Micro DAC + Hornet vs SM3v6 vs AE-1 vs Microamp
Feb 19, 2006 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FIJI

Head-Fier
Hi. This is kinda like two threads or two questions in one. First, I'm looking to buy a new portable headphone amp in the pricerange of the amps listed in to the topic ie 300-400 dollars. Currently I have HD-595s, Grado sr-60s, and shure e4's. I will be getting the shure e500s when they come out and am also interested in the dt880s or the k701's as future purchases. As for my musical preferences I like almost everything except like hardcore deathrock screaming type stuff. I listen to a lot of vocal trance, blues, jazz, sarah mclachlan type music, etc. So one of my questions is: is there any MAJOR difference in the performance of the Hornet, SM3v6, AE-1, or Micro Amp? I haven't heard any of them. Are all of them capable of driving higher impedence headphones like the dt880s? Are any of them known to have a specific synergy with a certain genre/or headphone? I would prefer one that would be good with just about any music and about any headphone (especially the ones i currently own and the ones I will be buying in the future). I already have a Micro DAC on the way (my stepdad is giving it to me). This is the 2nd part of my question. The obvious thing to do would be to mate it with the Micro Amp, however, there are a few things that attract me to the other amps like their longer battery life and ability to charge batteries while plugged in. So would any of the other amps work well with the Micro DAC? I honestly don't know how much I would be using any of the amps portably, but it would be nice to have the option for airline flights, etc. Thanks ahead of time for any responses!

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 9
I used to work in an auto parts store a long time ago.

Everyone would ask, "What's the best motor oil for my car?"

I would always them all the name brands were good, and that it was really just personal preference. I would compare it to beer or soda: everyone's different, take your pick.

After I said all that, they'd always say, "But, what do you think's the best motor oil?"
tongue.gif

You can't really go wrong with any of these amps especially with the Micro DAC.

There's "a lot" of threads on all these amps, and most HeadFiers are pretty precise in their descriptions of how they each sound and compare to each other.

You may not get many responses and comparisons because they've been discussed so many times already, but there's never anything wrong with asking because everyone here is pretty cool and helpful.

You can use the "search" function. There's alot of info here. I really think you can't go wrong. I'm happy with my Xin SM3 V3, but I'm pretty sure a Micro Amp or Hornet would make me more than happy too.

In the end I still really like the ability to change opamps and buffers(V6) and the four feature switches of Xin's. And it's small size is nice.

I like Castrol and Guinness by the way. . . but that's just me
icon10.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for your reply. I have used the search function to look up all those amps and yeah pretty much everyone says they are all good, but a lot of the threads I have read didn't really seem to answer my questions specifically, especially the one about any of them paired with the Micro DAC, and that is why i started a new thread. Moreover, with there being only about 5 pages of threads in the amps section I took the time to look at each topic to see if there could be any relevant information. Maybe I just didn't search well enough or something...

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 9
If it helps you at all, you can click on my link below to see pics of the Micro DAC and SM3 V3.

Visuals really help. The SM3 is pretty darn small. The Hornet is even smaller.

Go to the Mall Fi forum here at HeadFi and look for Rnb180's post/ad. From there you can click to his link to his "showroom" site.

He has pics comparing the Hornet, Micro Amp, and SM3.

RnB180 also owns all these amps and the Micro DAC.

The Micro DAC is awesome, and you can't go wrong with any of these amps. I really like how the Micro Amp fits with the Micro DAC visually and physically. I like visuals and the touch and feel of things and to me they look really good together that's why I have it on my wishlist. HeadRoom's a great company.

The Micro DAC will add more depth, texture, power, and clarity to the existing sound signatures of all these amps. To my ears, the highs, mids, and lows all sound better with more force, clarity, transparency, and the soundstage is more expansive yet intimate due to the clearing of the veil.

Xin's awesome too, but he's been backlogged lately and you may not get your amp for many, many (3-6 weeks?).

With the Micro Amp you can get a Desktop or Micro module at the same cost. The Desktop sounds better but you get less battery life.

What are you using as a source to feed into your Micro DAC?

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FIJI
Moreover, with there being only about 5 pages of threads in the amps section I took the time to look at each topic to see if there could be any relevant information. Maybe I just didn't search well enough or something...

you need to change your preferences.

In the upper left of you screen, click USER CP.

click Edit Options on left panel.

adjust Default Thread Age Cut Off
to your desired dates.

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 9
I have a pioneer dvd/cd/sacd player that I could feed into it. I will also be using it with my computer. I have a creative x-fi sound card. I don't know if I should use the optical out from the soundcard (i have an optical mini-mini cable) or just use usb though? I know what you mean about how things look visually and from pictures I've seen the Micro stack does look nice together. Do you think most people with the micro amp probably don't use it as a portable amp with their ipod, for example, because of its relatively short battery life? Thanks again for your responses
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 9
WHOA. Changing that option made a HUGE difference. I guess I will do some more searching now and will probably find some stuff I wasn't able to see earlier. Thanks for your help.

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 9
To me the Micro Amp is a bit big to be used as an amp with an Ipod. I prefer smaller amps on the go. I originally got the SM3 due to it's size for use with my Ipod Mini.

I don't like the sound of my Ipod rig anymore I don't even bother, and I just wait to use my iBook Rig.

Good luck.

Feb 20, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinOut
To me the Micro Amp is a bit big to be used as an amp with an Ipod. I prefer smaller amps on the go. I originally got the SM3 due to it's size for use with my Ipod Mini.

I don't like the sound of my Ipod rig anymore I don't even bother, and I just wait to use my iBook Rig.

Good luck.

After using Micro DAC and Micro amp with my latptop, I don't use Ipod anymore either, too bad Ipod doesn't work with DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back