Microsoft Excel (2007) Question
Mar 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Nick 214

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I'm doing a graphing project on Excel using data: records of sea water temperature +/- 50* on the equator with roughly 4,000 points, separated into about 20 graphs. Here's the problem- there are many erroneous points where the instrument failed, and are represented by "-9.99." I need to remove these to have a correct graph.

I was finding them via CRTL+F, but is there a way to delete them all (hundreds!) is one fell?

Thanks a million (or 4,000),

NK

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 14
Sort.
That will put them all together and then you can delete all at once.
(resort after delete if you need original order)

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 14
Don't do what intoflatlines said if you have multiple columns of data. Highlight your entire data set, then on the Home tab click Sort and Filter, Custom Sort, and sort by the column in question. Then delete all the rows for which that value is -9.99.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 14
^ usually not. I have to work with a lot of downloaded weather data sets like this, and the distribution is pretty random. I use a combination of many of the strategies mentioned above based on the context.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't do what intoflatlines said if you have multiple columns of data.

If you're implying that the method I use only sorts the values in that column and keeps the other columns the same (messing up the rows/groups of data), that is not true. I do it all the time, and it keeps the corresponding values in each column grouped together. In fact, I just tried it on some data I have here and it worked perfectly.
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're implying that the method I use only sorts the values in that column and keeps the other columns the same (messing up the rows/groups of data), that is not true. I do it all the time, and it keeps the corresponding values in each column grouped together. In fact, I just tried it on some data I have here and it worked perfectly.
beerchug.gif

Oh, touche. I just tried it in Excel 2007 and it worked just as you said - apparently Microsoft is smarter than I am. My b!

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't do what intoflatlines said if you have multiple columns of data. Highlight your entire data set, then on the Home tab click Sort and Filter, Custom Sort, and sort by the column in question. Then delete all the rows for which that value is -9.99.

It worked, thanks! I knew the "replace" bit (not my first rodeo) the problem was finding a variable to replace it with.

Thanks guys!!

NK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back