MicroDac question
Apr 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a used '09 Microdac on the FS forum here, I absolutely LOVE it but have a question.

When I switch between the USB and optical inputs while the DAC is on, i hear a high pitched noise from the unused input as I pass through it on the switch. Is this normal? I does not happen if I turn the DAC off and select the input then turn it back on.

Thanks, Mark

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 14
I would say it's normal. The DAC chip needs to lock to the clock of the incoming signal. You're hearing the high pitched noise because at that moment in time, the DAC is not locked.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 14
Ok thank you.

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 14
I have another question regaring the ultra micro dac. is it safe plug out the interconnect cable from the output hole and plug in another one while the dac is on? sometimes I want to change amps and need another inteconnect for this.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have another question regaring the ultra micro dac. is it safe plug out the interconnect cable from the output hole and plug in another one while the dac is on? sometimes I want to change amps and need another inteconnect for this.

I wouldn't recommend it. It would probably be fine but we suggest powering down before plugging or unplugging anything usually.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 14
Is it normal if you leave the MicroDac powered on, but have music paused for the headphones to emit a static sound after about 5 minutes?

Yesterday I paused the music and walked away for a meeting, came back and put my phones back on to hear this static noise. Fired the music back up and it went away... clock sync?

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it normal if you leave the MicroDac powered on, but have music paused for the headphones to emit a static sound after about 5 minutes?

Yesterday I paused the music and walked away for a meeting, came back and put my phones back on to hear this static noise. Fired the music back up and it went away... clock sync?

Yes, lack of clock sync or input signal is what's causing the output of noise.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamey Warren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recommend it. It would probably be fine but we suggest powering down before plugging or unplugging anything usually.

thanks jamey...good thing I asked.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamey Warren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, lack of clock sync or input signal is what's causing the output of noise.

Thanks Jamey, man I live this MicroDac... what a terrific upgrade it was to my system.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 14
at first I preffered to change the output cable from the dac while it is running over turning it off and on again... I guess there is no danger doing so? is it ok to do this with the micro amp also? always when I want to switch headphones I do it with the amp still on,but I guess it is not recommended?

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

at first I preffered to change the output cable from the dac while it is running over turning it off and on again... I guess there is no danger doing so? is it ok to do this with the micro amp also? always when I want to switch headphones I do it with the amp still on,but I guess it is not recommended?

We always recommend powering down your components before unplugging or plugging in anything. This includes DAC's, headphone amps, power amps, switch boxes or any audio component. It's just the safest bet as you reduce the chance of shorting out anything as well as keeping your headphones and ears protected from loud pops.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 14
thanks
normal_smile .gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #13 of 14
LOL I just re-read this thread and realized I basically asked the same question IN THE SAME THREAD two times....

I apologize for being a complete moron!!
redface.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Plonter, this is never a good practice in audiofile. Rather be safe than to burn a $1000 equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back