Micro-Systems? Good or Waste of Time?
Jun 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Centropolis

100+ Head-Fier
I don't really see too much talk on micro-systems here so I want to pose a question for suggestions.

I am moving into a 560 sq ft condo unit in a few months and thinking of getting proper audio system.  The current stuff I have are more for computer and iPod listening.  I have Grado 60i and 225i, Sony 7506, PA2V2 headphone amp, AudioEngine A2s and.....wait for it.....uDAC-2.  I use the uDAC to output to my headphones or to my A2s.  So right now, all my music listening is from the laptop.

What I need is a proper separate audio system that plays CDs and MP3s off a USB drive.  I don't need wifi streaming and all that fun stuff.

The simple setup I thought of is get a pair of powered speakers like M-Audio BX5s or AudioEngine 5s, and then just buy a decent standalone CD player, plug it directly into the speakers, simple setup.  But a decent standalone CD player will be about $300 alone like an entry level NAD then the speakers will be abour $400 to $500 for the pair.

At this price point, would it be easier to just get a Denon Dm39?

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 2
I've heard good things about the Denon micro systems over on various AV forums. They apparently work well for what they are.

That being said, it can be worthwhile looking into network streaming since you can then play your full library off your laptop. This Onkyo receiver would let you connect to your laptop and then pair whatever speakers you want with it: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8050-Network-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B004UR486G/ If you have an iPod or iPhone, you can also plug them directly in via USB. Or there are audio video receivers that allow for playing audio off a USB stick and will have a lot more features, including network streaming. Economies of scale and attention on development really make AVRs a price/performance good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back