Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #392 of 1,866
Penon Fiery is a good copper cable they sell on there. Another one on there I can recommend to you is a hybrid cable that has 3 materials which ends up being versatile. It is a bulkier cable like the OS849.

Called the GS849.https://penon-official.com/product/penon-gs849/
1599610807675.png

I just did a review for this particular cable here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-gs849.23111/reviews#item-review-23949 Read the review here. This cable will be a bit different from the OS849 actually different enough to own. Both are versatile but this one adds a bit of gold in the mix. Gold adds a touch of richness to the sonics. This is a great cable. I own 2 sets of these and they are fantastic on just about everything I have used them on

1599611004255.png

I wish Penon made a higher end UPOCC cable but they only carry that Fiery which is an excellent copper cable but for a bit more you can get something like this one.

Thank you again. I think I will pick up the Fiery and the OS849. Anyone know how long it usually takes to get to the US in the current situation?

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #393 of 1,866
Shouldnt take long espectially if they give you a DHL shipping option for a bit of extra but worth it for I believe $10 more over cost of the items. Ask Penon if they can ship both via DHL for you for one cost they will do that I am sur. Fiery is a great crystal copper cable and they are using only 4 cores which makes them light so it should be a good one for you.

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #394 of 1,866
I have a ThieAudio Monarch coming. Would you do a all copper cable for it or maybe a OS 849 variant like the OSG??????

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #395 of 1,866
Good quesiton. You know what you gotta do is get that phone first. Match it up with what you got and it will give a good indicator of what you need for a cable. Might be SPC or Copper either way could mesh with the sonics well. After that little experiment we can certainly take a look at something that will upgrade that phone to a nice respectable level. If it does well with the OS849. OSG will be a nice upgrade for certain.

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #396 of 1,866
I wish it was as simple as copper brings warmth and silver makes the treble shine... it's more about synergy!

EDIT: In my opinion

Sep 11, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #397 of 1,866
I wish it was as simple as copper brings warmth and silver makes the treble shine... it's more about synergy!

EDIT: In my opinion

I absolutely agree and just because a cable is mega bucks don't mean it has better synergy than something much cheaper. This is the reason why cable match ups for certain sound tunings are difficult.

Reason why my cable collection has ballooned is more or less this. I have no idea which one of my cables will synergize better with a given earphone. I have a good idea based on tone and detail but otherwise it is not an easy task. When folks come into this thread and ask what would be a good match up for this or that earphone. If I don't own that earphone to be honest I have no idea. I can base that advise sorely based on sound profile but that is really about it.

So If I suggest something to you guys and it don't end up matching up like you thought it would. This is the reason why. I am guessing more than anything but I will certainly advise more based on cables that have a greater chance of having a versatile profile than cables that are more niche in nature.

Oh and I forgot your source comes into play here too. You see why cable match up gets a bit daunting. One thing I do know. It is not a bad idea to have a variety of different types of cables. Your bound to find a few that will match up well.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #398 of 1,866
The OS849 proves cost is not everything. I just received my second one which is now on my Legend X. The first is on the Fourte and will NOT be coming off. Both these are totl iems and one would think need $1K or more cables. The Trebles on the Fourte have been changed to silky from agressive with the bass punchier. On the LX everyting is smoothed out with the bass becoming part of the band and not some mad diva. The construction of the cable is superb and easily surpasses the stock cables. The stock Aeres with LX is an ergonomic nightmare with stiffness above the splitter. The 64Audio cable is well.. cheap. It sounds OK but for the same cost the OS849 is a better cable sonically and ergonomic. Thanks @Dsnuts for your helpful cable reviews.

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #399 of 1,866
I own the OS849 in both 2 pin and mmcx. They are indeed great cables. Penon makes some awesome cables I have gotten to know them as a reviewer over the past year and I have to say those guys are wizards at the cable game.

Speaking of reviews. I am almost done with my review of another 849 cable the 18K gold plated OCC copper cable the GD849. These cables on a neutrally highly detailed monitor is astounding. It turns analytical to musical. That is saying something. Will have a link for my review once I get some photos done for the review.

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #400 of 1,866
DSC07541.JPG

For guys that own earphones that are neutrally tuned. Has a lot of detail. Would like to take a bit of the edge off with a smoother treble end. Expansive stage. Full bass impact and deeper reaching rumble. Adding richness to an otherwise thin or dry mid range. These cables are for you. The best gold plated cable by far. But I have to admit I only have 3 such gold plated cables on hand. This one easily deserves a 5 star rating. Read more here. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-gd849.24633/reviews

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #401 of 1,866
Donuts, Has Penon sent you the new Totem IEM cable to try? Looks to be another higher dollar wire for them.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #403 of 1,866
Penon news website. It is also a only Penon on line store.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #404 of 1,866
1600271269699.png

PENON Totem
Flagship Gold Silver Copper Palladium Coaxial IEM Cable
  • Material:
  • Single crystal copper silver-plated Litz 6
  • Palladium-plated pure silver
  • single crystal copper plated with pure gold
  • Core:2 shares, 334 cores per share
  • Outer diameter:2.8mm
  • Carbon fiber metal splitter and CNC integrated slider
  • Plug: gold-plated Carbon fiber
  • Length: 1.2m
Looks crazy good.

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #405 of 1,866
I have a GS849 on my Moondrop Blessing 2 and an OSG on my CA Solaris SE. After 7 days, 24/7 breakin both sound super good. Money well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back