Mid-fi heaven?
Aug 4, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #46 of 67
I think this all boils down to your innate (and honest) requirements for this particular hobby. Throughout my decade-long journey, I've come across many types of audiophiles - some are more of a melophile; they are in this for the music. Hence, the music always comes first.

Then, there are many who obsessively chase after gear - they constantly buy the latest and the greatest; strangely, the more expensive the item, the better it will be.

These are just 2 distinct examples, but they are no by no means representative of the wide spectrum of audiophiles. Many of us fall somewhere along the polar extremes. For myself, I love my music, but I also enjoy listening to new gear (headphones mostly, then IEMs, then DACs and amplifiers).

I could make an educated guess that if someone was in this solely for the music, they could be perfectly happy with a mid-to-high-end headphone/IEM; say, something that hovers around the $1,000 mark. That's the tier that best encapsulates a blend of build quality and sound quality; this is also the last stop on the journey before diminishing returns slaps you really hard in the face.

Sadly, I'm also a gear-phile, so I partake in the interminable quest for something new and (possibly) better. But, I never lose focus of my music - that always comes first. :)
For me, I like technology. However, what I like about it, is the choice to get it right. So when my demand is met, I am set. Says the guy with 4 keyboards and 5 mice. :D
So, for my audio quest it was smooth, but energetic presentation. And I found it. RME ADI 2 DAC Helps a LOT. X2's can just do everything in a very all around way, not perfect, but I don't feel like I need to swap headphones between Music, Games and Movies. Lately I have come to the conclusion that I like having less stuff, but more flexible into doing more... Up to a point.

The only “high tier” headphones available with an accurate presentation is the Utopia…and well the Sennheiser Orpheus.
The reason why most of these insanely priced flagships tend to render music in an unpleasant manner is not because of neutrality..but because they boost certain frequencies..certain frequencies that on first listen rather ends up wowing you..because we usually tend to feed brand new gear/headphones with the finest produced music out there. It’s first when you start using it as real headphone and just put on music you love that these things dawn on you…like fx a boost in the presence region (estats) or the treble (HD800, K812, ADX5000).
Here are some TOTL offerings that are a loooong ways from being anywhere close to sounding accurate:
Verité, AB-1266 TC, LCD-4, Susvara, TA Solitaire, ADX5000, SR1a, HE-R10P, Ether 2, 007, 009, Voce..and well the list goes on and on and on.

Mid-Fi? Nahh. More like TOTL sound quality in a far more comfortable package✊
This is why my test playlist consist of mixed recordings. Not something that is mastered to perfection. One of the songs is a Rip from youtube lol. Other than that, it really is a mixed bag in that playlist.
Honestly, I sometimes don't understand headphones. Like X2's Originally, first impressions ehh, good I guess... Later impressions, this is a piece of crap, laughable piece of crap...And yet somehow, years later completely in love with it. That was the point I gave up. :D

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #48 of 67
We all hear SO differently!:astonished:

I see lots of 'phones listed as favourites that I hated or at least tired of quickly. And then I see very few references to my favourites.

I think if you put ten guys in a room with their favourite two headphones, you would end up with at Least 15 different sets of headphones.

That's what makes this hobby so interesting. And never ending since those favourites will undoubtedly change over the years.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #49 of 67
For me, I like technology. However, what I like about it, is the choice to get it right. So when my demand is met, I am set. Says the guy with 4 keyboards and 5 mice. :D
So, for my audio quest it was smooth, but energetic presentation. And I found it. RME ADI 2 DAC Helps a LOT. X2's can just do everything in a very all around way, not perfect, but I don't feel like I need to swap headphones between Music, Games and Movies. Lately I have come to the conclusion that I like having less stuff, but more flexible into doing more... Up to a point.

This is why my test playlist consist of mixed recordings. Not something that is mastered to perfection. One of the songs is a Rip from youtube lol. Other than that, it really is a mixed bag in that playlist.
Honestly, I sometimes don't understand headphones. Like X2's Originally, first impressions ehh, good I guess... Later impressions, this is a piece of crap, laughable piece of crap...And yet somehow, years later completely in love with it. That was the point I gave up. :D
Everyone has a different path, clearly -- the X2 was one of my first 'serious' headphones (I come from speakers and my stereo system still far outstrips any of my headphones). I had the AKG Q701 before and found them kind of thin. My initial response to the X2HR (think I paid $100) was "not bad for the price" and they sounded fuller than the AKGs, but I wasn't happy with them, and just, you know, kept going. Now, I keep them mostly because they're just not worth selling, and they get little to no head time.

Aug 5, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #51 of 67
My midfi heaven is easily my DT1990s. So far I've been fortunate enough to have owned: Auteur, T1p, Clear, Elex, Elegia, LCD-X (2021 rev), but I just keep coming back to my 1990s with Dekoni velours. If I could only own one pair of cans, it would be them. The pads completely solve the piercing treble, and they just become a beautifully neutral and enjoyable pair of headphones. I use them daily and even after spending time with kilobuck cans these just impress the heck out of me.

edit: I am not a rich man, I have sold all but the Auteur :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #52 of 67
I'm totally a mid-fi guy.. currently have hifiman 400i 2020, akg702, b&o he6 (for portable), k5 pro amp / dac, and zen blue for bluetooth stereo speaker streaming. Def putting on the brakes a bit now as I can safely say I'm pretty satisfied with the gear. What is lacking in gear quality i'll supplement with drugs :p

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #54 of 67
Mechs are another endless money-sucking pit, IMO. I just have the one mech (a Keychron K2), but I'm afraid of peering into the abyss.

Back to the topic at hand - I think the allure of mid-fi is in its promise of providing 70-80% of top-level sound at a fraction of TOTL prices. For example, for the price of one single summit-fi headphone - such as the Utopia - you could actually purchase up to 10 mid-fi headphones that vary in sound signature, quality, appearance, comfort, et al.

Some say it's better to divert the money spent on pursuing mid-fi-tier equipment on one high-end product instead. However, others might disagree - it's nice to swim in the mid-fi tier. :)

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #55 of 67
Mechs are another endless money-sucking pit, IMO. I just have the one mech (a Keychron K2), but I'm afraid of peering into the abyss.

Back to the topic at hand - I think the allure of mid-fi is in its promise of providing 70-80% of top-level sound at a fraction of TOTL prices. For example, for the price of one single summit-fi headphone - such as the Utopia - you could actually purchase up to 10 mid-fi headphones that vary in sound signature, quality, appearance, comfort, et al.

Some say it's better to divert the money spent on pursuing mid-fi-tier equipment on one high-end product instead. However, others might disagree - it's nice to swim in the mid-fi tier. :)
One might say that mid-fi heaven is better than TOTL purgatory… emotion over equipment…

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #56 of 67

Wait to go into the Abyss... when they develop some closed back headphones :wink:

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #57 of 67
Wait to go into the Abyss... when they develop some closed back headphones :wink:
Sorry, my friend, I think that I'm already locked within this abyss. Well, I might as well enjoy it! :sweat_smile:

1628366067371.png

And yes, I hope Abyss doesn't make any closed-back headphones... yet. Let me get my Rögnir first!

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #59 of 67
Sep 26, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #60 of 67
HD650/HD600 with a Bottlehead crack is unbeatable at it’s price point.

LCD-2 classic with a powerful current driven amp/older Burson soloist/Schiit amps.

He500 with V200 or one of the Lake People amps.

I think there’s some absolute steals to be had with the used market and or older models of amps and headphones.

edit: brands such as Topping are producing some fabulous sounding stuff at killer prices as well. This is really good to see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back