Microsoft Introduces CD Copy-Protection 'Fix'
Jan 18, 2003 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...icrosoft_cd_dc

Well, i wonder how this is going to pan out, how the heck are they going to make a cd with multiple layers? Do the record labels think by adding protection it'll limit the amount of mp3 downloads or from new albums being spread out as mp3 cds? I think its a HUGE waste of money of course. What do you think of this latest development?

Well, looks like the pirates of the world have another project on their hands.

Jan 18, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 10
i personally think it's all a waste of time. even if they come out with an entirely uncrackable system (which i doubt) people will just record it through analog means and then distribute it via mp3. most people wouldn't care about the loss of quality. a well encoded mp3 recorded from the analog output of a good cd player can sound better than a digitally ripped copy with ****ty encoding. and people don't seem to mind really crappy sounding mp3's.

Jan 19, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 10
phillips will sue their ass if they try to call it a "compact disc". they did the same with copy protected cd's.

Jan 19, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 10
Well go Phillips then! I think they should suck it up and quit trying to make their stuff coppy proof. Like skippy said, they can make the toughest, most un-crackable format the world has ever seen, and it will A) simply get recorded manualy, and B) get Cracked.

No, they should not waste their money pissing people off. They should focus on making the product desireable. If they want to get people off MP3, then they should push multichannel audio..
rolleyes.gif

As it is, it seems to me like most people who use a lot of MP3 do so simply becuase they can not afford lots of CDs or dedicated equipment. My self included. Maybe if they took all that money and made CDs cheaper, more people would buy them.

Jan 19, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf

As it is, it seems to me like most people who use a lot of MP3 do so simply becuase they can not afford lots of CDs or dedicated equipment. My self included. Maybe if they took all that money and made CDs cheaper, more people would buy them.

Amen, brother!

Jan 19, 2003 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 10
ugh. just ugh. skippy has the right idea, although most decent sound cards these days have digital in as well. i'm sure there would be a slight loss in quality, but that would definitely allow for digital-to-digital transfers. i guess that's what i'm going to have to start doing when i want to burn my cds for transportation..

haha, yeah right. what am i thinking? microsoft make something unhackable! HA! what am i worrying for?

Jan 22, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by skippy
even if they come out with an entirely uncrackable system (which i doubt)

Your doubt is well founded. I just don't see how it is possible to create an 'uncrackable' optical storage medium without DRASTICALLY changing players, and somehow phyiscally altering the disc so that it can't be read by a computer. It would be less expensive to buy a time machine and go back and kill the great grandfathers of all the hackers who are going to get around whatever half cocked scheme they come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back