Mid-Fi Closed Portable Headphone Battle 2012 Discussion V3 [FINAL]
Dec 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #196 of 211
Quote:
Personally I don't think you should rule out the 1R. The sound quality surprised me and I find them to be very enjoyable cans. Sure the build is slightly questionable (I don't think it's that bad honestly - not built like a tank like the M50 but definitely better than many plastic toys out there) but as long as you take care of them you shouldn't have a problem. I invested in them, thinking I would try them and trade them up right away for another new headphone (M-100, M4U1, Momentum etc.) but in time I now find them indispensable. Not everyone will be a fan of their warmth and overall sound sig, but they tick so many boxes for me in a portable can while still sounding natural and balanced with sparkle but no fatigue - I'm finding it hard to get rid of them and probably won't. That said, I still intend to try the other portables at some point (when funds allow).

Well, in regards to the MDR-1R vs M50's, how does the mid-range and bass differ on each? What is different sound-wise on the  MDR-1R? Do they leak a lot?

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #197 of 211
The 1R is overall warmer with more upfront midrange. The highs are also not as emphasized as the M50s, which to me has too much emphasis, but by no means is the 1R a dark headphone. The 1R sounds more full-bodied while not being slow to my ears. Bass is nice, defined, and punchy with good extension. To my ears, they are an overall good upgrade to the M50 with more balance but at the same time with a different, warmer flavor. I usually don't like headphones that are too warm or too cold - this is a pleasant in-the-middle can. Very musical and intimate with better imaging and soundstage. Not as aggressive as the M50 but not completely laidback as there is plenty of energy.

I listen at moderate volumes and so far leakage has not been an issue according to my girlfriend.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #198 of 211
I'm actually ready to pass on all of these headphones. I was looking forward to starting the new year with new cans, but I'll just wait.

Anyone tried the akg k550 with a zo amp? would that improve their bass impact?

Anyone know of a place that sells denon ah-d600 for $300?

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #200 of 211
Quote:
Quote:
I'm actually ready to pass on all of these headphones. I was looking forward to starting the new year with new cans, but I'll just wait.

Same thing here.. It's a shame the K550's have bad sealing, as those would be perfect for me otherwise.

Yeah the seal of the K550 is terrible. I couldn't get a seal on it whatsoever.

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #202 of 211
Quote:
My gut feeling is that the majority of those who are raving about the K167 haven't yet tried the M-100.

And my gut feeling is that those who are raving about the M100 haven't yet tried the K167
wink.gif

Harsh highs??? Oh for God sake...!

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #203 of 211
So, where are the reviews?

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #205 of 211
Whelp, I'm calling it quits until next year. The M100s were highest on my radar, until I've finally read enough to determine that instead of making an even more balanced M80 with better mids (my biggest complaint about the M80s), we've just got more bass and mids that still won't do enough for me. Momentum won't do because who likes them more than anyone else? Tyll. And I've come to realize I don't appreciate the same qualities he does. MDR-1R just seem unremarkable, even if a good amount of people like them. 

It's such a bummer. I really wanted the M100s for their design, features, and imagined SQ (better M80). While 90% of people in the M100 thread were calling for the M100s to have more bass than the M80s, I was one of the only people calling for a different signature-more balanced than M80s with, specifically, better mids. Looks like the masses got their way, and it's a bummer we have just another V-shaped portable consumer headphone. It's disappointing that the manufacturers aren't recognizing the 1 area in the industry which remains to be developed-balanced, portable headphones. It is impossible to find a headphone that has 1) a balanced signature 2) folding cups 3) detachable cables 4) a generally low profile 5) portable features like a small case or mic controls on the cables 6) comfortable 7) good isolation 8) easy to drive. 

Literally, take the M100s, give them a gloriously balanced signature, enlarge the cups just a little bit so all the comfort complaints disappear, and they would become for the next 5 years what the M50s were for so long. They would be the absolute standard bearer of recommendations. 

Beyerdynamic is supposedly coming out with some new headphones next year, noticeably something to replace the 770s. Hopefully they can deliver. 

On second thought, maybe I just take up V-Moda on this 2 free headphones offer and get M100s and realize I may never find a headphone that is uncompromising for me. My criticism of the M100 isn't based on actually hearing them, so maybe I would actually like them. Val, seriously if you want to woo this community, come out with extra supple pads for the M100s that greatly increase comfort and change the signature to be a bit more balanced. I know his opposition to this has always been the fact that different pads change the signature, but hey, not everyone is entirely enamored with the M100s, so releasing new pads can actually only increase the number of people who are pleased with M100s. It's such a win-win-win-win-win, I can't see any reason not to do it. If he hits a good balanced signature, people on here would buy them in droves, meaning more money for V Moda, a better perception of V Moda from people who think they only make consumer phones, etc.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #206 of 211
Quote:
Whelp, I'm calling it quits until next year. The M100s were highest on my radar, until I've finally read enough to determine that instead of making an even more balanced M80 with better mids (my biggest complaint about the M80s), we've just got more bass and mids that still won't do enough for me. Momentum won't do because who likes them more than anyone else? Tyll. And I've come to realize I don't appreciate the same qualities he does. MDR-1R just seem unremarkable, even if a good amount of people like them. 

It's such a bummer. I really wanted the M100s for their design, features, and imagined SQ (better M80). While 90% of people in the M100 thread were calling for the M100s to have more bass than the M80s, I was one of the only people calling for a different signature-more balanced than M80s with, specifically, better mids. Looks like the masses got their way, and it's a bummer we have just another V-shaped portable consumer headphone. It's disappointing that the manufacturers aren't recognizing the 1 area in the industry which remains to be developed-balanced, portable headphones. It is impossible to find a headphone that has 1) a balanced signature 2) folding cups 3) detachable cables 4) a generally low profile 5) portable features like a small case or mic controls on the cables 6) comfortable 7) good isolation 8) easy to drive. 

Literally, take the M100s, give them a gloriously balanced signature, enlarge the cups just a little bit so all the comfort complaints disappear, and they would become for the next 5 years what the M50s were for so long. They would be the absolute standard bearer of recommendations. 

Beyerdynamic is supposedly coming out with some new headphones next year, noticeably something to replace the 770s. Hopefully they can deliver. 

On second thought, maybe I just take up V-Moda on this 2 free headphones offer and get M100s and realize I may never find a headphone that is uncompromising for me. My criticism of the M100 isn't based on actually hearing them, so maybe I would actually like them. Val, seriously if you want to woo this community, come out with extra supple pads for the M100s that greatly increase comfort and change the signature to be a bit more balanced. I know his opposition to this has always been the fact that different pads change the signature, but hey, not everyone is entirely enamored with the M100s, so releasing new pads can actually only increase the number of people who are pleased with M100s. It's such a win-win-win-win-win, I can't see any reason not to do it. If he hits a good balanced signature, people on here would buy them in droves, meaning more money for V Moda, a better perception of V Moda from people who think they only make consumer phones, etc.

I feel the same regarding being on a different page from Tyll, but I understand that doesn't necessarily mean that we are on the same page.  However, don't give up on the M-100 without hearing them.  They may surprise you.  It was the mids and the highs that surprised me in a good way, not just the bass.  The bass is boosted, but these are not v-shape cans, at least not on the high end.  The M-100 has the smoothest extended highs I have ever heard on a headphone.  In contrast, I thought Momentum had harsh highs and muddy bass that intruded too far into the mids without going deep enough into the sub bass region.  Next to the Ultrasone Signature Pro, the M-100 is the best closed headphone I have heard at any price.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #207 of 211
To hear these m100. I did not like the Momentums at all. Right now my 2nd pair is between DT 770, MDR1r and M100, unless the K267 gets rave reviews if it ever comes out. I am very satisfied with my K167 but want a 2nd pair of closed cans. I would just like to hear all before buying. I hate trial and error.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #208 of 211
I've been looking into the UE6000 and AKG K167. I believe both headphones have what I am looking for in my next upgrade. I briefly auditioned the UE6000 at the Apple Store a few weeks ago, and I liked their sound signature. I'm thinking of passing by for another listen, but in the meantime can anyone with experience with both compare the two? 

May 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #209 of 211
*bump*

I noticed Best Buy had a lot of these newer portable headphones up for audition. I honestly didn't care for the sound of many of them or the fit (one of the Audio Technica pairs they had kept sliding off my head and were totally non-adjustable), but I liked the demo of the Sennheiser Momentums. The sound samples they had were amazing -detailed, warm, amazing soundstage- and I bought them, thinking they would be ideal for both portable use and an overall audio upgrade.

3 days later and after plenty of burn-in, they are going back. I have tried every player and every amp/EQ combination I can think of and I simply cannot get them to sound anywhere near as good as the in-store demo pair. I understand the so-called "Sennheiser Veil" and they worked good for a handful of tracks (notably, classical), but they were just too dark and way too inconsistent from track to track (particularly on female vocals...Roxette isn't supposed to sound boring). And of the demo headphones there, these sounded the best by far. I want to say the AKG 550's were worthy of another listen though, but this time to my own music and not the in-store samples. But then again, they cost roughly the same as the 702. Hmm...

So...I think I'm sticking with IEM's for portable use for now, if that is the best these "Mid-Fi" portables can do.

Edit: And...after reading the above, the 550's are eliminated from contention because of the poor seal. Too bad.

May 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #210 of 211
Quote:
*bump*

I noticed Best Buy had a lot of these newer portable headphones up for audition. I honestly didn't care for the sound of many of them or the fit (one of the Audio Technica pairs they had kept sliding off my head and were totally non-adjustable), but I liked the demo of the Sennheiser Momentums. The sound samples they had were amazing -detailed, warm, amazing soundstage- and I bought them, thinking they would be ideal for both portable use and an overall audio upgrade.

3 days later and after plenty of burn-in, they are going back. I have tried every player and every amp/EQ combination I can think of and I simply cannot get them to sound anywhere near as good as the in-store demo pair. I understand the so-called "Sennheiser Veil" and they worked good for a handful of tracks (notably, classical), but they were just too dark and way too inconsistent from track to track (particularly on female vocals...Roxette isn't supposed to sound boring). And of the demo headphones there, these sounded the best by far. I want to say the AKG 550's were worthy of another listen though, but this time to my own music and not the in-store samples. But then again, they cost roughly the same as the 702. Hmm...

So...I think I'm sticking with IEM's for portable use for now, if that is the best these "Mid-Fi" portables can do.

Edit: And...after reading the above, the 550's are eliminated from contention because of the poor seal. Too bad.

Best Buy doesn't have the V-Moda M-100 and IMO they are superior to EVERY offering at Best Buy, including Momentum,  so they may be worthwhile to try since they are great about returns.  I have also auditioned all but three of the headphones on this survey and find the M-100 superior to all that I have tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back