Mid-fi Challenger: Phillips Fidelio X2 Vs. Sennheiser HD650
Feb 2, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 18

Thank you for the feedback. Actually I might also opt for the Valhalla 2. I am sitting a distance from the amp and really wish there was a remote control for volume control.

If you are ok with running a cable over to your seating area, I use the Emotiva Control Freak to control the volume.  If you happen to be in a corner, you can route it along the baseboard out of the way. You'll likely need some patch cords to extend its reach. It really works well. I didn't detect any degradation in sound using it.

Most likely you'll need to get the Unbalanced model (with RCA ends) as opposed to Balanced (3 prong connectors).  So, make sure you order the right one.

I see that Emotiva themselves are out of stock of the Unbalanced, but it's my understanding that they'll be back in soon. I did find some Unbalanced ones in stock here though.

HTH..

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 18
My HD6XX Are in Da mail... (who cares..right?) And owning the X2 cans (which are my top cans so far) I'm so stoked about the 650 equivalent cans! I'm jammn to Becks Odelay album (It's AWESOME) and am anticipating and almost jizzing my pants at the potential listening NirVAna the 6XX will bring!

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #18 of 18
I just don't like how the Senheisers fit. I've had 2 the most recent being the 598 and they were supposed to be comfy but they pinch.

I had the Senn 600's for 10 years and then sold them due to wear and tear (out of warranty). I got the Fidelio X2's and loved everything about them apart from awful (treble sibilance, no matter what amp and I have several types. Using high quality audio source). I was hoping it would improve and maybe the ssssssd sounds would relax, but they did not. I totally loved the awesome Soundstage for High Definition movies - incredible and the amazing Base. I with much emotional pain (like agreeing to putting a dog down) returned them to Amazon.

So now I am burning in my HD 650's which currently after only 15 hours playback sound dull. I misd the X2 soundstage and lovely Base. I hope the 650's will deliver performance audio after burn in. I might buy a Schitt amp as the much revered O2 amps are not available in the UK.

EDIT: Wow..what a difference a day makes, I did the old pink noise burn in for 20 hours and the Hd650 have opened up finally. They sound like your sitting in a studio (as I can imagine what that sounds like) a private sitting if I may, with a super clear presentation of the music with not much enhanced frequencies.

Currently listening to LOVELESS by Lo Moon, S M O O T H N E S S : )

Can only anticipate how much BETTER the Hd650 will get over time. And after some time getting use to the Senheiser sound you do notice the sibblense in the highs on the X2.

Edit: after some time and A & B between these 2.... HD6XX do get BETTER a lot better, another planet better.., not even fair to compare these 2 anymore.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back