Mid-priced tube amps ($500-$1,000)
Feb 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

amcananey

Forever a 500+ Head-Fier
I currently have a number of solid state amps and recently picked up an Eddie Current Laconic EC-01, which I quite like. It piqued my interest in tube amps and ... down the rabbit hole I went.

Does anyone have experience with the below that can give advice?

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Woo Audio WA6 - $620 (assembled)[/size][/size][size=small] [/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Decware CSP2+ - $895 (assembled and outrageously good looking)[/size][/size][size=small] [/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Mapletree Audio Design Ear + HD - $620 Kit or $700 Assembled[/size][/size][size=small] [/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Mapletree Audio Design Ear + Super II - $850 (assembled)[/size][/size][size=small] [/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Bottlehead Smack WOT - $549 (kit) - Balanced and unbalanced outputs.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]I have heard that tube amps tend to have higher output impedances, and therefore aren't ideal for low-impedance headphones unless - like the Bottlehead Smack WOT -- they have an output transformer. My headphones tend to run the gamut:[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Denon AH-D5000[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Grado SR225i (woodied)[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Alessandro MS2[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Ultrasone Pro 2900[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Sennheiser HD600[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]HiFiMAN HE-400[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]So I've got a pretty broad mixture in terms of impedance (25 Ohms - 300 Ohms) and sensitivity (92-106 dB). I am also considering picking up a pair of 600 Ohm Beyerdynamics or a pair of HE-500s with a sensitivity of 89 dB at some point.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Overall, I figure this really isn't about technical specifications, but about sound, so I'm interested in any input the collective Head-Fi experience cloud can offer...[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Best,[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Adam[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]P.S. In case it's useful:[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small]The WA6 is rated for headphones from 8-600 Ohms.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small] [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small]The Decware CSP2+ is rated for headphones with 32-600 Ohm impedance, but Decware also offers the Taboo, which is recommended for headphones with 4-60 Ohms. I know there is a review of the Taboo where the OP mentions using the Taboo with the CSP2+ (i.e., at the same time), but I don't really get how that works or why it would be desirable...[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small]The Bottlehead Smack WOT has switchable output impedance of 16, 32, 64 or 128 Ohms, but I wonder whether it is powerful enough to drive the HE-400 or HE-500s satisfactorily.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small]The MAD Ear + Super II is rated for headphones with 30-300 Ohms, while the HD variant has an output impedance of 7 Ohms, but doesn't specify the recommended headphone impedance.[/size][/size][/size][/size]

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 3
I had a Woo WA6 for a couple of years. The WA6 is a killer amp with HD600s! I did not need to upgrade to the WA2 but I think that most of the members understand the upgrade disease. I share the opinion with many that Woo Audio offers excellent products backed by first rate service.

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 3
Well, I picked up a WA6, but I'm still interested in feedback on the other amps listed above. I'm not averse to having more than one...in particular if I wind up building a Smack WOT or an Ear+ HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back