MicroDAC, what's next?
Mar 22, 2006 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently I am using MicroDAC for my work/home setups.
Lugging it around gets a bit old.
What would be the the next level DAC (after Headroom Micro) to pair with GS-1 for dedicated home setup. I am not looking for 1K setup, just something one or two steps up.

Thanks

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 19
I learned a lot after reading the "New DAC from China" and the "Clash of the Titans" thread, and I'd recommend those to you as well. They're both 40 pages or so, but I figured out what I wanted from them.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
i am still waiting for someone to compare Zhaolu with Microdac.

Stock Zhaolu has a little bit more detail and sounds less congested. This was with the Micro DAC on batteries. They're both around the same SQ level at first listen.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 19
That's a very interesting comment, especially because it is the unmodded version that we are talking about here . Is there anyone else who agrees on this opinion? Has anyone compared micro-dac with some modded Zhaolu?

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
Any news on Zhaolu 2.0?

Zhaolu probably is not gonna fly as it does not support USB.
frown.gif

What are my other options, I need DAC with USB support?

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
Zhaolu probably is not gonna fly as it does not support USB.
frown.gif

What are my other options, I need DAC with USB support?

Why not just get usb-to-digital adapter or soundcard with digital outs. Then you can have any dac to choose from
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ODG
Why not just get usb-to-digital adapter or soundcard with digital outs. Then you can have any dac to choose from
biggrin.gif

What would be the best soundcard to serve as USB to SPDIF optical/coax transport.
I have heard that Audigy 2NX is the only one that supports asynchronous USB data transfer (reduced jitter). Does that mean that it's the best choice? Can it do bit-perfect digital out?

Thank you.

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #13 of 19
the dialogue II may be right up your alley, though it does have a fairly high noise floor. elnero uses a dialogue II with a GS-1 and RS-1s, and is very happy with the pairing. i like the dialogue II with my PPX3 Slam.

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
the dialogue II may be right up your alley, though it does have a fairly high noise floor. elnero uses a dialogue II with a GS-1 and RS-1s, and is very happy with the pairing. i like the dialogue II with my PPX3 Slam.

Hmmm, I was thinking about getting a Dialogue II sometime in the future. What is the best way to counter a high noise floor?

Thanks!
Venio

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #15 of 19
don't turn the volume all the way up.
smily_headphones1.gif
in my set up hiss only appears when the volume knob is turned well past my listening level, and i tend to listen fairly loud (90dB, or so). it probably won't be an issue, even with sensitive IEMs, as i've had no problems when i've used my ER-4Ps. the dialogue II is very nice for the price and quite good in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back