Microphone?
Jan 28, 2010 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

NimbleRabit

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a decent microphone to use with my headphones (for both gaming and the phone). I've already tried a zalman clip-on mic but it just didn't work out for me (it was too quiet, annoying, and the cable broke after 2 months).

So what other options are there for a microphone I can use with my computer? I tried looking around but honestly all I ever see recommended is the zalman. I'm willing to try desktop microphones as well (this will only be for my computer with no background noise) as long as they are VERY sensitive because I don't want to have to lean down and talk into it.

Willing to try anything at this point, including anything I might have to mod myself. Any help is appreciated.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 21
Jan 28, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 21
The reviews on amazon certainly sound promising. I just want to make sure: I'm not going to have to talk loudly for this thing to pick me up well am I? To put it in perspective I had to up my mic to +20db in windows for my friends to hear me over ventrilo with the zalman microphone.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 21
Depends how close you are. It is about 30 cm away from my mouth on the desk and I speak at normal talking volume with the microphone volume on max. There's no mic boost option for the logitech, probably because it doesn't need one
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 21
NM319

That's always an option - a "throat mic" if you will. If it doesn't cause discomfort, it has a lot to offer in noise reduction and sound quality.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 21
I used to use this really cool, value level headset from Sennheiser, the PC-151. Awesome thing, runs on 2x 3.5mm connections, and has a really nice mic in it. Gaming with it was always a joy.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 21
This option is kinda expensive is you do not have a need for a webcam. But many webcams have pretty decent mics builtin. I am using the Microsoft LifeCam
Microsoft LifeCam Cinema Web camera

Seems to work well with vent. I use to use a Zalman too and it worked fine for me but my issue with it is I hated having to grab it and clip it on all the time.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 21
That throat mic seems really neat, although I don't really need fantastic noise reduction. Has anybody here used one before?

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To put it in perspective I had to up my mic to +20db in windows for my friends to hear me over ventrilo with the zalman microphone.

You probably made the mistake of plugging in a microphone with a mic-level analog output into a line-in input or a motherboard mic input, whatever that is (I don't know what sort of input this really is, but whatever it is it's useless).

A USB mic is a good basic choice.

The next step is a long way up, a soundcard with microphone input and a proper microphone. I use Shure SM57 for voice and that's often recommended.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably made the mistake of plugging in a microphone with a mic-level analog output into a line-in input or a motherboard mic input, whatever that is (I don't know what sort of input this really is, but whatever it is it's useless).

A USB mic is a good basic choice.

The next step is a long way up, a soundcard with microphone input and a proper microphone. I use Shure SM57 for voice and that's often recommended.

Yeah I'm using my motherboard's built-in sound. Is this a really bad choice, and if so any recommendations for a soundcard? I can always fix my zalman mic with a bit of soldering if a soundcard would make it a bit louder.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 21
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I'd like to buy a microphone for use when I'm playing PC games with friends. Right now, my computer setup is PC -> USB out -> USB DAC -> Speakers. Two questions:

1) Will the computer's microphone input still work if a USB DAC is plugged in, or will the USB DAC override it?

2) If yes, any other thoughts from the crowd on what sort of microphone to get?

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 21
1. no, it will work
2. while it's certainly not studio quality, my $5 desktop mic sounds better than any telephone I've heard.

Don't worry about an expensive mic unless you have a particularly special need, or are making music.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 21
Nice - I was worried about the override because the headphone out from the computer doesn't work when the USB DAC is plugged in, but I guess this won't be an issue for the mic-in.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #14 of 21
The computer's headphone out should work, you just have to change the default device in the windows settings.
I had no problem switching between a usb dac, sound card, and onboard like so, when I was testing stuff.

You'll probably have to do the same with the mic, I recall having problems in XP where the mic's muted or not selected by default.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I'd like to buy a microphone for use when I'm playing PC games with friends. Right now, my computer setup is PC -> USB out -> USB DAC -> Speakers. Two questions:

1) Will the computer's microphone input still work if a USB DAC is plugged in, or will the USB DAC override it?

2) If yes, any other thoughts from the crowd on what sort of microphone to get?

1, Yes it will still work because you can playback and record from two different devices.
2.  Many have different opinions on what tyoe of mic to use for these tasks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back