooth and never grainy/harsh in the highs), and are also quite picky about recordings. They can weed out a CD collection right quick, but it's worth it in my opinion. They're both slightly analytical and extremely musical.

A true bargain at $250, and IMO they'd still be a bargain at $400. I believe them to be a large upgrade over the HD580, having owned both and done extensive comparisons using a wide range of recordings.

P.S. full disclosure -- people have called me a DT880 fanboy, and maybe I am. IMO the DT880 has qualities that can create fanatics, like making certain live recordings sound so realistic you start wondering if you've been transported to the concert hall.

Feb 12, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 18
I haven't heard them, but unless I miss my guess, the AKG 701s should be on your list in that price range as well. I just got a set of 501s and am loving them, and by all accounts the 701s combine, for the most part, the best of the 501 with greater detail and bass extension/impact.

Feb 12, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
i could see it now, the quest for more than the 580s will become an obsession... welcome to head fi-sorry about your wallet
seriously: i like the 650s.

Heh - I'm already tempted by the AT W2002 and other such headphones in the ~£1k range. My poor wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
It's outstanding! Unless you're very sensitive to treble (which is possible for an HD580 owner), you can't go wrong IMO. The DT880s are slightly bright (but smooth and never grainy/harsh in the highs), and are also quite picky about recordings. They can weed out a CD collection right quick, but it's worth it in my opinion. They're both slightly analytical and extremely musical.

A true bargain at $250, and IMO they'd still be a bargain at $400. I believe them to be a large upgrade over the HD580, having owned both and done extensive comparisons using a wide range of recordings.

P.S. full disclosure -- people have called me a DT880 fanboy, and maybe I am. IMO the DT880 has qualities that can create fanatics, like making certain live recordings sound so realistic you start wondering if you've been transported to the concert hall.

That's quite interesting. The cable puts me off slightly (coiled and un-detachable I hear) as I've had to replace the cable on my HD580 about 3 times. If the 880 cables goes then I'd be stuck, presumably?

I think I'm tending towards the DT880 at the moment, particularly for the ~£175 I can get them for here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
I haven't heard them, but unless I miss my guess, the AKG 701s should be on your list in that price range as well. I just got a set of 501s and am loving them, and by all accounts the 701s combine, for the most part, the best of the 501 with greater detail and bass extension/impact.

Very interesting. I haven't heard anything about the 701s really - there don't seem to be any reviews of them on headphonereviews.org. They are about £300 here so at the upper end of my price bracket. Do you know of any in-depth reviews of them?

Thanks for all replies. Everything everybody says is helpful so please chip in if you haven't already
smily_headphones1.gif

arty

Feb 12, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 18
IIRC, you can get new boxed HD650 online for about £190. I think it was a seller going through ebay. Monster electronics or something. That would leave you £60 to try and get hold of a better amp.

Feb 12, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
IIRC, you can get new boxed HD650 online for about £190. I think it was a seller going through ebay. Monster electronics or something. That would leave you £60 to try and get hold of a better amp.

Yeah, I've seen them new for about £190-195. Do you have any recommendations for UK headphone amp shops? I've not had that much luck finding any.

After doing a bit of reading up on the AKG 701s they are beginning to tempt me too. Next thing I'll be spending £500 on this setup
tongue.gif

Current order of preference is

1. DT880
2. K701
3. HD650

I have some considering to do
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for all feedback so far...

arty

Feb 12, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
I listened to the HD580, and liked them!
Clear, punchy, some harshness.
Not typical jazz/classical though, but more blues/rock in my opinion.
The HD650 were not into my liking at all, too "flat"/"lazy" in the presentation.
So I have the DT880, a very nice sound also compared to the HD580: some smoother, not so harsh, a little more "room" in the presentation, more to jazz and classical in my opinion.
And all of these needed an amp.
You can get the newer models with a straight cord, the old ones had a coiled cord (mine was bought new last early spring, and have a straight cord).
Not many, if any, full-size phones have detachable cable, or am I wrong here?

The Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 all have easily detachable cables.

Also...most people who like the 580 will also like the 650 for similar reasons. The differences are not huge.

Feb 12, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 18
My first headphone was the HD-580, years ago before I even knew that it was hi-fi. I just read up some reviews, and there was a killer deal at empiredirect.com (they don't sell them any more) for a new pair at £67, so I got them. I didn't even have an amp for years. Once I got into the whole head-fi things, after getting a little T. Bithead, I ended up selling them and going through a whole load of other cans looking for 'the sound', and predictably ended up with the oh so similar 650's. In the long run, I regret selling them at all. Value for money wise, I don't think you can beat the 580. You know and love it's sound, so why not stick with it? I wouldn't recommend the 600 because the differences are too small. The 650 is IMO a worthy upgrade, whether it will sound as such is amp and source dependent.

Feb 12, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
My first headphone was the HD-580, years ago before I even knew that it was hi-fi. I just read up some reviews, and there was a killer deal at empiredirect.com (they don't sell them any more) for a new pair at £67, so I got them. I didn't even have an amp for years. Once I got into the whole head-fi things, after getting a little T. Bithead, I ended up selling them and going through a whole load of other cans looking for 'the sound', and predictably ended up with the oh so similar 650's. In the long run, I regret selling them at all. Value for money wise, I don't think you can beat the 580. You know and love it's sound, so why not stick with it? I wouldn't recommend the 600 because the differences are too small. The 650 is IMO a worthy upgrade, whether it will sound as such is amp and source dependent.

Interesting alternative opinion. I also picked my pair up at Empire Direct for ~£60 which was a pretty special deal. Out of interest which other headphones did you try?

I think I'll have to consider a headphone amp now too
smily_headphones1.gif

arty

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Yeah, I've seen them new for about £190-195. Do you have any recommendations for UK headphone amp shops? I've not had that much luck finding any.

I recon that the UK is pretty shocking for Headphone amps. It's not as big a market here as stateside, so the selection is pretty poor for this sort of price range.

I built my millet myself (with a little help from my Dad... ok, a lot of help), and if you're handy with the soldering iron you could try a bit of DIY and get something nice that way.

Otherwise you might want to try looking at picking something up off the net. Good things are said about the Cute Firestone Headphone amps. They are a head-fi sponsor and their amps go for about £100.

Just a few ideas!

Stew

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Very interesting. I haven't heard anything about the 701s really - there don't seem to be any reviews of them on headphonereviews.org. They are about £300 here so at the upper end of my price bracket. Do you know of any in-depth reviews of them?

Do a search on this forum. There are a number of folks who have them and a great deal has been written about them. If they are as much better than the 501s as written, then they would be killer for jazz, light classical, etc.

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 18
I've decided to go for the DT880s as I've found a particularly nice deal on them (around £130 / $225). I can't wait to see what they are like, and save up for a good amp if I can find one
smily_headphones1.gif

Many thanks for all the replies. Should be an interesting change from my 580s anyway!

arty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back