microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Jan 6, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #721 of 1,183
For ‘upgrade’, I suggest: Sylvania ‘yellow print’ 12SN7 pair with either Mullard 6201 ‘gold pin’ pair or Brimar CV455 (KB/FB: Footscray 1956) pair. The last is available on ‘Langrex.co.uk’. I rotate/use all these in the MZ3.
Is there a specific model code for those Sylvania tubes Jonathan? I am going to try them.

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #722 of 1,183
Is there a specific model code for those Sylvania tubes Jonathan? I am going to try them.
I do not think that there is a specific code. The 12SN7 is the 12-volt version of the 6SN7. There are ‘green print’ and ‘yellow print’ of which I am aware. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #723 of 1,183
I do not think that there is a specific code. The 12SN7 is the 12-volt version of the 6SN7. There are ‘green print’ and ‘yellow print’ of which I am aware. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Thanks. I've found the Mullard Gold Pin you mentioned at Langrex so will try those too.

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #724 of 1,183
I have found the Sylvania JAN CHS 12SN7GT to be excellent tubes for my MZ3 and I have been stocking up matched pairs when I can find them NOS. They are are a chrome top with green lettering. Cost is very reasonable $10-$20 per tube depending on condition. You can still find them new in the original military boxes.

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #725 of 1,183
Thanks. I've found the Mullard Gold Pin you mentioned at Langrex so will try those too.
Mullard 6201 Gold Pin = Amperex 6201 Gold Pin = Valvo 6201 Gold Pin. I believed they are the same tubes made in Germany by Valvo.

I just tried Sylvania 7N7 (6SN7 adapter) with Amperex 6201 Gold Pin, this is an outstanding combination. Sound stage and mid are opened up, trebe is very clear.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #726 of 1,183
Have had a few days with the RCA 12AU7 clear tops and...I quite like them :smile:. The lower gain was definitely noticeable with regard to overall volume and I have to turn the amp up a several clicks, but nothing extreme, and I don't find these ones to be too relaxed or dull. Either I lucked out with a good pair for 12AU7s to try or I have easygoing ears.

They're warm-leaning, with nice soundstage and dynamics to my ear. What really sets them apart from the other tubes I've tried is the bass. They have more of an "oomph" factor than any of the others, and when paired with the Atriums they make for a fun sound. Same with the Eikons, though those are still really new for me and not burned in. Might be nice synergy with the biocellulose drivers? The VCs and Rognirs sound fine, but neither have the same musicality.

It did take a day or so for the tubes to settle down. When I first listened to them with the VCs and the Rognirs there was a haziness in the mids (moreso on the VCs, less with the Rognirs but then those had weird instrument placement issues), but the Atriums sounded great from the start. Tried both VC and Rognir today and that veil/haze is gone.

So...now I get to dither over whether I stay with these, put the Amperexs back in because I really liked them too but the sound is quite different, or do I chase the Brimar/Mullard sound I keep hearing about...the tube FOMO is real.

Jan 8, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #727 of 1,183
Have had a few days with the RCA 12AU7 clear tops and...I quite like them :smile:. The lower gain was definitely noticeable with regard to overall volume and I have to turn the amp up a several clicks, but nothing extreme, and I don't find these ones to be too relaxed or dull. Either I lucked out with a good pair for 12AU7s to try or I have easygoing ears.

They're warm-leaning, with nice soundstage and dynamics to my ear. What really sets them apart from the other tubes I've tried is the bass. They have more of an "oomph" factor than any of the others, and when paired with the Atriums they make for a fun sound. Same with the Eikons, though those are still really new for me and not burned in. Might be nice synergy with the biocellulose drivers? The VCs and Rognirs sound fine, but neither have the same musicality.

It did take a day or so for the tubes to settle down. When I first listened to them with the VCs and the Rognirs there was a haziness in the mids (moreso on the VCs, less with the Rognirs but then those had weird instrument placement issues), but the Atriums sounded great from the start. Tried both VC and Rognir today and that veil/haze is gone.

So...now I get to dither over whether I stay with these, put the Amperexs back in because I really liked them too but the sound is quite different, or do I chase the Brimar/Mullard sound I keep hearing about...the tube FOMO is real.
My Z40 came with RCA black plates for pre-amp. 12AU7. Everyone loves cleartops so I got some of those. I actually think the black plates were a little cleaner. Doesn't matter. Yes, warmer leaning. Good ole rock and roll. Talking with a bunch, for me and my Z40, you generally want an all rounder for pre. I swapped my off brand Mullards 12AX7s for Telefunkens. Yes, that tube is special. It's definitely what I love. But then Jesse suggested giving Mazdas a try... says they are better RCAs. Crazy how good they made my other tubes. Brought out all the warms of my other mullard tubes, and all the space, resolution, and holographic stage of the Teles. Hard to explain... its not that the Mazdas are so much better... they just really made my other tubes way better. Jesse has never let me down with what I am looking for. I got spare Mazdas and called it good. I have put my black plates back in from time to time and it is not even close. I don't know what it will do for you, but you might want to ask Jessie. Reasonably priced.

Oh.... and not that it matters here so much... I ended up back in the house of Focal. Clear OGs. So at least I have HPs again. I am so happy. For what I paid used, they are by far the best money I have spent. They are in great shape. Have that Focal signature sound... really been happy being back in the fold listening to my favs relaxing late at night.

Jan 8, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #728 of 1,183
Wanted to digest the thread before posting. First off thanks to all the contributors to this thread. I placed a MZ3 order on 1/4 - 4-6 week delivery time. Very psyched! Rest of my setup is ipad feeding an RME ADI2 FS, and a Quicksilver HPA. For cans I have DCA Aeon Closed X, ZMF Auteur Classic, and Verite Closed. The VC are getting the most head time lately.

Jan 8, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #729 of 1,183
Wanted to digest the thread before posting. First off thanks to all the contributors to this thread. I placed a MZ3 order on 1/4 - 4-6 week delivery time. Very psyched! Rest of my setup is ipad feeding an RME ADI2 FS, and a Quicksilver HPA. For cans I have DCA Aeon Closed X, ZMF Auteur Classic, and Verite Closed. The VC are getting the most head time lately.
In my personal opinion, you have made a great choice. I have a MZ3 along with MZ2 and ZOTL10. The MZ3 makes ZMF soar. While I don't have the VC, I do own Aleous, Atticus, and Atrium and I'm never disappointed.
Also, I own a RME ADI-2 DAC FS, so if you need a little extra, the EQ of the RME is perfect.
Then prepare to deep dive into tube rolling. Although, LTA sends their products out with great tubes. So, don't feel rushed to change tubes.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #730 of 1,183
I've recently received my VC. They sound excellent on MZ3 😎

Jan 8, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #731 of 1,183
Thanks guys. Having tube rolled my QSHPA, and liking NOS Tung Sol, I took a chance and ordered a matched pair of Tung-Sol 12SN7 12SN7GT for trying sometime after burn in.... Dreaming of each of my cans running off the MZ3!

Attachments

• 134511D8-4088-4232-A2C4-B6211EA104AD.jpeg
    134511D8-4088-4232-A2C4-B6211EA104AD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #732 of 1,183
My Z40 came with RCA black plates for pre-amp. 12AU7. Everyone loves cleartops so I got some of those. I actually think the black plates were a little cleaner. Doesn't matter. Yes, warmer leaning. Good ole rock and roll. Talking with a bunch, for me and my Z40, you generally want an all rounder for pre. I swapped my off brand Mullards 12AX7s for Telefunkens. Yes, that tube is special. It's definitely what I love. But then Jesse suggested giving Mazdas a try... says they are better RCAs. Crazy how good they made my other tubes. Brought out all the warms of my other mullard tubes, and all the space, resolution, and holographic stage of the Teles. Hard to explain... its not that the Mazdas are so much better... they just really made my other tubes way better. Jesse has never let me down with what I am looking for. I got spare Mazdas and called it good. I have put my black plates back in from time to time and it is not even close. I don't know what it will do for you, but you might want to ask Jessie. Reasonably priced.

Oh.... and not that it matters here so much... I ended up back in the house of Focal. Clear OGs. So at least I have HPs again. I am so happy. For what I paid used, they are by far the best money I have spent. They are in great shape. Have that Focal signature sound... really been happy being back in the fold listening to my favs relaxing late at night.
You're making me tilt back toward the Teles. Idk why, but I've got it in my head that I'm going to like their sound--purely based off how I've read about them described. Good call though on getting in touch with Jessee, and good timing since he's back off holiday tomorrow. I just need to figure out a more pointed ask than "I like everything."

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #733 of 1,183

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #734 of 1,183
You're making me tilt back toward the Teles. Idk why, but I've got it in my head that I'm going to like their sound--purely based off how I've read about them described. Good call though on getting in touch with Jessee, and good timing since he's back off holiday tomorrow. I just need to figure out a more pointed ask than "I like everything."
I won't claim to be the most knowledgable on tubes. I basically worked with Jesse and for me, I found his descriptions to be exactly what I wanted and what I got. A lot of people talk about the Teles are the best AX7 made. I don't know about that, I just know I love them, and that is what I had to change, AX7s. Just gave a whole new dimension to space and air. And like a lot of the tubes... its not like they don't do bass. They have bass, they just excel at the other end. And Mullards, its not like they don't have space and air, they are just so damn good on the other end. So in my amp, that is the tubes I had to work with. But I was happy with RCS being the all rounder pres. Helping a friend out, and Jessie suggested Mazdas.... just damn! Just made everything better. I know you have different to play with... for me it really was about the combination, not the one pair. Mullard for low, Tele for high, and Mazda to make that even better. Even tried all tele... nope nope nope... that's not it. One pair goes a long way.

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #735 of 1,183
I won't claim to be the most knowledgable on tubes. I basically worked with Jesse and for me, I found his descriptions to be exactly what I wanted and what I got. A lot of people talk about the Teles are the best AX7 made. I don't know about that, I just know I love them, and that is what I had to change, AX7s. Just gave a whole new dimension to space and air. And like a lot of the tubes... its not like they don't do bass. They have bass, they just excel at the other end. And Mullards, its not like they don't have space and air, they are just so damn good on the other end. So in my amp, that is the tubes I had to work with. But I was happy with RCS being the all rounder pres. Helping a friend out, and Jessie suggested Mazdas.... just damn! Just made everything better. I know you have different to play with... for me it really was about the combination, not the one pair. Mullard for low, Tele for high, and Mazda to make that even better. Even tried all tele... nope nope nope... that's not it. One pair goes a long way.

Which Mazdas did you get from Jessie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back