Micro DAC usb input
Dec 29, 2006 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

calcajun

100+ Head-Fier
How do you send digital data to the Micro DAC usb input?

Can this be done with a direct connect usb cable from computer to Micro DAK, or do you need another piece of hardware between?

Thanks

Ok, so after searching for info on the input, the only thing i found was.....

" Attach to external usb sound "

So i figure usb to usb sound then to Micro DAC usb input.
Would usb sound be better compared to coax dibital out?
In other words, is there a usb sound that send digital info better than the coax out? Less jitter?

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 10
There are other ways to connect the Headroom MicroDAC (I'm assuming that you're referring to the Headroom unit) to one's computer, such as via the digital output of a sound card if that is available. However you would have to provide us with more information about your setup, i.e. type of sound card, if any, type of computer, operating system of computer, etc., in order to determine exactly what options are available in your particular case.

In any case, the USB connection is working so don't sweat it too much and just enjoy the music. The MicroDAC is great little piece of equipment that does a wonderful job and sounds fantastic.

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 10
Hey,

In my home office i have HP media center pc running XP MCE with onboard sound which is realtek. Initially i was using the coax out on the back of the pc. The reason i wondered if it would be better to use usb is because the coax out is rca. I was using an rca cable with an adapter at the other end to plug into the Headroom Micro DAC. I am under the impression that this cable and adapter is not ideal for moving the data.

Before i connected the usb i was using kernal streaming out of the coax with the not ideal cable.

Now with the usb, in foobar i have to choose the DS primary sound Driver which i believe is microsoft direct sound.

So whats the suggested best way to go?
I can also get a suggested sound card but don't feel thats necesary since i go digi out to DAC to amp to phones.

I also have a media center pc in living room with a 6 foot run rca to the digital in of the AV Reciever and want to put the best kind of connetion on that.
It is also a media center pc but the pc is on one side of the TV and reciever on the other. The pc has the coax out which is rca and the reciever has coax in which is rca. So from the pc to the other side of tv to reciever is rca to rca.The reciever also has multiple Optical inputs. I would like to have the pc closer to reciever but there is no room on that side and if i put the pc on top shelf it stands way taller than the tv.

Realy though on both pc's i just want to send the digital data the best way to the DA converters.

tvcomp.jpg

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to start one hell of a little war of words here with the following comment but I believe that the jury is still out on just what exactly is the best type of connection for a digital signal.

Many people feel that the USB connection is okay while others say that there is too much jitter in the signal. Others feel that optical is only and best way and others think that coaxial is fine. Me, I can't tell the difference between any of them on the audio equipment and ears that I own.

One thing which I'm unsure of, and perhaps someone with more technical knowledge could answer, is whether or not using the USB output on one's computer bypass's the sound card or the on-board sound features. I ask this because many sound cards have lots of advanced features which would then become mote if one used a USB connection to go to an external DAC.

Ah the things these hardware guys don't tell us poor consumers.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 10
Yeah, I could care less about soundcard features and thier signal processing stuff.
I just want to get the best direct digital signal to my headroom Micro DAC in the office and the same from pc to the reciever in the living room.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 10
Well, gues what?

While using usb connection i kept hearing glitches and or dropouts and sometimes sounding like a scratch on vinyl.

I am back to kernal streaming with rca coax out to the Micro DAC opti/coax in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back