Micro USB to micro usb OTG DIY cable
Mar 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

daanh

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I want to combine two existing micro to standard USB OTG cables to one micro to micro OTG. Is this possible by just cutting the wires and connecting all the same colored wires? Or do I fry my phone that way?

From what I've seen, you have to have one side that doesn't have the 4th and 5th pin connected. Is that true?

Thanks, Daan

May 19, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 10
  Hi, I want to combine two existing micro to standard USB OTG cables to one micro to micro OTG. Is this possible by just cutting the wires and connecting all the same colored wires? Or do I fry my phone that way?

From what I've seen, you have to have one side that doesn't have the 4th and 5th pin connected. Is that true?

Thanks, Daan

I'm looking into this as well, since apparently no one makes a short USB OTG micro to micro cable.  I think you are correct.

I'm considering doing it by splicing a USB OTG micro to female USB with a micro to male USB cable.  I think I just need to cut the wires, match up the colors and shielding and I'll be done...I'll post the result here if I give it a go.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi, I'm trying to make one of these as well. Did it work out by just simply splicing two micro USB ends together? How do I determine which side is the source side? Thanks!

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 10
Sorry to revive an old post but I am very keen on making myself one of these but want to know if anyone succeeded and if there are dangers of inverting the wire? (if 1 side had the 4-5 pins grounded whereas the other side only pin 5) 

or if it frys my phone and or portable dac/amp if I just splice 2 otg cables....
found a company that makes one..... Red means dead seems to be the slogan for the wire haha..... 

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 10
I bought the cable you just posted.  It isn't quite as short as it is in the pictures (it's a few inches longer,) but it works great.  It's plug-and-play with my Galaxy S5 and Leckerton Audio UHA760.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 10
Hahaha nope.  The voltage and current running across USB is tiny; you're not gonna fry any circuits, even if you tried  :p  I've plugged it in backwards plenty of times with no ill effects.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 10
Where does one find the cable posted there?

There may be another one i saw in another topic too, its high end from an asian company, cannot recall the name..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back