Micro DAC with Larocco PR II
Dec 9, 2005 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pete7

Headphoneus Supremus
I pulled the trigger on a Larocco PR II and am planning on also getting a HeadRoom Micro DAC for a desktop set-up. I was curious if anyone has tried this pair together? I was torn between getting this pair and the Micro Stack but decided that I prefer neutrality over coloration when it comes to amps. I will miss the crossfeed, but I think the bass contouring will hopefully make up for that.
basshead.gif

Dec 9, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I'm aware of that, thanks. I don't think I can wait 8 months. Next...

Wait 8 months then have people buy the darn thing for less than you after that too.
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 9
Pretty much the plan, although I'd be willing to pay the same. Until then, I'll try to make do with what's out there now.

Dec 9, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I pulled the trigger on a Larocco PR II and am planning on also getting a HeadRoom Micro DAC for a desktop set-up. I was curious if anyone has tried this pair together?

Erikzen has the PRII/Micro DAC pairing. You can get in touch with him here. It sounded great when I hear it at the NY Meet a few weeks ago. It was in that setup that I also concluded that the PRII was indeed the best sounding portable/transportable amp around.

Dec 11, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 9
Considering the cost of the PRII, is it likely that Larocco's DAC will cost significantly more than the Micro DAC?

As tempting as it is, I think I am going to hold back my investment into a DAC for a while. So I am happy to wait for more options. But I don't think my budget will stretch to $500 for a DAC (assuming the Larocco DAC follows the pricing of the amp).

And come to think of it. I wonder if Ray will get into the DAC business at some point (well, I own the Hornet, so this had to cross my mind
biggrin.gif
).

Dec 11, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 9
I wouldn't hold out for the Larocco DAC if you're in need of one now. Taking into consideration how long the Pocket Reference took, I'd say we have a 6-8 month wait at least. Plus, Larry still has another portable amp to get to first before he can start building the DACs. Talk about a DAC just started like 2 days ago or something, so Phil probably isn't very far along in the design phase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back