micro vs ultra micro dac
Jul 15, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #16 of 27
The Ultra Micros use Max modules and the Desktop portable uses the Home module. So the UMA is better sounding by a decent amount. BUT ... it would chew through batteries so fast it would make your head spin, and probably melt the batts.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #17 of 27
When I feel the heat build up in the Ultra Micro, I can easily imagine what you say about what would happen if an attempt were made to battery power it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm that me want to head the um dac + astro route and keep my 71a which works better for my iem's then the um amp did.

Yes. After using the RSA P51 Mustang, I think it's definitely for amping IEM's or amping full sized cans if you can't do better, i.e., going the route of a fully powered amp like the UMA. When I tried the Mustang with my HD650's, I thought it cute that it could drive them, but it really doesn't compare even with the Micro Amp.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

hmmm that me want to head the um dac + astro route and keep my 71a which works better for my iem's then the um amp did.

smily_headphones1.gif
I myself am seriosuly considering the Micro Amp or Ultra Micro Amp, I've never heard either. Maybe we can get HR to cut us a deal if we buy the bundle package!

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #21 of 27
Well thread who I know watches this post because we have been discussing it had both the um amp and dac and he said the amp had hiss which was bad enough to really turn him off of it. Tyll can you comment on how much better the um's are if my main use is a iem vs the desktop portable is the difference worth completely losing the portability?

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #22 of 27
Some folks may have been able to ignore the hiss through the SE530's, but yea, I could actually hear it during quiet passages. And with no music playing, of course, it was quite clear.

No such noise issues with the umdac, though. I love this piece of kit with my IEMs.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #23 of 27
There is a bit of hiss with the SE530's (and from reading the forums with other sensitive iems) and the ultra micro amp, but not enough of a deal breaker for me. I was able to pick up an attenuator from Alex at Apuresound and that completely stopped the hiss. I find that since getting the AKG 702's however, I listen to the SE530's less (although I still love them). The UM's have absolutely no problem driving the AKG's. There is no hiss problem and in my opinion this combination has great synergy. I am thinking of picking up the DPS to power the UM's. I am somewhat hesitant though, because I don't know how much of an improvement I will get over the astrodynes. I still stand by my earlier statement that both the ultra amp and DAC are fantastic products and they provide excellent sound for a reasonable investment. This current setup will keep me happy for a very long time!!!!!
Hats off to Headroom!!!!!
Tom

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

that is my issue primarily I really want the desktop portable but if it is not comparable to the um that pushes me way off.

If what you really need is portability, then the desktop portable will definitely have you smiling widely.

If you don't need portability and want the best out of your amping, then the UMA is better.

Although I'm saying the UMA is better, I do have my Micro Amp at work and still enjoy it. It's really great having that quality sound at work.

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #27 of 27
Well the desktop is based on the normal desktop I don't know what chips the micro is based off of. But considering I need a battery I guess that is not a question
smily_headphones1.gif
. But if I am not satisfied I can always do a return for the um.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back