Mid - High end HTPC / PS4 setup suggestions
Aug 21, 2014 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

beginner1

New Head-Fier
Hello,  I've put this in the gaming forum as half my sources are the PS4, if it's better placed elsewhere please move.  

I've found myself using headphones 90% of the time now and am trying to get my head around what to do about this.  My current setup looks like this:

PS4 -> AVR -> TV HDMI IN / Opt out -> astro mixamp 5.8 -> o2 amp -> beyer mmx300

The reason I run it through the TV like that is the AVR will output over HDMI when in standby and it saves me changing settings / cables.  I have noticed no degradation in sound quality - probably because while the mixamp has it's benefits, the sound sucks.

I am now interested in upgrading to a dedicated dac / amp of reasonable quality (budget circa $1000 on each), headphones would be upgraded at a later date.  The purposes of this setup are mostly movies and some gaming, no music listening will be enjoyed through this setup.

What I'm stuck on is the source and path to dac.  I have found no such device that can manage the decoding of surround streams between source device and DAC (aside from the $3000 smyth contraption, which is not going to happen.)  So it seems the mixdown would have to be done at the software level - am I even going to have a decent output to feed the dac?

Interested in what you guys are running and what hardware might work well for these uses

Thanks!!

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 7
  Hello,  I've put this in the gaming forum as half my sources are the PS4, if it's better placed elsewhere please move.  
I've found myself using headphones 90% of the time now and am trying to get my head around what to do about this.  My current setup looks like this:
PS4 -> AVR -> TV HDMI IN / Opt out -> astro mixamp 5.8 -> o2 amp -> beyer mmx300
The reason I run it through the TV like that is the AVR will output over HDMI when in standby and it saves me changing settings / cables.  I have noticed no degradation in sound quality - probably because while the mixamp has it's benefits, the sound sucks.
I am now interested in upgrading to a dedicated dac / amp of reasonable quality (budget circa $1000 on each), headphones would be upgraded at a later date.  The purposes of this setup are mostly movies and some gaming, no music listening will be enjoyed through this setup.
What I'm stuck on is the source and path to dac.  I have found no such device that can manage the decoding of surround streams between source device and DAC (aside from the $3000 smyth contraption, which is not going to happen.)  So it seems the mixdown would have to be done at the software level - am I even going to have a decent output to feed the dac?
Interested in what you guys are running and what hardware might work well for these uses

Does the TV compress (DDL) 6-channels (5.1) of digital audio, out it's optical port, as the Astro Mix-amp needs to be sent a compress DDL (Dolby Digital Live) 6-channel audio signal, for headphone surround sound.

My two cents is to buy a Yamaha A/V receiver, they come with Silent Cinema, Yamaha's own headphone surround sound technology.
Run HDMI from the PS4 to the receiver, then HDMI from the receiver to the screen.
Plug headphones directly into the receiver's headphone jack.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/home-theater-receivers/1.html?brand=&r=53f5aeda
I would think the Yamaha RX-V675 or RX-A710 (refurbs, both $350) A/V receiver would do the job.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 7
  Does the TV compress (DDL) 6-channels (5.1) of digital audio, out it's optical port, as the Astro Mix-amp needs to be sent a compress DDL (Dolby Digital Live) 6-channel audio signal, for headphone surround sound.

My two cents is to buy a Yamaha A/V receiver, they come with Silent Cinema, Yamaha's own headphone surround sound technology.
Run HDMI from the PS4 to the receiver, then HDMI from the receiver to the screen.
Plug headphones directly into the receiver's headphone jack.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/home-theater-receivers/1.html?brand=&r=53f5aeda
I would think the Yamaha RX-V675 or RX-A710 (refurbs, both $350) A/V receiver would do the job.

Actually I have no idea, whatever the TV does to it probably isn't ideal, however I've noticed no difference between doing it this way or when I just had it connected directly to either PS4 or HTPC, so I've just left it this way for reasons of convenience.

My current AVR is marantz SR6005 which can do dolby headphone over the headphone out, It's OK I guess but I'm hoping to build a new dedicated setup for headphones (if it's going to be an improvement)

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 7
  Actually I have no idea, whatever the TV does to it probably isn't ideal, however I've noticed no difference between doing it this way or when I just had it connected directly to either PS4 or HTPC, so I've just left it this way for reasons of convenience.

My current AVR is marantz SR6005 which can do Dolby headphone over the headphone out, It's OK I guess but I'm hoping to build a new dedicated setup for headphones (if it's going to be an improvement)

It's kind of difficult to get really good sound from "gaming surround sound hardware", the market is driven by low price (teenagers?)
Where as older people that have the cash to spare (for Marantz?) that
want to improve on their Classical or Pink Floyd (2-channel stereo) music, that they have listened to over 500 times.

Your Beyer MMX300s are 32-Ohm DT770s with an mic attached, your gaming might do a little better with open headphones (plugged into the Marantz).
Like Beyer DT880s or DT990s, might even check out the AKG K612 Pro headphones.

When you connected the Astro Mix-amp directly to the optical output on the PS4, did you make sure the PS4 was set to "Dolby", in the PS4 audio setting?
Otherwise you will not be using the Mix-amp's headphone surround sound features.

For best headphone sound quality, run HDMI from PS4 to AVR (& HDMI from AVR to TV) and plug headphones directly into AVR.
The Marantz's audio quality should be a fair bit (noticeabiliy) better then the mix-amps.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 7
I just wanted to throw out there that if you're looking at an HTPC, per the thread title, you absolutely can have surround with a dedicated DAC/Amp.  I use a Sound Blaster Omni to process the virtual surround into a stereo signal.  Then I use the optical out on the Omni into a dedicated DAC and Amp.  This gives me the best of both worlds for my PC gaming (surround) and music (stereo).  

This would work well for your movie-watching and maybe some Steam Big Picture gaming.  Unfortunately, as PurpleAngel said, there isn't a really great way to do this from a console.  You've got a leg up with that really expensive, hard to find AVR; you should take advantage.  

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 7
Looks like this will be as difficult as I thought - may refocus on a setup just for the HTPC, I'll take that over to the XBMC forums though as there isn't really a place it fits on here.  As far as gaming goes looks like it's going to be the AVR out for single and the astro for multi, thanks for the input guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back