Mid Life Crisis
Jul 1, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #16 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Have you ever considered a "real" penis extension Jon?
wink.gif

Why does everyone keep telling me that?
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 61
I turned 40 back in March and at the time I thought it was pretty funny. The past couple of months have been a different story though. Although my face still looks pretty young, my hair is starting to get a little too thin and the grays (on the sides of my head especially) are bothering me enough that I started coloring my hair on a regular basis. I've also been on a major health kick the past couple of months which is a good thing but I need to slow down the weight loss a little bit (18 pounds in 2 months).

Like everyone else, I keep wondering if there's more to life, what have I accomplished so far, etc. The biggest thing though is that I now feel too old to have that great romance I've always imagined about. I'm still single and I'll probably stay that way, which is my choice and doesn't really bother me. However, I feel I'm just too old to have one great love affair where I'm swept off my feet and my love and I spend the warm summer months holding hands in the rain, wading in park fountains, eating croissants in outdoor cafes, and making passionate love at the slighest whim wherever we happen to be. Pretty much the kind of thing you only see in the movies.

Somehow I don't think a new car will help.

Jul 1, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #19 of 61
Enjoy your Z. I've owned three Nissan ZX's. A 1984 normally aspirated 300ZX, a 1986 300ZX turbo and my last and best a 1990 300 ZX twin-turbo. The twin turbo was an awesome car. I can only imagine what the 350 must be like.

Midlife crisis is real. Worked the other way for me. I woke up. Dumped the 6 figure, 60 hour week job. Sold the Mercedes and got rid of a lot of the toys. De-cluttered my life and trying to enjoy the 20 or so years that I have left (God willing). The people in your life are important, nothing else. My wife was more than happy to see me quit the high pressure job and spend more time at home with my family. The luxuries we lost we didn't really need.

Jul 1, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 61
Jon,

Nice ride...I haven't had a sports car since I was in college (VW Scirocco), and I really miss it. Practicality will win the day for a while (I've got two young kids), but someday....
biggrin.gif

Growing old is a funny thing...I'm 40+, and I think that because I have young kids and work with younger folks, I think that it keeps me feeling younger. Still, I sometimes feel ridiculous when I'm listening to something like Kid Rock on my way home from work.
eek.gif

Enjoy your new Z...like you I've wanted one ever since I can remember (but I only go so far back as the 280Z).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #21 of 61
I'm getting pretty old myself... man... 6 more months and I turn 15!
eggosmile.gif

Congrats on the Z, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've always thought they're some of the coolest looking cars around.

Jul 1, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #23 of 61
I think we go through a series of changes as we go through life and they become a crisis when we do not feel we can cope with them. As we get older injuries take longer to heal, it takes longer to recover from an illness, loss of a job is more stressful and even our own mortality are changes that are harder to deal with than they were when we were in our teens or twenties. I think people cope in different ways, some try and capture their lost youth by finding a young girlfriend, some go on fitness kicks others buy a motorcycle or a car. Some of the options like a younger girl often lead to divorce or a child late in life both creators of additional stress in their own right. What I have seen is that none of these things really resolve the underlying problem although they may mask it for a time. The older people that I see that fare the best are those that do not let the changes that are inevitable get them down they just keep going and making the best of what they have. When I was young I was very good at sports and as I aged I found that as my skills diminished I could get just as much enjoyment out of coaching. I have quietly employed the same strategy at work occasionally mentoring younger colleagues when I think it is appropriate. Change is around us everywhere and we can either fight it or embrace it. I still enjoy music even though my listening time has diminished as of late. My desire to upgrade and change has also waned as I have become very satisfied with the system I have. On a brighter note one thing that I am really enjoying is that both of my kids are doing very well in their life and careers and the presents I get on fathers day, birthday and Christmas are really great.

Jul 1, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #24 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
so is the 350z faster/better than a porsche?

then a boxster sure... that's about it. it's a mid 13 second car, handles pretty nice... and is alot cheaper generally then a 70k range porsche like a carrera. It def isn't a status symbol, or going to drive like a porsche though.

Jul 1, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #25 of 61
Jon,

Nice ride. You should be able to experience the term:

"it corners like it's on rails".

I had a 91' TT 300Z till the kids came along. To be honest,
I don't miss it much. I miss having my 90' Mustang GT convertible more.
I'm more of a ragtop guy.

Enjoy the new wheels.

Jul 1, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #26 of 61
I'm 45 and I've been considering having an affair for my midlife crisis, as the research also leads to that conclusion. Problem is, I'm not married! Just not sure my 6'1" frame will fit in a sports car that well. What the heck am I supposed to do?

Nice ride BTW. I've loved 'em since '72 as well.

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #27 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
then a boxster sure... that's about it. it's a mid 13 second car, handles pretty nice... and is alot cheaper generally then a 70k range porsche like a carrera. It def isn't a status symbol, or going to drive like a porsche though.

Porsches are nice and I almost got one. I still may but it would be an older one with an air cooled engine (air cooled engines are my passion). Maybe if I get really lucky I would get a 356B or 356C
biggrin.gif

The 350Z is a really nice car.

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #28 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
I'm 45 and I've been considering having an affair for my midlife crisis, as the research also leads to that conclusion. Problem is, I'm not married! Just not sure my 6'1" frame will fit in a sports car that well. What the heck am I supposed to do?

Nice ride BTW. I've loved 'em since '72 as well.

Yes it will fit! unless the 6'1" is girth like me in which case forget it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
congrads on the new ride.

im glad i could help you put a dent in the first payments.
redface.gif
megasmile:

Oooh, don't say new ride and dent in the same sentence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Yes it will fit! unless the 6'1" is girth like me in which case forget it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

We won't go there.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back