Micro DAC for Micro Amp - Worth It?
Dec 26, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #16 of 22
Hey Snacks,

I was going to post in my Xin Upgrade thread:

A DAC really goes well with Xin's amps (any amp really).

Since you have a Mac no need to worry about ASIO, kernel streaming, Foobar. Unless you have a preference for the customizing options and interface of Foobar.

As far what is better Mac iTunes, or XP Foobar/ASIO bit-perfect, I've read opinions on both sides. For me, I can't tell with my rig and ears.

Dec 26, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #17 of 22
True; I've read a thread in which Xin found that out first hand. It was a pretty interesting read, as at that time, I believe that there was even talk of him making a DAC. That of course never came to fruition, but IMO it would have been nice.

I've yet to decide on what I will do about a DAC, there are lots of different choices; I'll get one soon enough though as I believe in their worth.

Dec 26, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #18 of 22
The MicroDAC is a superb source for $300. I can't think of a better way to complete a entry level audiophile system. I prefer it to my ex-Cambridge Audio CD player worth $500 and I don't think you will significantly beat its sound quality unless you spend a lot more (say a DAC-1)

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have an iMac but I grabbed this from the Apple website:

"Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in microphone, optical digital audio output/headphone out, optical digital audio input/audio line in "

Apparently the 1/8" headphone out is shared with the optical out. The optical out will require an optical cable that is termianted to mini optical or you can get (2) toslink to mini optical adapters from Headroom here. The digital in on the Micro DAC is a shared mini optical/ 1/8" mini coaxial input in addtion to the USB input. Line out on the MicroDAC is 1/8" mini stereo.

I have the MicroDAC connected to the optical out of my iMac and use the MicroAMP as well. Right now I'm driving my HD600's with the amp on Hi gain, iTunes AAC320, No EQ. Sounds great! I'm looking for a tube amp and I'll plug the MicroDAC into that eventually.

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcodeguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the MicroDAC connected to the optical out of my iMac and use the MicroAMP as well. Right now I'm driving my HD600's with the amp on Hi gain, iTunes AAC320, No EQ. Sounds great! I'm looking for a tube amp and I'll plug the MicroDAC into that eventually.

Man, you use high gain? I can't seem to turn the volume knob very far at all when i use my microstack on high gain with my hd600. i generally use medium gain so i have a bit more flexibility with the volume knob. or maybe you just like it loud! but back on topic, the microdac is awesome! it makes the microamp sound that much better!

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, you use high gain? I can't seem to turn the volume knob very far at all when i use my microstack on high gain with my hd600. i generally use medium gain so i have a bit more flexibility with the volume knob. or maybe you just like it loud! but back on topic, the microdac is awesome! it makes the microamp sound that much better!

Yes, I use the Hi gain. I've never gone much past 11 o'clock though and never for long either!
580smile.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #22 of 22
another vote for the MicroDAC! buy the MicroDAC for you will be glad you did.

I use mine with the MicroAmp / w module upgrade and me Rev A iMac. I could not imagine owning the MicroAmp and not getting the MicroDAC too. I'm so glad I spent the money and well worth it!

I have read that Mac's ships with very good sound cards but HeadRoom says there's hard to find a sound card as good as this MicroDAC. The MicroDAC is better than what's in me iMac.

you are able to use it with Optical, Coaxial and USB digital connections. I have the MicroDAC hooked up to me iMac via Optical and USB and I cannot tell a difference between the $50 optical cable and the $5 USB cable I got just to check it out. A bud uses his hooked up by Coaxial on his Dell.

I would not worry about the battery option of the DAC unless you have a portable use for it. My DAC is used only with me iMac so the Wall Wart stays hooked up to it at all times.

I just woke up and got to go back to bed. I could go on but here's some reviews to look at. I thought I had another review but maybe the one I'm thinking of is one of these four. been a few months since I have read them.

http://www.americanwired.com/audio/headroom/micro.html

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/h...ro_amp_dac.htm

http://www.dansdata.com/microstack.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...microstack.htm

get the MicroDAC..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back