Micro-Driver Madness!! (Joyroom E107 added)
Aug 16, 2016 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

B9Scrambler

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings Head-fi!

Today we are going to be taking a look at a slew of micro-driver earphones. I really enjoy micro-driver earphones for whatever reason, and have one or two kickin' about in my collection. Given this, I felt it would be nice to gather them all up in one place.

**Please note that this thread will continue to be a work in progress as I update descriptions, add images, play around with formatting and more. Of course, as I continue to collect additional micro-driver earphones expect them to be added.**

The Lineup:

AAW Q, BYZ K17, Huast H10, KZ HDS1, KZ HDS2, KZ HDS3, KZ Micro Ring, VJJB K2S, Remax RM 720i, JVC HA-FRD60, JVC HA-FRD80, JVC HA-FXH30, JVC HA-FXT90, Tingo GG16859, Yamaha EPH-100 DIY, Shure SE215 DIY, RHA S500i, Advanced M4, MusicMaker TW1, Havi B3 Pro 1, Brainwavz Omega, Somic MH-415, Joyroom E107

Incoming: Remax RM565i, Somic V4, QKZ DM8, and lastly the Havi B3 Pro 2 (none are samples btw)

Disclaimer:

Of these earphones, the following were provided as review samples; Brainwavz Omega, Havi B3 Pro 1, Advanced M4, RHA S500i, AAW Q. The BYZ K17 was lent to me for a couple weeks. Thanks @RvTrav! The remainder have all been purchased through a variety of sources, ranging from retail outlets to online stores. Everything you will be reading is my opinion and entirely subjective. For the most part sound quality will be the determining factor about how I feel about these products, though build quality, cost, and other factors may come into play.

About Me:

Over the last couple years I decided to dive head first into the world of portable audio. After reading pretty much the entirety of IjokerI's multi-earphone review thread and being greatly inspired, I took a chance and started writing my own reviews. Fast forward a couple years and I've had the opportunity to write about some great products for wonderful companies like RHA, Havi, FiiO, NarMoo, Brainwavz, and Meze. I don't do it for money or free stuff, but because I enjoy it. If my reviews can help guide someone to an earphone that makes them happy, I'll consider that a job well done.

The gear I use for testing is pretty basic composing of an HTC One M8 cellphone, Topping NX1 portable amplifier, XDuoo X3 with Rockbox, and my aging Asus G73 gaming laptop paired with a Plantronics Rig USB amp. I listen primarily to various EDM sub-genres (liquid drum and bass, breakbeat, drumstep, etc.), hip hop, and classic rock. When it comes to earphone preferences I tend to leans towards aggressive and bassy, but I try not to limit myself to one signature only. I also tend to listen at lower than average volumes.

Let's check out the lineup!

The Elite

These are my top tier picks that easily justify a purchase.

​

JVC HA-FXH30: Are you surprised these are in the elite category? Well, you shouldn't be. The FXH30 does everything, and it does it well. It also perfectly encapsulates my idea that a well-tuned micro-driver can do it all; speed of a BA, bass of a DD! The FXH30 is the follow up to JVC's popular FXD80/FRD80 micro-driver model, and in my opinion one-ups it in pretty much every way.

I found the FXD80/FRD80 way too bright (and I like my earphones bright) and extremely thin sounding. The FXH30 gives off a thicker and more balanced sound while maintaining all of the FXD80's benefits; speedy bass response and gobs of detail.

You can read my full review here; http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-canal-type-earphone-ha-fxh30/reviews/13809

Havi B3 Pro 1: The B3 Pro 1 utilizes a dual micro-driver setup and is my bassline for a balanced sound. They have some of the most lush and accurate midrange I've experienced along with an unusually spacious soundstage for an in-ear earphone, let along for something under 100 USD. Their sound is slightly thin, but this emphasizes their excellent detail retrieval and aids in amazing imaging qualities. The B3 Pro 1 is a very unique product that needs to be heard.

My full review and others can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/havi-b3-pro-1/reviews

Tingo GX12: The GX12 was a very short lived product it seems. I have no idea how many were sold, but the store I ordered from them from took them down after only two were sold. When I inquired if they would be coming back, I was advised they were discontinued.

So why is Tingo's excellent dual-driver micro-driver in the elite section? Well, it takes the basic signature of the JVC HA-FXT90 which it is based on and makes some subtle but significant changes. It has the same aggressive, mild v-shaped signature with outstanding timbre. It improves upon the FXT90 by smoothing out the treble response and dialing down the aggressive peaks. It better balances mid- and sub-bass response with more extension into sub-bass regions. The housing vent is larger, which I suspect is what's giving the GX12 their expansive and accurate soundstage.

On top of the auditory improvements Tingo tossed in a really good three-button remote with microphone making this more usable than the FXT90 as a daily driver, especially if you primarily listen out of a cell-phone or remote-supported DAP.

If you can find them, buy them. It's essentially a better HA-FXT90 for 16 CAD.

​

KZ Micro Ring: If you weren't expecting these to be up here, shame on you. The Micro Ring not only started my love for KZ earphones, but more importantly for the tip-mounted micro-driver design.

The Micro Ring brings to the scene a warm, fairly neutral and well-balanced signature with some of the sweetest mids around. Detail could be better, but these are such a comfortable listen I truthfully wouldn't have it any other way. To this day there are only a few earphones that I would listen to over this little wonder. It's too bad they were discontinued a couple years ago, else I would advise you go scoop up a pair immediately.

AAW Q: The Q is an elite micro-driver because they bring excellent sound quality to what is easily the smallest and most discreet product here.

Saying the Q is small is an understatement. It's about the size of your average medium ear tip, and not much larger than the end piece housing the driver on the EPH-100 (DIY), HDS2, or any of JVC's micro-drivers. This means it disappears in your ear, literally, and never becomes a hindrance. Build quality is quite decent as well, though I question the in-built strain relief since it exits the housing at 90 degrees. I think a 45 degree exit would be better suited to the in-canal design AAW has crafted.

Sound quality is excellent. I found them to be fairly balanced with a mild bass boost. Their treble presentation is polite, if not a tad dull for my personal tastes, but is very clean and smooth. The mid-range presentation is my favorite aspect coming across natural and clear with all vocal ranges, male or female, and instruments that fall within this area. Their bass lacks as bit in extension, but makes up for it with realistic attack and decay.

Overall the Q is a pretty unique and highly capable earphone. 

My full review can be found here; http://www.head-fi.org/products/advanced-acousticwerkes-q/reviews/16719

The Good

Any of these would be a great buy and provide you with a solid ownership experience.

ADVANCED M4: The M4 is a fantastic earphone and one I would recommend everyone try, except for those whom are treble sensitive or tend to avoid foam tips. I found that with silicone tips their treble was a little rough and bass lacked extension.

Toss on some good foam tips, either the included Comply's or KZ's stiff, almost rubbery foams, and the M4 transforms into one amazingly revealing and fairly balanced earphone, especially at their sub 50 USD price tag. Add to that good build quality and one heck of a cable and this is a pretty stunning package.

My full review and others can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/adv-sound-m4/reviews

RHA S500i: The S500i and the M4 are clearly cut from the same cloth with some minor differences in their signatures. The S500i is very slightly darker, bassier, and does not feature quite as tight a treble response as the M4. It has a three button remote for iOS devices and a lighter, though noisier cable. The housings are also smaller and more comfortable, but isolation isn't quite as good.

If you like a little more umph in the low end but still enjoy a bright signature, the S500i is well worth your time.

My full review and others can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/rha-s500i-ultra-compact-in-ear-headphone/reviews

VJJB K2S: Out of the box the K2S failed to 'wow' me in any way. Over time I realized that was their biggest strength. As an all-rounder, they pretty much dominate in this comparison. They're not overly bright, or super bassy, mids aren't in your face or too recessed, they're not too big or oddly shaped making them difficult to fit. They output a pleasant signature that makes them very easy to listen to.

The entire experience just feels 'right'. They're a solid example of something that doesn't excel in any one area, but manages to be good at everything. Remember earlier that I said everything in this comparo is subjective.

You can read my full review here; http://www.head-fi.org/products/vjjb-k2s/reviews/15975

KZ HDS1: I was really hoping the HDS1 would be a suitable micro-driver replacement for the Micro Ring. It's not, but it is a great earphone on it's own merits.

The HDS1 is one of the more balanced KZs with a slight boost to their midrange. They lean towards the warm side of neutral. Mid-bass presence is a little more present than I would prefer when considering how nicely balanced the rest of the signature is, but it's not a deal breaker at all. Where the HDS1 could improve is in soundstage during low volume listening. In this somewhat niche area they come across congested. Up the volume and the soundstage opens to more normal levels.

My full review and others can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/binmer-tm-kz-hds1-mini-metal-diy-headset-hd-dynamic-pronunciation-ear-headphones-silver/reviews

JVC HA-FRD60: As the entry level model in JVC's past-gen tip-mounted micro-driver segment, the FRD60 is pretty good. I actually prefer it to the FRD80 due to their slightly thicker and more balanced presentation.

The FRD60 is still a very bright earphone, comparing nicely to the RHA S500i and ADVANCED M4. It's presentation is thinner, it's bass digs deeper, and it has more sparkle up top. Resolution is excellent, but they are a bit sibilant. Treble can also be a touch grainy, a trait I've noticed among many of JVC's carbon nanotube earphones. These also have the best inline mic I've ever come across.

JVC HA-FRD80: The FRD80 is for those who like treble and lots of it.

They are extremely bright and sparkly, overly resolving, with strong bass to back it up. Their midrange is a touch further back than I would like and their overall sound much thinner than I'm comfortable with. They lack the weight and authority of their successor, the HA-FXH30. They give an excellent sense of air, however, and have quite a unique presentation compared to many of today's current earphones.

JVC HA-FXT90: The FXT90 is an excellent earphone, and the only reason why it's not in the Elite section is because of Tingo and their one-upping of it. It features dual micro-drivers and is known for it's aggressive signature that stands out with rock and metal. It shares qualities of the FRD80, but in my opinion is clearly superior.

I found their midrange to be quite prominent; ahead of bass, but behind treble. It's very clear and natural with fantastic accuracy. Treble is bright, but not thin and prickly like on the FRD80. It has good extension but can be a touch rough around the edges, especially when compared to current gen JVCs. Bass focuses more on providing punch and kick than sub-bass rumble. Not normally my preference, but it works in the context of this earphone. Texture across the board is outstanding. Soundstage is good with better depth than width, something I find common among JVC's micro-driver lineup.

MusicMaker TW1: These are the stylish bass cannons of the bunch. The housing is tiny and made of an exceptionally shiny chromed metal. Attached is a cable that is equally attractive. The design, build, and material quality are outstanding for the price.

The TW1's sound signature matches it's consumer-friendly design and is dominated by bass; too much mid-bass for my preferences. Their midrange is full and lush, though lightly veiled. I found their treble to take a step back in presence. It also comes across slightly splashy. For low volume listening these are fantastic.

You can read my full review here; http://www.head-fi.org/products/musicmaker-tw1/reviews/16395

​

​
Remax RM720i: Despite having titanium-coated micro-drivers they're not bright or overly sparkly and instead have a very chill mid and mid-bass focused sound. I found their soundstage to be larger than average with excellent imaging and separation, lending nicely to their relaxed signature. That said, they fall short in detail when compared to the VJJB K2S and sound a bit dull when a/bing the two.

What warranted adding them to this category was not their sound, but their features. They have a massive inline remote/mic and very clear left/right markings. I truly think that for someone whom is vision impaired or maybe has trouble with fine motor movement for whatever reason, the RM720i would be fantastic. Without looking at them you can easily determine channel and work the remote. It's easily the most user-friendly earphone I've come across.

Shure SE215 Special Edition (DIY): They were advertised as a DIY, so I was expecting little more than the earphone, cable, and a couple accessories. What I got was a 1:1 copy of the SE215 Special Edition, packaging and all.

These aren't super sparkly up top; smoother and more refined than the VSD2 but not quite as good as the VSD3. Decent extension. Pretty relaxed and good for long listening sessions, but the VSD3 has more accomplished treble overall. Mids are nicely forward and natural sounding. Vocals, both male and female are well represented and nicely detailed. I prefer the DIY here over the VSD3. Bass goes to the DIY. It's tighter and quicker than the VSD3, without any bloat or bleed into the mids. It's also better textured and more dynamic. I found bass on the VSD3 to be warm and comfortable to listen to, but a little flat. Quantity goes to the VSD3, but overall quality to the DIY.

BYZ K17: The K17 utilizes a 6mm tip-mounted micro-driver and offers up a pretty unique signature. They're mildly warm and lean towards a thin-ish, detailed, mostly balanced sound.

Treble is thin and crisp without coming across as bright or sibilant. It seems extension runs strong for a while then drops of quickly preventing fatigue. JVC could learn a thing or two here. The midrange feels quite forward in the signature, with vocals, guitars, and other mid-centric sounds taking a very intimate, centre stage. The K17's bass presentation is odd. Sub-bass extension is actually pretty good, handling Kavinsky's Solli just fine. Mid-bass is quick and punchy with a rapid decay. The K17 can handle really quick basslines with relative ease. My only issue with the bass is a slightly hollow presentation and what sounds like an exaggerated dip between lower mid-bass and upper sub-bass frequencies. 

I found the soundstage to be somewhat compressed, but not stuffy, probably due to the forward midrange. Despite this, they still manage to come across somewhat airy. I'll chalk that up to the thinness. Separation is excellent, though imaging isn't up to par with my top micro-drivers. Overall resolution and detail is excellent for a product in this under $20 bracket.

The K17 is well built, well-priced, and brings a unique signature to the table. Worth a listen for sure.

The Average
 ​
Decent earphones but not outstanding

KZ HDS3: When I first saw the HDS3 available on AliExpress, I was pretty excited. I figured it would share the same driver as the HDS1 but bring to the table an improved housing, a more manageable cable, and a unique inline controller making this a great portable solution.

I first started to worry when report after reports of HDS3s with issues started rolling in; dead channels, non-functioning remotes, etc. They were off to a bad start. Luckily when mine arrived there were no issues. Unluckily, I realized they did not share the same drivers as the HDS1, or at least not the same tuning.

The HDS3 offers up a v-shaped signature with more treble and bass presence than the HDS1. While this is nice for giving them a more lively and less neutral sound, where did the detail and clarity go? The HDS3 is veiled, bass is slightly muddy, and overall they are a huge disappointment. Unlike most KZ's they sound little better than what I would expect from an iem in this price range. They're at best a perfectly average earphone with little redeeming qualities since you can get other earphones, within the same brand no less, that do this signature better. At least the cable is decent, they look nice, and the mic/remote works well.

Yamaha EPH100 (DIY): I bought these expecting them to be fakes, and they are. That said, they are a solid earphone on their own merit. They have a very mid-focused sound with early roll off at either end. What makes them special is that they still have a large soundstage, excellent imaging, and are quite accurate. I love em, but I don't think I would be in the majority here.

​

Brainwavz Omega: The Omega is Brainwavz's first micro-driver entry and while I'm a fan, like the HDS3 there are other earphones that perform better in this v-shaped role at nearly the same price. It also doesn't help that the Omega suffers from some very intrusive driver flex. On the plus side, their midrange is forward enough and tuning versatile enough for the Omega to work well across a wide variety of genres. It also has a good inline remote that works well with both Android and iDevices.

My full review and others can be found here; http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-omega-in-ear-monitors/reviews

The Rest
 ​
 Feel free to skip over these.

Huast H10: The H10 has a very clear v-shape with boosted treble and bass with recessed mids. For a micro-driver, they take an interesting turn and focus more on sub-bass than mid-bass. This gives them a somewhat unique sound since you feel the bass more than hear it. This combined with some very sparkly treble lends to an oddly pleasant sound. Soundstage is average. Imaging is too. Overall they sound okay and worth the 7 CAD paid.

What brings them down to this category is that it took three tries to get one that just sounded "okay" and they're still not perfect. The first one came with a horrendous channel imbalance. The second pair had the same imbalance plus a torn up cable. The final pair thankfully sounded fine, but still with a two dB channel imbalance. Thankfully the Rockbox mod for my X3 allowed me to counter this imbalance and finally listen to these properly. If they weren't so unreliable, they would be a good alternative to some of the less accomplished models from KZ.

Somic MH415: When I first got these, I felt they were a good alternative to the VSonic VSD3 if you wanted something less bassy and more balanced. I still agree with this statement, but unfortunately there are a number of earphones I would recommend over them, such as the KZ HDS1 or VJJB K2S.

That said, the MH415 is still a decent sounding earphone offering up a fairly balanced sound, a comfortable fit, and removable cables. Where they stumble is in a very restricted soundstage and in my case, poor durability. I baby most of my earphones and despite this the right earpiece split. Ever since, I've had issues with massive driver flex which affects bass output and balance making them virtually unusable.

KZ HDS2: These were a huge disappointment. I was expecting great things from KZ's return to the tip-mounted micro-driver, especially since they decided to go with Yamaha's EPH-100 housing, but nope, they suck.

The HDS2 is a generic sounding, muddy, overly bassy earphone that sounds exactly as you would expect something in this price range to sound. It does not live up to the Micro Ring in any way, nor the rest of KZ's modern lineup. The only redeeming factors are a large soundstage and decent imaging. Otherwise, this thing is a blah-fest.

If you want spare tips for your EPH-100 these might warrant a purchase.

Joyroom E107: I had pretty high expectations for these little guys, and wow did they under deliver. Nice housings, great mic, solid packaging and presentation, and outstanding comfort are the pluses.

Unfortunately, those positives are hindered by a mediocre cable and some of the least appealing treble presentation I've come across in a while. Their mid-range is alright though slightly digital sounding with male vocals. Female vocals are nice, but the recession takes away from any true enjoyment. 

If you feel like it, you can check out the full review here.

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 45
Nice thread! I love micro drivers as well so I'm officially subbed 
gs1000.gif

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 45
I can see that you like the Tingo GX12 a lot. I found that it is in stock on taobao for just 89 RMB, then it's must be a steal at that price !
https://world.taobao.com/item/523984179271.htm

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 45
  I can see that you like the Tingo GX12 a lot. I found that it is in stock on taobao for just 89 RMB, then it's must be a steal at that price !
https://world.taobao.com/item/523984179271.htm

You are the man! Yes, they are totally worth the asking price. They're probably the best bang-for-your-buck earphone in this thread tbh.

Speaking of this thread, I need to make some updates by adding the BYZ K17, AAW Q, and updating images. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 45
Yeah, out of stock like everywhere else :) The page is still there but not the VC02. Nor should B9 pay $49 for them. Fine to collect microdrivers but don't overpay for them
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 45
  i saw that remax rm-565i has a 6mm driver, i'd be interested to see how they stand in the competition!
tongue_smile.gif

We shall find out when they arrive. Got those and a couple other micro-drivers coming...eventually. Slow boat from China and all. One very popular little budget offering, and another dual driver. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back