Microphones to use for gaming (xbox 360) with headphones??
Dec 21, 2011 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tier One

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of DT 770 pro's and when I have no way to talk to my friends now, also I am just using them as stereo not with an astro mixamp right now. I have been hearing that people use the zalman clip on mic and just play voice through the headphones but I am wondering if when people talk then it will interrupt my game volume or if the chat and game volume will mix. I am not sure if I am explaining that clearly but also I have been considering getting a throat mic because it has an ear bud I can slide under my ear cups but I can also imagine that really being uncomfortable and damaging to the sound quality. Hopefully someone can understand my dilemma and either give me a new solution or assure one is better than the other.

Thanks

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 7
If you can get the voice through your headphones (I don't know anything about xbox) then it shouldn't cut your game volume, if it's anything like any PC voice program. As for a microphone I would recommend the ModMic. you can stick it right to the side of the DT770.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks, that looks like a better alternative to the Zalman mic. However I wasn't as clear as I should have been, my problem is actually hearing people talking to me, you can choose play chat through speakers in the options which will let me hear people talking but I won't be able to adjust the chat volume on the fly. With headsets like tritton and turtle beaches this is adjusted automatically but they suck as far as overall sound quality. Without this feature, people are too loud in my headphones when I am just walking but when music is being played, or explosions/gunfire is going off I can barley hear people. If anyone has any suggestions besides just a mic I would be very happy to hear them.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 7
If you had the Astro Mixamp, you'd have chat mixing, not to mention Dolby Headphone. It's kind of surprising that you don't have one already.

The only issue is that you'll likely need a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to plug the ModMic into the Mixamp.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
If you had the Astro Mixamp, you'd have chat mixing, not to mention Dolby Headphone. It's kind of surprising that you don't have one already.

The only issue is that you'll likely need a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to plug the ModMic into the Mixamp.

I have tritton 720's right now so I never needed the mixamp, but do you know if the mixamp would be able to balance the chat and game volume when the chat is on the play through speaker setting since technically then the chat and volume would technically be playing from the same source?

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I have tritton 720's right now so I never needed the mixamp, but do you know if the mixamp would be able to balance the chat and game volume when the chat is on the play through speaker setting since technically then the chat and volume would technically be playing from the same source?

Oh, so you're using the AX720's DAC/DSP box for Dolby Headphone processing. That explains it.

However, the Mixamp obviously can't balance game and chat audio if the chat audio is already mixed into the game audio to begin with. For the X360, it probably uses a cable that runs from the gamepad's headset output to a secondary input on the Mixamp meant for chat input (or a media player if you want to listen to music from a PMP instead and don't like the way the console does it for whatever reason), whereas on the PS3, it likely uses the USB connection to present itself as a USB headset. Can't say for sure without owning a Mixamp or either of the two consoles.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:

For the X360, it probably uses a cable that runs from the gamepad's headset output to a secondary input on the Mixamp meant for chat input

Yeah It seems like its not really possible to have a balance of game sound and chat together I guess I will have to go with the throat mic and have the uncomfortable ear bud under my headphone or just deal with the game chat being too loud or quiet all the time. Thanks for your input though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back