Mid-Fi Closed Portable Headphone Battle 2012 Discussion V3 [FINAL]
Nov 17, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #121 of 211
Quote:
Thank you for such detailed (and slightly comical) impressions Curly - I'm sure it will help anyone interested in both the PSB M4U 1 & 2, as well as the M-100's.

tongue_smile.gif

I made a concerted effort to not go too detailed, however.  I feel that it's more of an underscoring of their most apparent performance differences presented within the context of my personal listening habits/preferences. (knowing the "reviewer" does matter)

An aside, has the sonic character of the K551 been assessed yet?  Has it been confirmed to perform near-identically to the K550 as some (myself included) assumed?

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #122 of 211
EXCELLENT write-up Curly!!! I particularly loved the AKG case. Now THAT'S quality, and obviously a fine example of German engineering. :) Seriously though, your review makes me curious to try out the M-100. If only it were widely available.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #125 of 211
Quote:
EXCELLENT write-up Curly!!! I particularly loved the AKG case. Now THAT'S quality, and obviously a fine example of German engineering.
smily_headphones1.gif
Seriously though, your review makes me curious to try out the M-100. If only it were widely available.

I'm happy to read that you have some interest in the M-100.  It's a great headphone and, while I wanted to be as transparent as possible, I made an honest effort to not bury what it had to offer in my writeup.  It's a fantastic headphone for the right set of ears -- just not these two.

It's truly unfortunate that the M4U 1 causes me as much discomfort as it does.  Perhaps I have a lower threshold than most... who knows.  Sonically, I truly adore what it has to offer and could see it as my closed-back endgame.  I'm hoping that PSB comes out with a new model/revision or, should I not be able to find what I'm looking for in another 'phone, that I'm able to modify it enough to work for me.  From what I've read, I only have a few other options: the KRK KNS 8400 and Beyerdynamic DT250-250.  The turnoff with the latter are comments along the lines of "warmth, supra-aural sized earpads," and "lacking in extension."  But damn, you just can't beat that Beyer comfort!  I received the KRK today and, so far, they've made a decent first impression.  They do have a sense of thinness out of the box, but we'll see what happens after they get some hours on the drivers.  Of course, if I could accommodate open backs I would re-buy the HD600 and call it a day. :)

Quote:

No one should support any headphone that is supposed to look similar, or evoke imagery of Beats by Dre 

I loathe every full-size model (I haven't tried their in-ears) of Beats, but I'm personally happy that they came to market.  Don't get me wrong, Iovine is a scoundrel and I despise the fact that he's made a(nother) boatload of cash off of the brand, but it really did show the profit potential of premium headphones.  Every audio component manufacturer wants a piece of that pie now whether they've produced headphones in the past or not and competition is only good for an educated end user.  Beats kicked open the door for a lot of fashion-first crap to be certain, but they've also (re-)invigorated manufacturers to put forth their best effort to capture a share of a market that's much broader than it was less than five years ago.  Pricing for "flagship" cans has become ludicrous, but there are so many options in the $200-$400 range that there's literally something for everyone (I mean, this thread exists!) and we're finally, FINALLY receiving a decent selection of quality closed-back offerings within that price bracket.

With that said, some imitation is assured.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #126 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly21029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm happy to read that you have some interest in the M-100.  It's a great headphone and, while I wanted to be as transparent as possible, I made an honest effort to not bury what it had to offer in my writeup.  It's a fantastic headphone for the right set of ears -- just not these two.

That's just it though - you really have to just strap these things on and try them for yourself with YOUR rig. All of the forum analysis in the world doesn't equal one long evening with a new set of cans jacked into your own amp/source. I did audition the M-80 last year and walked away unimpressed. However, with V-Moda's generous 60 day try-out policy I may have to cave on the M-100 and take it for a spin. Exactly the kind of thing I love about this hobby. :)

And yes, I agree that Beyer comfort is not something to be underestimated in the overall equation...

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #129 of 211
Quote:
I loathe every full-size model (I haven't tried their in-ears) of Beats, but I'm personally happy that they came to market.  Don't get me wrong, Iovine is a scoundrel and I despise the fact that he's made a(nother) boatload of cash off of the brand, but it really did show the profit potential of premium headphones.  Every audio component manufacturer wants a piece of that pie now whether they've produced headphones in the past or not and competition is only good for an educated end user.  Beats kicked open the door for a lot of fashion-first crap to be certain, but they've also (re-)invigorated manufacturers to put forth their best effort to capture a share of a market that's much broader than it was less than five years ago.  Pricing for "flagship" cans has become ludicrous, but there are so many options in the $200-$400 range that there's literally something for everyone (I mean, this thread exists!) and we're finally, FINALLY receiving a decent selection of quality closed-back offerings within that price bracket.  

Ha ha, so we should be grateful for those flimsy things that look like they emerged from a Toys"R"Us?

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #130 of 211

I really disagree with this. I've only seen it lead to manufacturers spending more on marketing and increasing prices, especially on their fashion-oriented designs which attract a stonking great markup.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #131 of 211
Quote:

Ha ha, so we should be grateful for those flimsy things that look like they emerged from a Toys"R"Us?

No, but the affect they've had on the headphone landscape is undeniable. (as much as it pains me to give credit where it's due in this case)

Quote:
I really disagree with this. I've only seen it lead to manufacturers spending more on marketing and increasing prices, especially on their fashion-oriented designs which attract a stonking great markup.

Quote:

Heh... it seems that you actually somewhat agree.

I'm not one to shy away from the unpopular opinion.  I'm fully aware of Beats' reputation on Head-Fi and other enthusiast forum, and I agree with consensus -- they're overpriced, mediocre-at-best bric-a-brac.  However, it's difficult to deny the positives that have come in the wake of their success.  Quality full-sized, sealed headphones used to be in short supply.  They still are compared to the options available with open backs, but at least there's been SOME traction. (whether they look nice or not is irrelevant)  In addition, think of the longstanding popular recommendations for full-sized closed headphones within the cited price bracket before the Beats made bank.  Shure SRH840: MSRP $249.  Beyerdynamic DT770: MSRP $289.  AKG K271: MSRP $299.  Denon AH-D2000: MSRP $399.  I can only speak for myself, but I don't consider any of those headphones to be worth their MSRP. (three out of the four around half, in fact)  The PSB M4U 1, however, I feel is worth the $300 investment.  The M-100?  Worth the $310 investment. (despite their signature not fitting my needs)  The AKG K550 for $300?  Not quite, but I'd be comfortable putting it in the $199-$249 range.  Others from "the old guard" also feel that the Sennheiser Momentums and Sony MDR-1R are worth their asking prices, but I haven't heard them and therefore have no comment.  Point being, I don't feel that manufacturers have increased prices on the whole while letting quality go by the wayside. (there are obvious exceptions like the Amperior, however)  In fact, with some lauded newcomers like the UE6000 for MSRP $199 and the KRK KNS 8400 for MSRP $149 subjectively being considered upgrades to the longstanding ATH-M50 value can du jour, I feel that the "sweet spot" price for closed cans may actually be decreasing. (a competitive market at work)  I would be in agreement, however, that marketing noise and frenzied consumerism has been amplified because of the Beats' introduction.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #132 of 211
For me, I've tried the headphones below, and haven't found what I need, which is a mix of versatility, portability, build quality, and sound quality.

1. UE 6000
  2. UE 9000 (^By extension)
  3. V-MODA M-100
  1. Sennheiser Momentum

This leaves me with...

1. AKG K267 Tiesto (Mid December Pre-Order)
  2. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (Limited Modified Detachable version.)

Is there anything else I may like? I'm looking to upgrade from or replace my dead M50's.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #133 of 211
Quote:
For me, I've tried the headphones below, and haven't found what I need, which is a mix of versatility, portability, build quality, and sound quality.

1. UE 6000
  2. UE 9000 (^By extension)
  3. V-MODA M-100
  1. Sennheiser Momentum

This leaves me with...

1. AKG K267 Tiesto (Mid December Pre-Order)
  2. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (Limited Modified Detachable version.)

Is there anything else I may like? I'm looking to upgrade from or replace my dead M50's.

Appearance aside, I am still curious to audition the Yamaha Pro 500 (supposedly out tomorrow) and the Velodyne V-True (available now through Velodyne).  Also, if you would be willing to extend your budget, the Ultrasone Sig DJ could prove to be your ultimate headphone.  Did you every try the PSB M4U1?  I find them superior to the ATH-M50 in every aspect.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #134 of 211
Quote:
Appearance aside, I am still curious to audition the Yamaha Pro 500 (supposedly out tomorrow) and the Velodyne V-True (available now through Velodyne).  Also, if you would be willing to extend your budget, the Ultrasone Sig DJ could prove to be your ultimate headphone.  Did you every try the PSB M4U1?  I find them superior to the ATH-M50 in every aspect.

I'm looking for a place to try the PSB M4U 2, as I need a place with a god refund policy in Canada. I plan on calling the Sony Store near me today, since they're on their list of distributors. Wish me luck.

In my own opinion, I doubt the M4U 1 will sell much with those crap colors they're selling it in. A muddy red and 'eh' grey...

EDIT: Annnnd nothing. Seems like there's no place near me that carries them, and I really rather not lose shipping and tax costs just to try a headphone. Already lost almost $100 on the M-100's for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back