Mid/Hi-Fi IEM for active use (I'm talking durability here...)
Feb 16, 2009 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

joincoolkidclub

100+ Head-Fier
So... I am looking to upgrade from my current IEM (Nufroce NE-7M) and was looking at everything from the UM1/Super.fi 5 Pro/ER4P/SE310/er6i through the Westone 3/triple.fi 10 pro/SE530 BLAHBLAHBLAH and so forth.

I treat everything I own like an 8 year old boy would and am looking for the most durability possible with excellent SQ (comfort a big plus too).

I am using an iPhone 3g generally without an amp (I have the Fiio and Nuforce Icon Mobile, if that makes any difference) and would prefer a fun sound to a sterile one.

Music: jazz (Coltrane, Miles, Coleman), folk (Neil Young, Joanna Newsom, Andrew Bird), Tom Waits (his own damn genre), and lots and lots of pop (Animal Collective and other avant garde in particular).

If anyone has any thoughts, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
NICK

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 10
For durability and good sound, I like my Shure E5 (better cable than on the rest of the Shure line), or with a slightly warmer sound (less clear highs, warmer low-end), its cousin the Westone UM2 (different cable but very durable). No durability issues with my E5 after two years of nightly use, great for jazz.

Of course, UE Super.fi 5 Pro and Triple.fi 10 Pro have good to great sound and replaceable cables (the reason I have used them when I travel), but there seems to be some issues with obtaining replacement cables recently.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 10
Thank you kindly for your response!

Is the Westone UM2 murky or does it have less impact because of warmth?

Nice to hear about the E5, something I haven't heard very much about up to this point.

A bit more research concerning that model will follow.

Thanks again,
NICK

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 10
i will like to recommend again the audio technica ck10. it is small, has a hard aluminium outer shield and very durable cables and good stress relief. its weak point is its headphone jack: straight but other than that, the most durable iem i have tried. e500, um2, er4s, monster turbine and a whole host of others. audio technica are by far making the strongest iems now. they are not cheap though and cost over 300$ usd.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 10
I would characterize the UM2s as a bit murkier due to both the warmth and the rolled off highs compared to the E5s. Now some would say that the E5 has a treble emphasis or peak, but to me the E5 sounds clearer than the UM2.

YMMV.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 10
Oh, and shigzeo is right, there are a lot of very durable IEMs on the market right now (Turbines included, very impressed with their build quality). Haven't tried the CK10s, sound interesting.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 10
Westone 3s are on my list to try, but I cannot provide a comparison. Both UEs have better treble than the UM2; to me the TF10P has the best treble of balanced armature IEMs (dynamics are another story).

There are many other threads that compare the UEs, Shures, etc. with the Westone 3, so search and ye shall find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back