Mid Hi-fi setup - funds allocation between HF/Amp/Source
Jul 9, 2009 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

s_nyc

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, apologies if this thread has not been started where it should but since it relates to headphones, amps and sources at the same time, I made a random pick!
beyersmile.png

The question is: how would you allocate a +-$1500 budget among headphones (1 pair), amp and source/transport? Also, feel free to post your "ideal" mid-fi setup!

I am only starting to build mine but would probably tend towards the following setup (for which I should be happy to receive any comments):

Headphones: Ultrasone Pro 900 ($400-500)
Amp: Lehmann Audio Rhinelander ($450?)
Source: Cambridge DAC Magic ($400)
Transport: whatever $150-200 can buy.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 46
Hello,

I believe that headphones should be the cheapest component in a rig. This is because in most cases, equally priced components tend to lead to imbalance, heaphones as the final output component, don't usually reach their performance-pinnacle with an amp/DAC of the same price-tier.

With an open-dynamic headphone setup, I'd follow a formula of dividing the budget 3/4 for amp/DAC and use the remaining 1/4 for the headphones, I'm not big on transports, I do nicely with $100 stuff.

Your starting point with that rig isn't bad, but I'd drop the headphones one tier and nudge up the amp one tier. This is all babble about the cost-performance relation however, I do not know how those specific components would work together.

My own vision on the ideal mid-fi setup would be:
BelCanto DAC 1 > Meier-Audio CORDA OPERA > Denon AH-D2000
smily_headphones1.gif

(though I'd like to consider these to be hi-fi products, mid-fi is under $300 IMHO)

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 46
Great - very interesting. I somehow suspected that, but the catch its that I already have the headphones! :) I guess I will have to extend my budget for the amp/DAC section now!

I am not sure about the price of your suggested amp/DACs since they seem to be discontinued items, but would rather put more on the DAC than the amp?

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 46
Spend all your money on used equipment and you'll get very far with $1500.

IMO, getting a capable headphone with your desired sound signature should be first and foremost.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 46
is this an end setup, or just a step in between? If the latter, depending on what you use at the moment, focus on the headphone and upgrade amp/source later (of course, you'll need at least a decent level anyway).
If the first... I could be very happy with: CI Audio VDA2 ($600) -> GS Solo (no PSU1 ~$600) -> HD600/650 (~$400)... which I accidentally use here
smile.gif

And of course you can expand/change this setup with other headphones later if needed.

Since you already have the headphones, do you want to keep these to build a set around? Do you want something more versatile for use with other headphones later? Or do you want suggestions that basically start at scratch?
In the end, the headphone is the thing that actually produces the sound and is the biggest contributor to the sound signature. So as many here, I'd focus on that.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is this an end setup, or just a step in between? If the latter, depending on what you use at the moment, focus on the headphone and upgrade amp/source later (of course, you'll need at least a decent level anyway).
If the first... I could be very happy with: CI Audio VDA2 ($600) -> GS Solo (no PSU1 ~$600) -> HD600/650 (~$400)... which I accidentally use here
smile.gif

And of course you can expand/change this setup with other headphones later if needed.

Since you already have the headphones, do you want to keep these to build a set around? Do you want something more versatile for use with other headphones later? Or do you want suggestions that basically start at scratch?
In the end, the headphone is the thing that actually produces the sound and is the biggest contributor to the sound signature. So as many here, I'd focus on that.

Thanks for your thoughts and questions!

Actually, the idea is that this would be a final setup (well, never say never...) that I would built in approximately 6 months or so around the Ultrasones, which I much intend to keep first because I like them and second because they were a gift. The setup as such does not need to be versatile. I would be happy as long as each element has great synergies with the others!

I am slightly ashamed to admit that they are currently amped by a small Fiio E5, but the next step will be to find them a proper amp (Lehmann Audio or Graham Slee are my bets for the moment, but I might try to find a used Rudistor). In terms of source, I currently use an iPod Classic with AAC @320kbps, which is very convenient. I do plan to upgrade eventually to a cd player with built-in or separate DAC.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 46
I agree that the headphone will most determine the sound signature. I have had fun trying out a variety of headphones over several years. So for my DAC and amp I have settled on pieces that are versatile. I like that both of my DACs have many different input options so I can use just about any type of source. Sometimes I use my SACD/CD player, sometimes straight from my PC and often the squeezebox. I also would recommend looking at DIY amps. There are some great values to be found there. I have tried a few different amps and DACs over time and I find the differences in sound signatures to be less pronounced with changes there than with the headphones. Synergy is real though so reading for recommendations is always smart IMO.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 46
90 % of the money to get a headphone you are fine with. I would rather spend the big buck on that and then get some good bang for buck DAC/Amp combo. As for Pro 900 Kee swear by the goldpoint headphone Pro for his Pro 900. I am probably getting that as a final investment and see how it pans out
smily_headphones1.gif
. Dacmagic was quite good but didn´t give me anything over what I already got in the Elite Pro. But certainly see no reason to warn anyone not to get it
smily_headphones1.gif
. Very good bang for buck if you are looking for an external DAC that you can hook up several different sources to.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 46
my 'rule of thumb' is the cost of the gear shouldn't outweigh the cost of the music (vinyl or cd).
As for where to allocate funds .. well you reallj want the best signal feeding into your cans, so its all about the source.
My CD/SACD/DAC cost over 8x the amp and headphones (but they get used in my speaker rig too).

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my 'rule of thumb' is the cost of the gear shouldn't outweigh the cost of the music (vinyl or cd).

I like that one!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for where to allocate funds .. well you reallj want the best signal feeding into your cans, so its all about the source.

This makes me start to wonder if I should not try to find a used Lavry DA10 and use it as headphone amp. So many choices!
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 46
Dac is key. The source is the most important part to build upon. It is also the most expensive.

The best "bang for the buck" dac/amp is right here under your nose.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/da...ne-amp-415986/

Get that. I know it will give you plenty to smile about for the $$.

Otherwise? PS Audio is excellent for dacs and upgradeable to a very high level.

Always troll audiogon for some older high end dacs. I've bought some really sweet flavors there.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 46
I'd spend the majority of your money on an awesome pair of headphones, or a couple of good pairs that you enjoy. Spending only 1/4 of your budget on headphones is, in my opinion, quite daft. But I'm of the opinion that all DAC's sound the same and well designed SS amplifiers shouldn't sound different either. YMMV.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 46
This one's easy.

Phones: Stax Lambda Pro - $250
Amp: Stax SRM1/MK2 - $250
DAC: Choose from among the ECD-1, North Star m192, a solid vintage DAC or similar with the rest.

And don't waste money on cables. Just get some that are mechanically reliable.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 46
Headphones: SR225i @$214 locally
DAC: Audio-GD Compass @$330
Amplifier: If any, Little Dot I+ @~$130
Transport: Logitech Squeezebox Duet @$330

Total: $1004, if I did the math right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back