Microscope? Magnifier? What do you use?
Mar 25, 2006 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

69CamaroSS396

100+ Head-Fier
In my old age I am having trouble seeing well when working on certain projects, and when double checking for solder bridges and such things. I have access to microscopes at work, which are unbelievably helpful, but would like to have something readily available here at home. I couldn't have successfully finished my MINTs without using a microscope. I don't want to have to lug everything to work just to check it out. I'm not too sure about lighted magnifiers. I haven't seen one that has impressed me. Maybe I just haven't seen the right set up yet. Curious as to what others use or can recommend. I don't want to sacrifice my first born to get something. Less than $100, for sure, but the cheaper, the better.

Thanks, Greg

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 11
My eyes finally tanked for close work and reading when I was 47 and now I wear a pair on non-prescription reading "cheaters" for reading in 2.0 power. I have found that a pair in 2.75 further magnify and make it easy to inspect close mechanical and electronic work. Check at your local drugstore or Walmart.

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 11
My eyes went south on me about two-three years ago (turned 50 in Feb so 47 must be a tragic number) and I agree with Old Pa (who let him into DIY anyway ?????
confused.gif
Sargent At Arms ! Hup !
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

I use the "generic" non perscription glasses in the 1.5-1.75 range for all reading and find I am also sensitive to how much light is available so for instance, in bright sunshine I can read text unassisted but if a cloud passes i am toast !

Glasses and a strong source of light from more than one direction for reading is the norm but when I step up to the work bench I MUST use one of those stand mounted lighted magnifiers or I have no shot at working.Any light source behind or to the side becomes useless when my hand reaches to the work and blocks it out in shadow.
soldering "blind" is not recommended activity
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
(who let him into DIY anyway ?????
confused.gif
Sargent At Arms ! Hup !
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

I've been crossing "union lines" for some time now, Rick. Built my first Dynaco tuner kit more than twenty-five year ago, replaced the garage door opener a couple of years ago, the kitchen faucet last year, and a fuel shut-off solenoid in the mower's engine's carb last fall. Put in a new power supply for the PC yesterday and it's a wireless LAN ADSL gateway next week. It's all been successful, so far.
icon10.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
I've been crossing "union lines" for some time now, Rick. Built my first Dynaco tuner kit more than twenty-five year ago, replaced the garage door opener a couple of years ago, the kitchen faucet last year, and a fuel shut-off solenoid in the mower's engine's carb last fall. Put in a new power supply for the PC yesterday and it's a wireless LAN ADSL gateway next week. It's all been successful, so far.
icon10.gif

....give that man a DIY Forum membership card and a key to the washroom !

NOW DAMMIT !

Sorry John.Good help is very hard to find these days
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 11
I'm going to be 48 in about two months, and I've had to use a microscope for several years. It should be noted, however, that I do this for a living, and routinely work with 0402 resistors and capacitors. I also spend a lot of time kluging in mods to PWBs, and quite often have to squeeze in a pile of parts where there really isn't enough room.

I've tried the visors that GWN mentioned, but I find that they don't provied enough magnification for me to work on stuff that small. Part of the problem also is that if I can get enough magnification, the working distance is ridiculously small, like 1-2". I use a focal length reducer on the microscope, which gives me a healthy 5" or so working distance. This, along with a fiber optic ringlight, is perfect for what I do.

Now, if only you could find that for a $100...

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 11
My eyesight is still reasonably good, which means I can't see 20:20 but I don't need glasses. Yet for some small SMD work like SSOP devices it fails. I use a jewler's loupe can't tell you the magnification though as it is old and most of the markings have been scratched off it.

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. A couple of suggestions I hadn't thought of(clip on and headband magnifiers), so I'll have to check them out. I sure do like the clarity and detail a good microscope provides. Maybe I should use some type of magnifier for assembly, and afterwards, a microscope for close up inspection of the work.

Rick, I'm one up on you. I turned 51 in Feb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back