Microphones for measuring headphones?
Nov 13, 2019 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

manueljenkin

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently have a focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and a couple of presonus prm1 mics that I'll be using for measuring some parameters of headphones. I'll be building my diy rig that shall be more rattle resistant.

I've come to realize that a single type of mic may not be good enough to capture all parameters of a headphone. The prm1 is specifically designed for low dynamic range which would leave the dynamic range measurement out of the equation. But it'll make it easier to measure fr, phase, overall power handling and other parameters I guess.

Any choices for a sub 100/200$ mic that is designed for being close to the source and also having high dynamic range, and preferrably omnidirectional? If the mic is inexpensive I'll take two, else I'll take one.

Ideally I'd want 3-4 different setups for measuring different parameters. I'd like to have guidance on what are all the things I need to know about specific mics. I have only some basic knowledge of condenser, dynamic and ribbon mics and very few knowledge of pickup pattern, self noise and dynamic range choices of different mics. I do know that universally ideal mics/materials don't exist for all purposes and a mic meant for capturing voices may not be effective in capturing drum kits (might clip or get destroyed) and vice versa (might get compressed).

The same setups shall also be used for spectral and spatial analysis of other sounds (bike engine, electrical whine etc) some in close proximity, some with lots of distance. I used my presonus in a setup where i was teaching computers spatial localization and it worked well in a fairly enclosed space (and constrained noise conditions) though front back localization suffered a little both due to dynamic range compression and also due to geometry if my dummy setup (dint have proper earlobe structures).

What is the mic setup that zeos used to have (the older one)? I remember that being fairly good sounding even when passed through YouTube compression algorithm.

I wouldn't want a pre built system like mini dsp ears since I'm indifferent to pre built plastic structures on their interaction to headphones that are tactile enough to rattle the rig.

I also have a lewitt lct440 pure that i use for my personal applications. Would be nice if i can dual purpose it for.

Thanks and Regards,
Manuel Jenkin.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm afraid an audiophile forum might not be the right place to ask about this. just the percentage of people who do measurements is extremely small here. and those who do are more likely to be professionals with fairly expensive stuff, or guys like me who gathered the cheapest crap without expecting much of anything beyond frequency response, and usually not even getting that right:crying_cat_face:. maybe some of the sound engineers would have the insight but other websites might still be a better way to reach out to them.

Nov 16, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 4
I'm afraid an audiophile forum might not be the right place to ask about this. just the percentage of people who do measurements is extremely small here. and those who do are more likely to be professionals with fairly expensive stuff, or guys like me who gathered the cheapest crap without expecting much of anything beyond frequency response, and usually not even getting that right:crying_cat_face:. maybe some of the sound engineers would have the insight but other websites might still be a better way to reach out to them.
Thanks I'll check other forums.

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi,

I currently have a focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and a couple of presonus prm1 mics that I'll be using for measuring some parameters of headphones. I'll be building my diy rig that shall be more rattle resistant.

I've come to realize that a single type of mic may not be good enough to capture all parameters of a headphone. The prm1 is specifically designed for low dynamic range which would leave the dynamic range measurement out of the equation. But it'll make it easier to measure fr, phase, overall power handling and other parameters I guess.

Any choices for a sub 100/200$ mic that is designed for being close to the source and also having high dynamic range, and preferrably omnidirectional? If the mic is inexpensive I'll take two, else I'll take one.

Ideally I'd want 3-4 different setups for measuring different parameters. I'd like to have guidance on what are all the things I need to know about specific mics. I have only some basic knowledge of condenser, dynamic and ribbon mics and very few knowledge of pickup pattern, self noise and dynamic range choices of different mics. I do know that universally ideal mics/materials don't exist for all purposes and a mic meant for capturing voices may not be effective in capturing drum kits (might clip or get destroyed) and vice versa (might get compressed).

The same setups shall also be used for spectral and spatial analysis of other sounds (bike engine, electrical whine etc) some in close proximity, some with lots of distance. I used my presonus in a setup where i was teaching computers spatial localization and it worked well in a fairly enclosed space (and constrained noise conditions) though front back localization suffered a little both due to dynamic range compression and also due to geometry if my dummy setup (dint have proper earlobe structures).

What is the mic setup that zeos used to have (the older one)? I remember that being fairly good sounding even when passed through YouTube compression algorithm.

I wouldn't want a pre built system like mini dsp ears since I'm indifferent to pre built plastic structures on their interaction to headphones that are tactile enough to rattle the rig.

I also have a lewitt lct440 pure that i use for my personal applications. Would be nice if i can dual purpose it for.

Thanks and Regards,
Manuel Jenkin.

I think you'll find that a dummy-head with as close to linear response would be a necessity if you'd like any kind of accuracy. Even then, it's a can of worms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back