Microstack question.
Nov 8, 2010 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ohaider

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm quite new to amps and such so I'm confused about how I would set it up.

I will most likely be using them with my computer and my question is that if I do get the stack, do I still need a good soundcard to use as the 'source' or something?
confused_face_2.gif

Thanks in advance.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 5
ohaider,
What type of computer are you using?  If you are getting the stack (amp and DAC) then you do not need an additional soundcard. The DAC is an external soundcard and a good one at that.  You can simply plug in a USB cable (like this http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headroom-usb-cable-1-ft.php) into your computer and the other end into the DAC and you are good to go.  The DAC also has optical and coaxial inputs, so depending on your computer you may be able to feed the DAC with one of these connections.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
ohaider,
What type of computer are you using?  If you are getting the stack (amp and DAC) then you do not need an additional soundcard. The DAC is an external soundcard and a good one at that.  You can simply plug in a USB cable (like this http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headroom-usb-cable-1-ft.php) into your computer and the other end into the DAC and you are good to go.  The DAC also has optical and coaxial inputs, so depending on your computer you may be able to feed the DAC with one of these connections.

Hi, Bubu1 thanks for replying.

I actually built my own and I assume you're asking about my motherboard?
It a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3. I just checked the back of the motherboard and it has a SPDIF out. Would I be better off using that instead of USB?

I appreciate the suggestions/ help.
bigsmile_face.gif

EDIT: It actually has 1 coaxial out and 1 optical out.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 5
You're welcome!  
If you have optical and coax, then I would choose coax.  You will need this adaptor and a decent coax cable, both of which are available from HR.  I have moved up the entire HR line and have enjoyed all of their products.  You will not be disappointed!
Good luck with your purchase and enjoy,
Tom

P.S. sorry about your wallet!!!!!!

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
You're welcome!  
If you have optical and coax, then I would choose coax.  You will need this adaptor and a decent coax cable, both of which are available from HR.  I have moved up the entire HR line and have enjoyed all of their products.  You will not be disappointed!
Good luck with your purchase and enjoy,
Tom

P.S. sorry about your wallet!!!!!!

smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks!! and yeah I'll have a huge dent in it, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back