Mid-level Closed Back Recommendations
Sep 20, 2017 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mdboyce

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for advice on a mid-level set of over-the-ear closed back headphones. These will be used at work in a cubicle environment, thus the need for closed back style. I have a set of Sennheiser HD6xx that should show up in December, but those really won't be OK in the office. My budget is somewhere around $300-400, but I could go a bit higher if there is a definite reason.

I currently use a set of Audio Technica ATH-A700 that I have had for a long time. They sound pretty good, but I'm ready for something a bit better sounding.

My setup at work is a MacBook connected via USB to an O2/ODAC. I generally listen to FLAC of varying bit rate/depth, occasionally mp3 (hopefully 320kbps), and on rare instances streaming music. If Spotify comes out with their supposed CD quality tier, I might give that a whirl.

As far as genres, I usually listen to Rock/Metal, Rap, and Electronic, but I listen to most everything except Country from time to time.

I had been looking at the Fostex TH-X00, as they are right in the middle of my budget and seem to be well reviewed. I like a slight emphasis on bass, as long as it is still fairly faithful to the source. Since I listen to music at work, usually for several hours a day, comfort is extremely important. Similarly, since they'll sit on my head or the desk 99% of the time, I'm not overly worried about ruggedness.

Some others I was considering:
Focal Spirit Professional
Oppo PM-3 (though I worry about the O2 driving these)
Audio Technica ATH-A1000Z
Sennheiser HD1

Please let me know if there is any other info that would help.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 12
The HD1/Momentum 2 isn't quite worth their $350 retail price IMO. They're great headphones but a bit overpriced. They also might not be comfy depending on your ear size. I have medium sized ears and they fit me well but I always see people complaining about earcup size. Good luck with your search!

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks! As much as I generally love Sennheiser, the HD1 was probably at the bottom of my list. People seem to generally feel like they aren't the best in that price range. Also, good to know about their cup size. I'm probably on the larger side of medium, so that could be a concern.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks! As much as I generally love Sennheiser, the HD1 was probably at the bottom of my list. People seem to generally feel like they aren't the best in that price range. Also, good to know about their cup size. I'm probably on the larger side of medium, so that could be a concern.
well I was going to say Meze99 classics could be perfect for the genres you said but I don't think the cups would fit your ears well... I have yet to try the new cups so don't know how much bigger they got.

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 12
Wow, those Meze99's are seriously beautiful. All other factors aside they are probably some of the best looking cans I think I've seen.

Good to know the PM3's are easy to drive. I've just generally come to associate planars with being difficult.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 12
Not all planars are hard to drive. The PM3's to me were just too polite almost to the point of being lifeless but that is just my take yours could differ. Have not heard the Beyer 1770's so can't say. The Meze 99's are very good but the cups are small and almost are like on ears but the lack of clamp is not bad and it doesn't bother me at all but can't wait till you can get the bigger cups though as they are made to be modular and everything just screws apart. Yes they are quite nice looking also.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 12
I'd say Mr. Speaker's Mad Dog headphone is definitely a mid-level closed-back headphone that is worth looking into.

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I was lucky enough to figure out that a friend of a friend had a pair of Fostex TH-600's with a Schiit stack. I got to try them out over the weekend and really loved them. Needless to say, I'm going with the TH-X00's, since everything I've read says they are an improved version for less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back