Micro Stack with beyer DT880, AKG k701 or HD 650
Jan 22, 2007 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Gurra1980

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking for the "ultimate" portable system for my iriver. Wich of these cans should i get with the microstack, I already have Hd-595 and therefor would a can that could compliment them be great. I think these Packaged Systems seems to be great for the money. If somone has compared these cans or even tested them with micro stack and could give some advice would be great, but I would be greateful for all advice i could get.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 28
Well, I can chime in somewhat that the DT880s are not portable at all.......if you want portability, you'll want different than the DT880s. They are great sounding, though, and if you're going to carry them around with you in an external case (you'll need a portable amp too to drive them) then these may be OK for you....

They just aren't portable.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 28
Eh, ya portable means stick onto your head and walk out the front door...in your cold country I wouldn't do that with any open headphone. (drivers get damaged by humidity).

Otherwise, the 3 headphones you put up have different sound signatures and you should be selecting by one of those rather than their performance with the microstack. Microstack is more or less fairly neutral.

Also, all of those headphones are more of a step up from hd595 rather than a compliment so you should just pick the one you like better.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkTrumpet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I can chime in somewhat that the DT880s are not portable at all.......if you want portability, you'll want different than the DT880s. They are great sounding, though, and if you're going to carry them around with you in an external case (you'll need a portable amp too to drive them) then these may be OK for you....

They just aren't portable.

Ok just need to explain a little here, I understand that neither of these headphones together with the microstack is portable in meens that you should take them to the buss, and walk around with them, but I just like to be able to take them with me on vacation to the summerhouse and such and use them in the different rooms in my house.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, ya portable means stick onto your head and walk out the front door...in your cold country I wouldn't do that with any open headphone. (drivers get damaged by humidity).

Otherwise, the 3 headphones you put up have different sound signatures and you should be selecting by one of those rather than their performance with the microstack. Microstack is more or less fairly neutral.

Also, all of those headphones are more of a step up from hd595 rather than a compliment so you should just pick the one you like better.

It's not always cold
tongue.gif

There is one thing that i don't want to her when listening to female vocalists and it is those harch Tsss and Sss sounds that offten appears in the music it's terrible. is this something someone has heard frome this stack with any of those cans. But I want an airy sound with great soundstage and attack.
Listen to everything from Sarah Brightman to Pantera.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portable as in listening on the daily commute? Or portable as in home/office/hotels?

Portable as in home/office/hotels.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok just need to explain a little here, I understand that neither of these headphones together with the microstack is portable in meens that you should take them to the buss, and walk around with them, but I just like to be able to take them with me on vacation to the sommerhouse and such and use them in the different rooms in my house.

Yes, exactly, they are transportable. Together with the MicroStack Bag, this little system is just excellent. Build quality, sound quality, flexibility are all top-notch. I have heard it with both the K701 and the HD 650 (each using the desktop module) and I think they both sound great out of that rig. In fact, listening to Tyll's broken-in 701 through the MicroStack + H120 is what made me get it in the first place. But I like the 650 better. That's just a taste thing, though, I think they perform equally well.

A few things to consider. The MicroAmp with desktop module eats batteries for lunch. So if you will be running on batteries a lot, I think you probably need to consider the standard MicroAmp. Also, mini-to-mini optical cables are somewhat hard to find, but there are plenty of adapters that do the job.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not always cold
tongue.gif

There is one thing that i don't want to her when listening to female vocalists and it is those harch Tsss and Sss sounds that offten appears in the music it's terrible. is this something someone has heard frome this stack with any of those cans. But I want an airy sound with great soundstage and attack.
Listen to everything from Sarah Brightman to Pantera.

With that range of music preference hd650 sounds most appropriate. The dt880 is described by many here as airy for sure but its classical oriented, k701 is the best sound stage in the price range, but it is also classical oriented... (that is if you read the forums plenty). I only have experience with hd650, through micro dac + porta corda, its quite impressive, especially for the relatively low price of the setup, sounded like if I were to choose a headphone for classic rock and metal, that would probably be my first choice. HD650 sound stage is also quite notable, we are talking about small differences between all of these headphones.

Edit: on second thought: since hd595 is not bassy, akg k701 is not bassy, dt880 is not particularly known for strong bass either...hd650 would be best compliment to call it so ^.^ (its got bass. not painful bass, quality bass) One user here, Davesrose, sports Sennheisers exclusively, and seems to use hd595 and hd650 as compliments on his setup.

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 28
There is a Dayton Optical Cable 1.5ft. included in the package.

Yes I heard that they are a little hungry for battery, How big is the difference in SQ between desktop module and the standard micro?

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

With that range of music preference hd650 sounds most appropriate. The dt880 is described by many here as airy for sure but its classical oriented, k701 is the best sound stage in the price range, but it is also classical oriented... (that is if you read the forums plenty). I only have experience with hd650, through micro dac + porta corda, its quite impressive, especially for the relatively low price of the setup, sounded like if I were to choose a headphone for classic rock and metal, that would probably be my first choice. HD650 sound stage is also quite notable, we are talking about small differences between all of these headphones.

I think I leaning towards 650 but it is the soundstage of 701 that seems great and that some say that 650 is a little dark sounding maybe the dt880 is a little to bad for metal.

Edit: yeah if 650 realy has good bass they should be a good compliment.

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 28
Give hd650 a shot...and its not an if, they do have good bass =] (tested with trance, pink floyd). I don't really think they are dark...although I am sure that one came from a Gradohead.

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

I don't really think they are dark...although I am sure that one came from a Gradohead.

Yes I think it did, I think I would have asking about high end Grados to If they werent so uncomfterable (only tried sr80)

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 28
Why not look for a bright circum-aural phone though? Or I believe Grados can be modded with different foam cups to be more comfortable.

Hey, this is an interesting idea to try...making custom cups for Grados that deliver same driver location but dt880-like comfort. Very doable too, don't see why Grado sticks to that design.

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 28
My Microstack/K701 setup is still working great. I am enjoying the pairing.

The K701's still border on the analytical side which is unlikely to change unless you go to tubes. It's still better than the HD650 which tends to collapse the soundstage a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back