Micro vs SR71 vs Hornet
Jun 3, 2007 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Giudecca

Head-Fier
I am looking to move up from my Total Airhead and am having difficulties deciding between the three amps. I am looking for soundstage as well as some bottom end. I have a set of HD595's and listen to Electronic, Classical, and some Classic Rock.

I live just down the road from Headroom so I would like to go with their amps, but dont want to be too prideful about keeping it in Montana. I will be going for a DAC in the future too, but not until fall. Or maybe I should just wait around until October when Headroom brings out their new Micro line.

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out my amp review here: http://www.gad.net/Headphonia/AmpReview1.html

I cover all three amps.

GAD

Great reviews GAD! Thanks! I'm trying to decide between the RS XP-7 or the SR-71 for my transportable rig between work and home...I thought I finally decided on the SR-71 until I read your review...if the XP-7's that much better maybe I will go that route?! Ahhhhh!
etysmile.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Check out my amp review here: http://www.gad.net/Headphonia/AmpReview1.html

I cover all three amps.

GAD

hey Gad,

after checking out your two links, looking at your photos and then reading this..

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD
Headroom makes a very cool accessory that allows you to now only attach your digital audio player, but to tilt it up for use on your desk (shown here). This attachment is very well thought out.

do you not feel that the Micro line of products make a very good size base for iPods and most other DAP's? and especially with the Micro Strap.

I know everyones portable needs are different but that is one of the things I really like about the Micro. it makes a very good base for me iPod. a balance is there, they look like they were made for one another and not to mention it's a killer amp! most portable amplifiers are smaller than the most popular DAP's and appear very awkward together.

I'd like a smaller amp but something that also paired well with the iPod like a couple of spoons..

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey Gad,

after checking out your two links, looking at your photos and then reading this..

do you not feel that the Micro line of products make a very good size base for iPods and most other DAP's? and especially with the Micro Strap.

I know everyones portable needs are different but that is one of the things I really like about the Micro. it makes a very good base for me iPod. a balance is there, they look like they were made for one another and not to mention it's a killer amp! most portable amplifiers are smaller than the most popular DAP's and appear very awkward together.

I'd like a smaller amp but something that also paired well with the iPod like a couple of spoons..

Indeed yes - if you're thinking about a transportable. For a true portable, the Micro is just too big. If you're carrying it to the office and putting it on your desk, it's awesome. If you want to jog with it it's a bit much.

GAD

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Indeed yes - if you're thinking about a transportable. For a true portable, the Micro is just too big. If you're carrying it to the office and putting it on your desk, it's awesome. If you want to jog with it it's a bit much.

GAD

yeah, me too I just think it's the perfect mate and not awkward together like most portable amps. I have yet to get the MicroStrap but now that I have me iPod it will not be long.

if I was jogging or some other physical exercise I do not think I would want anything on me other than a small DAP/ Shuffle(even the iPod or Zune would be too much). even if I was on me bicycle. not sure if I could even make out the SQ difference if I was exercising hard enough.

now if I was out for a city stroll, etc.. that is another story I could easily handle the MicroAmp and an iPod in a good bag system. it's not that big to me. no worse than carrying a 35mm camera, PCDP or old WalkMan around. probably something around the neck since I wear Carhartt overalls the majority of the time. my Shuffle and iPod fit nicely in one side of the top pouch of me overalls. the Micro Would not and it would have to be a really small amp to fit in the other side of the pouch.

I have mostly acquired a portable rig to take with me traveling(like I did by train a month ago. saw people onboard with laptops and portable DVD players that were larger), camping, work, situations around the home, etc..

all in all I have been really impressed with how well the MicroAmp and iPod mate together. especially with that MicroStrap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back