Micro Stack vs. Desktop Amp/DAC
Nov 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Necrolic

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into picking up a DAC and an amp and stumbled upon these 2 options. I'm not really tech savvy so I'm wondering what the big differences between the two of these are and if the Desktop offers a large SQ improvement over the Micro stack.

I'm in Canada, so after conversion/taxes/border fees/shipping, the prices of each option with appropriate interconnects (coaxial cable for Desktop, Coaxial and mini to mini for Micro stack) looks something like this (final price will be in range given, depending on border fees it will vary):

- HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC w/ Interconnects: $1320-$1400
- HeadRoom Micro Stack w/ Interconnects: $875-$900

So my question is, is the HR Desktop option REALLY worth that extra $500, or is it just a slight improvement? I really don't understand the componentry, so I'm just curious of what the major differences are as far as SQ and such goes.

Nov 22, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 11
Both options will provide similar sound quality. However, the Desktop Amp has nice RCA connectors on the back of it, as well as two headphone outputs, i.e., mini and regular 1/4". The desktop also has a filter switch in addition to the crossfeed to enhance the sound output in a subtle way that you may like.

The increased cost offers greater flexibility and functionality. If you're not interested in the added functionality and flexibility, then go for the MicroStack.

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both options will provide similar sound quality. However, the Desktop Amp has nice RCA connectors on the back of it, as well as two headphone outputs, i.e., mini and regular 1/4". The desktop also has a filter switch in addition to the crossfeed to enhance the sound output in a subtle way that you may like.

The increased cost offers greater flexibility and functionality. If you're not interested in the added functionality and flexibility, then go for the MicroStack.

So the only reason you pay $339 USD more before taxes/shipping is for an extra headphone jack, RCA connectors, and a filter that you may or may not use? That seems a little weird to me...

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 11
Necrolic,

I'm currently looking at these options, and I think differences you've listed are pretty much it, but I would add:
  1. Extra analogue line in (they both have two, but the Micro amp has one taken up by the feed from the DAC, the Desktop is internal).
  2. One less power supply.
  3. Overall convenience of one box vs two for the amp and DAC.

Can't really see much else. Unless there's a difference in the electronics - they both appear to use the Home electronics module, but I'm not sure if they are exactly the same electronically as they state that: Quote:

Versions of the 'Home' electronics module is also found in our little HeadRoom Micro Amp...

See this link for more info on the modules. Hopefully someone from HeadRoom will be able to clarify
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,

Dave.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah I'm looking for a HeadRoom response to this. I mean I just can't believe that for an extra $330 all you get is some added convenience...

There must be something different in the electronics, right?

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'm looking for a HeadRoom response to this. I mean I just can't believe that for an extra $330 all you get is some added convenience...

There is a small difference in electronics with regard to class A biasing, and ancillary passive components are improved. And this question has been answered a few times before. Search is your friend. Starting to feel like we need an FAQ about some of these things.

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a small difference in electronics with regard to class A biasing, and ancillary passive components are improved. And this question has been answered a few times before. Search is your friend. Starting to feel like we need an FAQ about some of these things.

I did search, the only thing it came up with that was relevant was a couple Ultra Desktop vs. Ultra Micro Stack threads, which I suppose in the end were the equivalent to what this thread told me just with the higher models.

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, apparently not really.

Now it's up to you to determine whether or not this is of an additional $330 value to you. Just be aware that a piece of interconnect cable can cost the same as the amp.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, apparently not really.

Now it's up to you to determine whether or not this is of an additional $330 value to you. Just be aware that a piece of interconnect cable can cost the same as the amp.
very_evil_smiley.gif

True that. I have been considering picking up HD650s or K701s when I'm able to set some more money aside, so it might be worth the extra cost just to have an amp that I can use adaptor-free with either of those when I get them.

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 11
Speaking of differences, anyone here uses the brightness filters on the Desktop Amps? If so, do you use it all the time or with particular cans? Just curious.

I've been personally not using the brightness filters.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 11
I generally set the brightness filter to "filter 1" with Senn 600s or 650s and
sometimes use the same setting for Audioengine A2 speakers.

I'm pretty sensitive to any excess brightness, but I don't find that at all with this filter.

BTW -- For anyone who might be considering the "Max" electronics module: the Max in the Ultra Desktop Amp really is top drawer, and quite an improvement over my old headamp (no slouch either) -- a 2002 MOH with the then-top-of-the line Reference module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back