micro vs ultra micro dac
Jul 9, 2009 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

hockeyb213

BANNED: BAD TRADER
I just got my micro dac to use with my computer rig and I am extremely satisfied with it....it sounds absolutely wonderful. I am curious if anyone has heard both the micro and ultra micro and can comment on the differences between the two because I am thinking of possibly upgrading.
thanks

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 27
I have had both. The Ultra plus Astrodyne was quite a nice upgrade! Well worth it IMO. If fact, I'm considering getting another Ultra Micro for the office.

will

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 27
I've been wanting to ask this question for a while, and this seems like a good opening. I would eventually like to get a Micro Amp and DAC but I'm torn on the regular/ultra decision as well. I'm the type of person that would hate to leave some improvement on the table, provided the price is within an acceptable range. On the other hand though, there is that diminishing return price/performance curve in the audio world.

This is a totally loaded question, but hopefully we can talk about it in a friendly manner...if you had to rate the Micros on a 0-100 scale, 100 being "audio perfection" or maybe "live-in-a-good-room", where would you place them? For reference, where would you put the BitHead/D2000 combo (what I've got now).

The reason I ask is, say everyone agrees the regular Micro scores an 85 and the Ultra a 95. In that case I would say (for myself) that saving a bit longer for the Ultra would be the better decision. On the other hand, if the regular Micro scores a 95 in people's minds and the Ultra scores a 98, I might decide that the regular Micros are an amazing deal for the price and get them sooner rather than wait in order to chase that diminishing curve (for now anyway
normal_smile .gif
) Given what I have read from others here on Head-Fi, I suspect the latter case, but confirmation is always nice.

Anyway, if someone has a better idea of how to frame this question or a better rating scheme, I'm open to suggestions too. I really enjoy my BitHead and I'm looking forward to getting the Micros, once I decide which.

------Tim

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 27
Yeah I am loving the micro right now but I have to make a decision within the exchange period if I decide I want to upgrade. Right now I can go with the ultra and then eventually pick up the astrodyne. Wsilvio can you comment on the um vs m directly using the stock psu?

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 27
Brad,

I remember that there was quite a bit more detail in the ultra. I thought the micro was good, but the ultra seemed much more transparent. As far as the PSU is concerned, I don't think I really did much of a comparison. I hooked up the astrodyne and just enjoyed it.

will

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 27
Brad,
I agree with Will. I have both the micro and ultra micro stack. The detail (especially in the bass) is much better in the ultra. To me the ultra stack provides a much more organic and pleasant listening experience. Bass is stronger with the ultra. Things such as cymbals have a very nice and natural sounding decay. Soundstage is also excellent. If you can afford it, get the ultra stack. You will not regret it! Do splurge for the power supply upgrade. It is well worth it. There is better control of the sound with the astrodyne power supplies (especially in the lower registers). The ultra stack in my opinion is a fantastic system that for some reason doesn't seem to get much attention and appears to be underrated on these forums. I love my ultra stack paired with my APS re-cabled AKG-702. It is hard for me to even go a single day without listening to music with the ultra stack. For reference, I listen to classical (both chamber and orchestral music), some pop/rock and modern greek artists. Hope this helps!!
Oh yeah, sorry about your wallet!
k701smile.gif

Tom

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 27
Well I don't need the stack just the dac since I use a sr-71a for my amping which I actually prefer to the um at least for iem's and I was considering doing the upgrade but you guys are forcing me to do it XD. No more sorry for my wallet it already hit stone wall bottom when I bought my jh-13's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 27
Brad,
I should have looked at your equipment list!! Wow you did splurge on the JH's. Are they as good as everyone says? They seem to have made quite a splash at CanJam! BTW, you won't go wrong with the ultra micro dac. I think for the money it is an excellent choice. What have you got to lose? You can always send it back within 30 days if you don't think it is worth the upgrade.
On another note, what part of LI do you live? I spent 6 1/2 years as a post-doctoral fellow at Cold Spring Harbor labs and I lived in Deer Park. I miss the East coast!!
Cheers,
Tom

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubu1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brad,
I agree with Will. I have both the micro and ultra micro stack. The detail (especially in the bass) is much better in the ultra. To me the ultra stack provides a much more organic and pleasant listening experience. Bass is stronger with the ultra. Things such as cymbals have a very nice and natural sounding decay. Soundstage is also excellent. If you can afford it, get the ultra stack. You will not regret it! Do splurge for the power supply upgrade. It is well worth it. There is better control of the sound with the astrodyne power supplies (especially in the lower registers). The ultra stack in my opinion is a fantastic system that for some reason doesn't seem to get much attention and appears to be underrated on these forums. I love my ultra stack paired with my APS re-cabled AKG-702. It is hard for me to even go a single day without listening to music with the ultra stack. For reference, I listen to classical (both chamber and orchestral music), some pop/rock and modern greek artists. Hope this helps!!
Oh yeah, sorry about your wallet!
k701smile.gif

Tom

Great reading your comments! I use the ultra micro dac paired with my RSA amps, and I absolutely love it. I had the micro dac for for some time, but there was a great gap where I owned neither... so I wouldn't really contrast them with any great confidence.

I did have the ultra micro amp last thanksgiving for about a week. I found the hiss to be awful through my SE530/UE11. During quiet passages I could outright hear it. I also found the presentation to be somewhat dry and balanced/neutral -- I actually found it somewhat boring. But it was mostly the hiss that bothered me.

I promptly switched to the SR-71A which I think has a warmer, more exciting presentation that I enjoy.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 27
I got the ultra micro stack for some time and i must say that it's amazing.
high-end sound without taking any space on my desk.

when i first bought my ultra micro amp (without the dac) i was in dillema if i should take the regular micro instead...but a few minutes of thinking and impressions from headroom's site made me choose the better ultra micro.

with the dac i didn't have this problem...i went straight for the ultra version.
my opinion is to get the ultra edition and not compromise. go for the extra detail,extra resolution. and get the astrodynes too..they are great.
the UMDAC goes really well with my EF1 too.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 27
I started out with the Micro Amp and Spitfire DAC. I really, really enjoyed them and then I upgraded to the Ultra Micro Stack.

The general sound presentation was about the same leaving the general enjoyment factor very similar. However, the jump in detail was easily heard and brought a wide smile to my face. The base presentation was also improved.

The Micro Stack is the best I've heard, so if I give it 100, then the Micro Amp and Spitfire would be about 85%.

I currently use and enjoy my Micro Amp with Astrodyne at work, but I use more modest cans, currently the Sony MDR 7506 and 7509HD. I will soon be replacing those with an Audio Technica ESW9a. At work, I rarely am listening solely to the music and hence a uber-detailed presentation isn't required, but just the wonderful sound signature of the Micro units.

To really appreciate the Ultra Micro Stack and its differences with the Micro, you'll need to pair them with decent cans.

My Ray Samuels amp, the P51 Mustang is very good only with IEM's. While it sounds pretty good with full cans, the Micro is better and the Ultra Micro, a lot better, especially where the music demands good power from the amp (broadening the sound stage, while tightening and deepening the bass).
smily_headphones1.gif

Finally, I too have a feeling that the Ultra Micro Stack is very under-rated, especially after getting this P51 Mustang that is so highly rated.

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started out with the Micro Amp and Spitfire DAC. I really, really enjoyed them and then I upgraded to the Ultra Micro Stack.

The general sound presentation was about the same leaving the general enjoyment factor very similar. However, the jump in detail was easily heard and brought a wide smile to my face. The base presentation was also improved.

The Micro Stack is the best I've heard, so if I give it 100, then the Micro Amp and Spitfire would be about 85%.

I currently use and enjoy my Micro Amp with Astrodyne at work, but I use more modest cans, currently the Sony MDR 7506 and 7509HD. I will soon be replacing those with an Audio Technica ESW9a. At work, I rarely am listening solely to the music and hence a uber-detailed presentation isn't required, but just the wonderful sound signature of the Micro units.

To really appreciate the Ultra Micro Stack and its differences with the Micro, you'll need to pair them with decent cans.

My Ray Samuels amp, the P51 Mustang is very good only with IEM's. While it sounds pretty good with full cans, the Micro is better and the Ultra Micro, a lot better, especially where the music demands good power from the amp (broadening the sound stage, while tightening and deepening the bass).
smily_headphones1.gif

Finally, I too have a feeling that the Ultra Micro Stack is very under-rated, especially after getting this P51 Mustang that is so highly rated.

the ultra micro stack sure deserve a high-end upscale can. they will take it to the next level, although i never tried my stack with a high impedance cans, only with the AH-D5000 (25 ohm) and RS1 (32 ohm). but i think it will be no problem for the stack to handle a high imp' cans like the senns or beyers.
I tried the umdac with my EF1 and it is also great but the ultra micros together are much much better IMO. they just belong to each other
smile.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 27
On the subject of the Astrodyne; In my exp it didn't do too much for me (very very subtle change if any). It might benefit those with "dirtier" power more but in my case not so much. I have not heard anything powered with the HR brand DPS though which I would like to very much try one of these days.

I will agree with everyone else on the subject of the umdac having much better bass and detail than the regular. The standard dac is not slouch though. From what I can tell, the desktop portable seems to be a step down from the ultras.... it does have the benefit of better output options IIRC.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 27
hard to use 2 um's on the go now is it? It says it is based off of the desktop amp which itself is priced at the same level as the ultra micro's so I don't know if it is a step down per say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back