Micro DAC came today!
Dec 13, 2005 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Pete7

Headphoneus Supremus
My Micro DAC arrived today after only having ordered it from HeadRoom Friday. I've been using it via USB from my computer as my new Emu404 and optical cable aren't coming until tomorrow. All I can say is holy crap! I've never heard such clarity and detail through a pair of headphones. What I don't understand is that the sound appears not to need any equalization. When I go portable w/ an amp I never use the line out as it always sounds better with some equalization. If it sounds this good with USB, I can't imagine how it'll sound using an optical. Can someone explain why the sound doesn't need to be equalized? It even sounded perfect with UM2's, and I can't stand the way they sound unequalized.

Dec 13, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 22
Yep, welcome to the land of no-EQ! Mine is moldering on a shelf. Good components = no need to EQ!

Dec 13, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 22
Can't wait for my dac...i've had enough of the pci sound card
rolleyes.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 22
Something I also noticed: I've been using a Portaphile v2^2 with the Micro DAC and there doesn't seem to be any need for crossfeed. The soundstage is so huge, it feels as if it's 360 degrees around my head(with UM2's moreso than HF-1's)- very non-fatiguing, like my ears are just feeding on the sound. Such an amazing difference then just the portable player/amp set-up. Man, I'm really getting spoiled.

Dec 13, 2005 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 22
I am also considering this DAC, but it's a bit more expensive than what I have on my budget. Well, not really, but I have to consider shipping and I also want a better pair of IEMs. Anyway, please keep us posted on any issues you may have, like insuficcient memory or something of the sort.

Dec 13, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
My Micro DAC arrived today <snip> If it sounds this good with USB, I can't imagine how it'll sound using an optical. <snip>

Can someone please explain to me why an optical digital feed would sound better than a feed from a USB interface. Is the USB feed dropping bits? Is it a speed issue?
confused.gif

Thanks!

(And congrats on getting the Micro DAC - I'm ordering my Desktop Portable with DAC and HD580s today!!!!)

Dec 13, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by AintLDS
Can someone please explain to me why an optical digital feed would sound better than a feed from a USB interface. Is the USB feed dropping bits? Is it a speed issue?
confused.gif

Thanks!

(And congrats on getting the Micro DAC - I'm ordering my Desktop Portable with DAC and HD580s today!!!!)

Actually, The Jury is still out on this one.

Dec 13, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 22
I thought with optical out you get a 24-bit signal instead of a 16-bit with USB. Actually, someone explained that rationale to me here on Head-Fi. I guess I'll find for myself later today when my new soundcard and optical get here.

Dec 13, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I thought with optical out you get a 24-bit signal instead of a 16-bit with USB.

I'm not certain about optical capabilities, but I do know that it's still limited by the external DAC - and I think my external DAC only goes up to 16 bit anyhow (Yep had it right). Bigger better DACs may be able to ramp up to 24 bit but my Non-OS chip doesn't do that (I think). I think my Toshiba DVD player had a pretty decent chip in it that went up to 24bit/192kbps but I'm not certain (yep i had it right). The talk is getting technical and my head is starting to spin!
frown.gif

Side note- stumbled on this which explains why bypassing the op-amp output stage on my DAC-ah was a good idea- i think i'll add it to my sig!

Dec 13, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Actually, The Jury is still out on this one.

Aw heck, this forum is a dangerous place! I shouldn't have taken the red pill.
blink.gif

So I'm probably wrong to assume that if I rip and encode a well recorded classical DDD CD into iTunes with the Apple Lossless encoder on a Powerbook with a Superdrive, I am getting the best possible transfer. I (depending on who you talk to) have to take jitter into account during the read process.

Nuts . . .

Dec 14, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by AintLDS

So I'm probably wrong to assume that if I rip and encode a well recorded classical DDD CD into iTunes with the Apple Lossless encoder on a Powerbook with a Superdrive, I am getting the best possible transfer. I (depending on who you talk to) have to take jitter into account during the read process.

No. The only thing you have to take into account are errors during the read process. Something like EAC can be sure to get rid of these, and even Windows Media Player has a checkbox to ensure error-checking; I don't know if iTunes does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back