Micrphone Reccomendation for Mechanical Keyboard
May 18, 2015 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fox091

New Head-Fier
Maybe a little out of the ordinary for head-fi, but you guys seem to be audio wizards. 

I'm looking for a microphone.  I always talk in Teamspeak and occasionally in games, but far less so lately.  I might like to do some recording for Youtube or potentially streaming at some point.  The key factor here is that I have a mechanical keyboard.  It's the Blackwidow Ultimate from Razer with Cherry MX Blues.  I don't intend to change the keyboard for quite a long time, so I need a mic to help accommodate it.  The mic doesn't have to make my keyboard whisper quiet in its pickup, since it's nearly impossible to do on the cheap.  I just want something that won't make my keyboard really prominent and loud compared to my voice.  I would also be taking this setup to a large LAN party 2 times a year, so it would need to be OK at getting rid of background noise from other people talking.

I've looked at the modmic from AntLion, and it looks like it would be good.  I don't like the idea of sticking the magnet to the HD 558s that I ordered too much and I don't care for the extra cable that much, but it isn't a big concern.  I've also been looking at a desktop style mic as well such as the Samson Go Mic.  For some reason, I prefer the idea of a desktop mic since it feels like I would have more freedom in talking.

What can anyone recommend that is less that $50 that is good for this?  I'm way more concerned about the Teamspeak/game chat than anything else.  I was tempted to take out the part about streaming, but it would just be a nice bonus.

May 19, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi since you don't want your mic to pick up your keyboard I suggest the guitar hero mic. It's cheap and really good quality. Stay away from condenser mics (the ones used in studios) if your keyboard is noisy. If you want condenser though, go for something like the samson go it's a great mic. Get a pop filter too. If you're gonna get a dynamic mic which is the handheld one which people use on stage, get a small stand.
Hope this helps! 
smile.gif

May 19, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 6
  Hi since you don't want your mic to pick up your keyboard I suggest the guitar hero mic. It's cheap and really good quality. Stay away from condenser mics (the ones used in studios) if your keyboard is noisy. If you want condenser though, go for something like the samson go it's a great mic. Get a pop filter too. If you're gonna get a dynamic mic which is the handheld one which people use on stage, get a small stand.
Hope this helps! 
smile.gif

I never thought of using the Guitar Hero mic.  Is it really that good for this type of thing?  I have one sitting in a drawer somewhere.  I'll go try it out.  Now, for the stand, could I just get a clamp-on stand to screw onto my desk so it is swiveled up near me?  My friend was thinking of going for the AT2020 and a swivel arm mount like that, but I don't think he wants to spend all that money on the 2020.

May 19, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 6
  I never thought of using the Guitar Hero mic.  Is it really that good for this type of thing?  I have one sitting in a drawer somewhere.  I'll go try it out.  Now, for the stand, could I just get a clamp-on stand to screw onto my desk so it is swiveled up near me?  My friend was thinking of going for the AT2020 and a swivel arm mount like that, but I don't think he wants to spend all that money on the 2020.

The AT2020 is a condenser microphone so I don't recommend buying that. Just do anything to make it stand up one youtuber said that he just got a plastic cup and made a hole underneath then he put the mic in the hole and put the cup upside down on his desk. If you want to know how it sounds, watch this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Xw9mZgZ3M If you really on plan on getting a condenser mic for below $50, get something like the samson go or the blue snowball. The blue yeti and at2020 are good but they are more expensive. I have a samson go and as long as you don't have a fan on and you adjust the settings, they won't pick up much background noise but you do have to get close to the mic.

May 19, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 6
  The AT2020 is a condenser microphone so I don't recommend buying that. Just do anything to make it stand up one youtuber said that he just got a plastic cup and made a hole underneath then he put the mic in the hole and put the cup upside down on his desk. If you want to know how it sounds, watch this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Xw9mZgZ3M If you really on plan on getting a condenser mic for below $50, get something like the samson go or the blue snowball. The blue yeti and at2020 are good but they are more expensive. I have a samson go and as long as you don't have a fan on and you adjust the settings, they won't pick up much background noise but you do have to get close to the mic.

Now that I've watched that video and tested it myself, I'm convinced that it's pretty sweet for a mic that sat in my drawer for years doing nothing.  I might rig something up to aim it toward me, but I'll probably grab a cheap mic stand so I can move it close or swivel it out of the way.

I'm still thinking about the Modmic just because it's so convenient, but this Guitar Hero mic is sweet for what it is.  Thanks a lot!

May 19, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 6
No prob! The modmic is good too if you want something like a headset. I suggest using the guitar hero setup first for maybe 2-4 weeks and if you're happy stay with it. Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back