Microsoft's Plus! Speaker Enhancement for Windows XP
Jan 23, 2002 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

johnmark

New Head-Fier
I was looking around ebay and came accross speakers that said they were "Microsoft's Approved and Certified Microsoft's Plus! Speaker Enhancement for Windows XP".
All thats on theMicrosoft site is a list of speakers that are compatible with the software enhancement. I'm just wondering if any of you have used this and if its worth going throught the trouble to get Plus!.

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Microsoft sucks. =/

That reminds me of "THX Certification", don't buy into that crap, it's all a scam. Makes no difference if it has the label or not.

let me guess, a Linux "fanboy"?
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 9
I've got this Plus! pack, but having only got the Cambridge SoundWorks PC Works, and there being no profile, i can't tell if it REALLY makes that much difference, although I can tell you that when i've been messing around with the speaker options, it definetly does change the overall sound, depending on what profile you have on
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 9
Sounds like it doesn't do too much. Can software really do anything to improve sound quality. Obviously hardware is better than software, but there should be some kind of software thats beneficial. Good stuff

Jan 26, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 9
Hmm, iTunes has this "sound enhancer" thingy... it actually sounds pretty nice (the level of "enhancement" depends on the song). Probably puts reverb into it faking a larger soundstage and giving it a "live" appearance. Actually it may even have a bit of crossfeeding in it as sounds go to the front, but it doesn't sound like the soundstage collapses (which I feel happens on crossfeeds such as the Meier on high levels). Also gets some treble energy back in.

Jan 26, 2002 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by johnmark
Sounds like it doesn't do too much. Can software really do anything to improve sound quality. Obviously hardware is better than software, but there should be some kind of software thats beneficial. Good stuff

Maybe? after all... Software DVD Decoders are better than hardware decoder boards (for PC at least)

The one thing that I can't work out, when i listen to the changes on the plus! pack between different models of speakers... its an enhancement.. but, what exactly IS it enhancing? the bass definetly changes... and, the treble does a little bit too... but, is it just screwing with the EQ settings in WMP8, so that it sounds how the programmer wants it to? (and... hey... he / she could have the wackiest ears on the planet for all we know???????)

Jan 26, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
I find TDK mixer to be a real good audio player, even better then Winamp.

Jet audio
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back