Mid-Indiana Meet Impressions Thread (March 21, 2009)
Mar 22, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by nbourbaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mid-Indiana Meet was my first Head-Fi outing and I had a blast! It's great to be able to hear such fantastic gear in such a friendly atmosphere. I'll post more this evening, including more pictures.

Charles, thanks for coming out.. I know it was kind of last minute, but I enjoyed comparing a couple of headphones out of my rig with you.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 40
A few more pics.

3_21Indymeet001.jpg

3_21Indymeet002.jpg

3_21Indymeet003.jpg

3_21Indymeet004.jpg

3_21Indymeet006.jpg

3_21Indymeet007.jpg

3_21Indymeet008.jpg

So much gear to listen to and so little time. Being a tube lover, I couldn't help but be drawn to HC's Single Power platinum setup and Absorbine Sr.'s Zana Duex setup. Both deliver sonic goodness in spades for me. Also being a closed cans/ Denon fan I was immediately impressed with the better resolution and tighter bass control of emelius' Denon 7000's. Another hit for me was ChobinT's Bijou setup, not only with the SQ but also the unique casework. I am sure I'm leaving something out and didn't get a chance to listen to everything, so right there is reason enough to have a follow up meet.
icon10.gif

Thanks a bunch to bperboy/Evan for taking the time to coordinate and arrange to have a great place to meet, and on the beautiful Rose Hulman campus no less, and thanks to everyone who took the time to haul thier gear out to share with others. I left this meet with many ideas and info that will influence my hobby, and some great new friends to boot. I totally look forward to the next meet. Any way you look at it there's no way to beat Head-Fi'ers in my book.
atsmile.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #18 of 40
Sounds like you all had an awesome time ... Huzzah! Sounds like the DiY was terrific and I'm sorry I missed that too. Thanks for the great pictures and mini reviews. For those of us unable to make it, they are always appreciated. Keep'em comin! I look forward to catching you all at the next meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 40
I didn't realize there were several from Cincinnati. Men (or course this includes you Doc), we have to pull a Cincy meet when Tobin is in town. I know Tobin wants to try one in Columbus too. Maybe we can get some of the longtimers out of the house and show us newbies what they have done with their systems. I'd love to hear a pimped TT rig, stats, a multi-K$ dac, silver wired amp, on and on.

Thank you Head Fi for making these meets possibe through this forum. I haven't been in jail since I came here. Well, I haven't been in jail at all but I could have were it not for such a cool place.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great looking meet guys! I hope there were no raffles otherwise Evan would have won all the prices!
wink.gif

I wold like more detailed info on:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...0Haute/th4.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...Haute/th19.jpg

On the first pic, you see a dual AMB σ22 power supplies. These dual σ22 power supplies are feeding the Dynamite built by digger945.

The longer thing on the second pic is the Bijou tube amp with MKP output caps, the smaller thing is probably a Buffalo DAC (as far as I can see). Both are built by Chobint.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #25 of 40
Bloody yes!!! Spittin' image he is.

mrarroyo, Ferrari is correct in the description of the two pictures.
Top is my unfinished Sigma22, it needs the epsilon24 power switch driver populated and then all hooked up to the Teledyne solid state relay, and a 12V transformer in there somewhere to power the e24. As seen in the pic it is switched with the rocker on the IEC inlet.
Bottom pic is Chobint's Bijou and Buffalo, which I really liked ALOT. I see now what all the talk is about the Bijou. And yes, it had the biggest honkin films on it I think I have ever seen before. He mentioned that he got a great deal on them from Australia at a time when the exchange rate was very much in his favor.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #26 of 40
bperboy's setup. I really enjoyed listening to your gear. The AKG K702 sounded great with the Jazz you had on tap. I was impressed with added dimensionality that the DAC Magic brought to the setup. I wasn't as impressed with the loaner Grado GS1000. The Grado didn't sound as realistic compared to your AKG. I didn't think about trying emelius' Denon AH-D7000 with the DAC Magic in your rig until after I left. As it was, I was gravitating to the Denon. That might have pushed me over the edge.
_MG_0178.jpg

Group shot. Everyone wanted to hear Absorbine_Sr terrific setup. His Eddie Current Zana Deux amp was the first time in 40 years I listened to tubes and it was heaven. Everything I could want in a headphone setup. I've never been a big fan of Sennheiser's house sound, but through Absorbine_Sr equipment, I've never heard a pair of headphones sound better. A big thanks for going through all the trouble of bringing all of your fantastic equipment to share.
_MG_0188.jpg

Tobin's DIY rig. I really wasn't prepared to hear Tobin's rig. The sound lacked nothing. I was expecting to hear a lot of noise, but it was dead quiet. The sound was full and well balanced. Tons of detail without being analytical. I was shocked that something so raw from a cosmetic point of view could sound so good. And shocked again that his Sennheiser HD650 didn't sound at all the way I thought Sennheiser's sound.
_MG_0192.jpg

I didn't take the opportunity to listen to Digger945's setup. I'm kicking myself now for not taking the time to just stop and listen. Next time!
_MG_0182.jpg

I really enjoyed listening to schalliol's gear and especially his Cambridge Audio DacMagic. It sounded great in schalliol's and bperboy's setups. It was the first thing I priced when I got back home. His headphone case really got my attention. Very classy.
_MG_0196.jpg

emelius' Denon AH-D7000 sounded great on every system I tried it on. Balanced from top to bottom. Not as realistic as bperboy's AKG K702 with acoustic tracks, but better balanced. It was the balance from top to bottom that kept me trying these phones. They even sounded really good on my Pico and Beyerdynamic DT880. Because they are closed cans, I didn't think I'd like them so much.
_MG_0187.jpg

I had a great time with CompuRyan's Balanced β22 hooked up to Absorbine_Sr's Resolution Audio Opus 21 CDP. For some reason, I didn't take a picture. I'm sure I'm leaving out some of the gear I had the opportunity to listen to. Being my first meet, I was a little overwhelmed with all the great gear.

A big thanks to bperboy for getting this meet setup. Great location, great people and a really good time. Thanks to everyone for sharing you passion and equipment. I was like a kid in a candy store. I'm sure by the next meet, I'll have more gear to share.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #27 of 40
highlights for me (not necessarily the best mind you) were the Resolution Audio Opus 21, Bijou and the Millett MiniMax...

the Opus was stellar...it was what originally drew me in & made me want to try to make the show come hell or high water (thanks again Ryan)...i think if we had the time we would've tried it with every amp there...we did get to move it to the Beta 22...balanced and through the Senn HD600 the low noise floor was incredible!...not exactly a desktop setup, but if i was given a table to work with i'm not sure i could do much better than that system...

the Bijou made quite the entrance
ph34r.gif
...three of us lined up immediately to hear it & were all wowed...it maintained such a clean sound -- definitely something i'd like to spend more time with...gonna keep an eye on this one...needs some chassis work
biggrin.gif
...we were discussing having it upright like a tower perhaps...for whatever reason it reminded me of the old Hagerman Trumpet...

as for the Millett...well i now have a new under $500 amp recommendation...and i may pick up a used one myself in a weak moment just to play around with
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #28 of 40
Looks like fun. I'm going to try and make the LA one. Glad the Bijou got attention. I'm almost done building mine and can't wait to hear it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #29 of 40
That looked like a nice time had by all. Congrats on a great meet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back