mid-fi DACs that have Crossfeed?
May 16, 2018 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Anaz

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I’ve been listening to a lot of jazz recorded in the 40s and 50s and find that some tracks are fatiguing due to the channel separation, so I’m looking for a DAC with a crossfeed function.

The RME ADI-2 DAC fits the bill but I’d prefer a DAC without an amp section and buy a higher end amp as my next upgrade.

My lowly Emotiva Little Ego DAC/amp has a crossfeed function so it can’t be that hard/expensive to implement :thinking:

Also, I’m using iTunes Music on OS X so that rules out crossfeed via software/apps - I haven’t found anything so far, but am open to suggestions.

May 17, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks! I was leaning towards a DAC solution but Meier’s amps with crossfeed look interesting - especially the Jazz and Jazz-ff.

Meier’s info page on crossfeed is very informative with audio samples of their crossfeed implemtation.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 11
Audio Hijack from Rogue Amoeba can capture audio from iTunes, via AU-plugin apply crossfeed, and then route the audio to usb-output. I haven't tested with iTunes Music, only with my own iTunes library. There are a few crossfeed-plugins available, I think both software and hardware crossfeed options have been discussed on Head-Fi previously (in Sound Science as far as I remember).

May 17, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 11
Audio Hijack from Rogue Amoeba can capture audio from iTunes, via AU-plugin apply crossfeed, and then route the audio to usb-output. I haven't tested with iTunes Music, only with my own iTunes library. There are a few crossfeed-plugins available, I think both software and hardware crossfeed options have been discussed on Head-Fi previously (in Sound Science as far as I remember).
Thanks for the info, I’ll download the Audio Hijack demo later this evening and give it a shot. I’ll also search the Sound Science forum :thumbsup:

May 17, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 11
I have/had two hardware crossfeed units also, one simple and one advanced (Meier Cross-1). I actually think they are more flexible than the software solution, in that they can be used between any DAC and AMP irrespective of source. The software plugins in reality limits you to using Mac/PC, when you need crossfeed for those particular recordings.

May 17, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #7 of 11
I have/had two hardware crossfeed units also, one simple and one advanced (Meier Cross-1). I actually think they are more flexible than the software solution, in that they can be used between any DAC and AMP irrespective of source. The software plugins in reality limits you to using Mac/PC, when you need crossfeed for those particular recordings.
Agreed, when it comes to audio listening, I generally prefer not to use software solutions. I did a search for the Meir Corda Cross-1 and it looks like it’s not offered for sale now or it was a DIY project. Where did you get yours?

May 17, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 11
The RME may have misled you into thinking that crossfeed is naturally part of a DAC. This is only so when using DSP.

Analogue crossfeed is usually done in a headphone amp.

As well as the Meier gear, there is the iFi Audio micro iCAN (the lower 3D setting is actually crossfeed) and the SPL Phonitor range.

May 17, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 11
The RME may have misled you into thinking that crossfeed is naturally part of a DAC. This is only so when using DSP.

Analogue crossfeed is usually done in a headphone amp.

As well as the Meier gear, there is the iFi Audio micro iCAN (the lower 3D setting is actually crossfeed) and the SPL Phonitor range.

Yes, you're correct. The pointer to look at Meier's products was enlightening when I saw crossfeed was implemented in his amps ... plus it appears Dr. Jan Meier has a crossfeed algorithm named after him.

...Is the 3D option on all iFi DAC/amps crossfeed?

May 18, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 11
...Is the 3D option on all iFi DAC/amps crossfeed?
Not quite.

The micro iCAN has two settings of the 3D switch. One is 3D, the other is crossfeed.

The Pro iCAN takes it further and gives 3 crossfeed settings but at a much higher price.

The micro iDSD only has 3D.

The SPL Phonitor range does it best really as they are so adjustable: https://spl.audio/studio/phonitor-mini/?lang=en

May 18, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Not quite.

The micro iCAN has two settings of the 3D switch. One is 3D, the other is crossfeed.

The Pro iCAN takes it further and gives 3 crossfeed settings but at a much higher price.

The micro iDSD only has 3D.

The SPL Phonitor range does it best really as they are so adjustable: https://spl.audio/studio/phonitor-mini/?lang=en
Thank you for the detailed info - much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back