Micro USB for dac
Nov 20, 2019 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Qupie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I have an older DAC/Amp (fiio e18) I am still very content with.

However, it uses Micro USB.... Probably the worst USB standard in history.
Every cable I own, cuts out from time to time. Tidal just gives an error or skips every song after 10 seconds. I have never bought a 3rd party one though, I only have experience with the ones that came with phones/fiio/ecigs etc

I am super glad newer androids have switched to usb-C, but I don't feel like buying a new amp just to get rid of the connector.

Have you guys had any experience with a good micro USB cable? That doesn't start to break after a few months of work? The shorter the better!

Additionally, I was looking to buy the Anker powerline+, would this work for a DAC (data transfer)? I am quite sure it would but the fact it is named "powerline" makes me somewhat hesitant.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 2
By what you wrote in your post, my first thought is maybe the problem is in your E18's usb jack, and not the cables?

If a sturdier USB cable is what you are after, a lot of people gravitate towards AudioQuest, with their least expensive USB cable costing around $40USD, I believe. I have an Audioquest Forest USB cable that goes from my Shiit Wyrd to my dac/amp. But it won't fix a wobbly USB jack... in case that is your issue, as no cable would fix a jack problem.

I have amassed a large collection of microUSB cables over the years, as all devices I purchase seem to include one for charging purposes. Out of all of them, I have only found one that did not work for music purposes, and that was one that came with a portable battery.

My point is that most USB cables will work for audio, unless they have been castrated to provide only power (I have no idea if this is technically correct or not).

Hope this helps you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back