Mid-Michigan Meetup Aug 18, 2012 (Saginaw, Midland, Mt Pleasant and surrounding areas)
Aug 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #33 of 83
I'd love to go, but I am going to the Woodward Cruise which is only once a year. Hey anyone going to this event must eat at the new Vanseta's Garage. The food there is great.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #34 of 83
That was a blast!  Thanks to all who showed up, it was great to meet you in person.  I'm working on reorganizing the office after moving everything, so I'll post up the few pics I have later this evening or tomorrow.

As discussed, let's turn this into an impressions thread too.  What did you like/dislike, any favorites?  etc etc....

Also, special kudos to cashnotcredit and dad for driving 2.5 hours to get here!!!

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #35 of 83
That was a blast!  Thanks to all who showed up, it was great to meet you in person.  I'm working on reorganizing the office after moving everything, so I'll post up the few pics I have later this evening or tomorrow.

As discussed, let's turn this into an impressions thread too.  What did you like/dislike, any favorites?  etc etc....

Also, special kudos to cashnotcredit and dad for driving 2.5 hours to get here!!!

Thanks a MILLION to all who attended for sharing your time, opinions, and gear, and HUGE thanks to hdufour for coordinating a wonderful event.

Now to the part where we all argue with each other. xD

FAVORITES:

Sennheiser HD-650. Duh. Surprisingly, it didn't have much of an initial "wow" factor. Still, it had wonderful imaging and the most accurate representation of vocals I have ever heard. Ever.

DarkVoice (insert model # here). There's a plugin in FL Studio called SoundGoodizer. If this name wasn't already taken, it'd be a wonderful name for this amp. Is it very even FR wise? No. Do I care? Not really. Opposed to the more sterile Audiobox and FiiO E7, the slight increase in warmth that the DarkVoice provides sounded at home on everything I ran through it.

FiiO E7. The FiiO E7 sounded extremely similar to the Audiobox USB...except it's smaller than a deck of playing cards and works with iDevices. FiiO knocked it out of the park again by combining competent SQ and a convenient form factor into something that is ridiculously underpriced.

DISLIKES

AKG K240. I feel really bad for not liking this headphone. The bass is right where of needs to be, impactful but not boomy. The mids were nice and forward, but not too much so. The highs were non-fatiguing. The soundstage was very large and separation was top-notch. This headphone did well at everything conceivable...but I just didn't enjoy myself listening to it.

PreSonus drivers. Seriously guys at PreSonus, before pushing a driver out to the masses, test it for packet loss.

Waking up at 6:00.

Windows 8.

hdufour's pink bag.

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #36 of 83
Hey!  No picking on the pink bag!!!! It got all my stuff home in one trip....

XB-500 - overloaded and bloated bass.  Need I say more?

Jaycar/He-6 knockoffs - me likey!  Very well balanced sounding and comfortable to wear, both a bonus.

50 cent modded cans - sibilant.  Bright.  Ouch.  But always fun to listen to something different.

Carlos' nap with a few snores....perfect for a headphone meet up - nobody noticed for the most part.

PreSonus - nice pairing with jaycars....not a fan of stepped volume knobs, horrible drivers, but overall very nice when working.

Overall, a fun hangout time with lots of audio gear.  Glad you all enjoyed my toys, its always fun to share.  And I'm very much enjoying the music recommendations.  And now to maybe work on some pictures.....heh heh....

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #37 of 83
Quote:
DarkVoice (insert model # here). There's a plugin in FL Studio called SoundGoodizer. If this name wasn't already taken, it'd be a wonderful name for this amp. Is it very even FR wise? No. Do I care? Not really. Opposed to the more sterile Audiobox and FiiO E7, the slight increase in warmth that the DarkVoice provides sounded at home on everything I ran through it.

Darkvoice 332.  Tubes are in my profile....click the link thingy if you must know....

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #38 of 83
Ok, one last thought....we need to find a raspberryPI with a cmoy built in...someone design it.  Now.  Thank you.  
L3000.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #39 of 83
Quote:

50 cent modded cans - sibilant.  Bright.  Ouch.  But always fun to listen to something different.

Turns out, Winamp (and therefore, MediaMonkey) supports VST plugins. Didn't know that. I put on a low-pass filter at a very low slope at around 9.5kHz, and that's seeming to help BIGTIME. Expect them to come back at a vengeance at the Ann Arbor meet, especially if I can build/acquire a hardware filter for them. (maniacal laughter)

Quote:
Ok, one last thought....we need to find a raspberryPI with a cmoy built in...someone design it.  Now.  Thank you.  
L3000.gif

Why put the CMoy in with the Raspberry Pi when you can probably just put it in the Raspberry Pi's box.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #41 of 83
I despised the 240s so much...that I got a pair. To be fair, it's the K240M, which is a 1970s version of the 240 with MUCH higher impedance and a few other design differences. Kinda want to see if I can give the AudioBox a workout for a change, and if they have that special "oomph" that the 240S was missing.

EDIT:

Turns out, the drivers for the AudioBox were completely fine. The issue was interference from the laptop's wireless card. I've been listening for the past 1/2 hour no problem with the wireless card disabled (I'm typing this over a wired connection on a laptop...kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop, but we'll go with it.) I started getting clicks and pops as *soon* as  we got home, but it looks like this solves it.

And the 240Ms came in. They have a surprisingly "fun" sound and are surprisingly easy to drive. Kind of like a mix between the M50s and the K240S, only with a really impressive soundstage (it *is* a 240, afterall) and a smidget of bass bloat. Despite a 600 Ohm impedance, the Audiobox handles them easily (about 3/7ths of the possible gain. And yes, I like weird fractions) , so I'm sure that a FiiO unit (E11 probably, the E7 might struggle a bit) could handle them as well (let alone the average tube amp). For a $40 eBay special, a good (and easily repeatable) deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back