micro DAC and streaming internet radio
Jan 19, 2008 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all;

I'm sure all of you already figured this out,but on a whim I hooked my Roku Soundbridge 1001 into the Micro DAC optical out and into my stereo.

Didn't expect much, as the radio I listen to is only 128, but I was amazed at how much better it sounds. Maybe I'm just convincing myself (which is cool too), but the radio sounds less fatiguing over the long haul. (I have it running all day while I work.) Radio Paradise and Six Degrees for the most part.

Makes me wonder what an ultra would do-time to find out?

And the best part of course, is I now have another glowing LED to look at while I fight with clients over artwork!

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 3
One thing worth noting is that the Roku doesn't provide a clean digital out -- it resamples 44KHz content to 48KHz. Not a big deal if you're just talking about internet radio, but if you're streaming CDs and want a bit-perfect output, you might want to consider a Squeezebox instead.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 3
I listen to FIP (French contemporary radio) on my Squeezebox through a Micro DAC, passive attentuator, Audio Alchemy Amp, and Mission speakers, all the time in my garage as I work on my motorcycle. It's much better than straight out of the Squeezebox, but it's still significantly compressed and sounds it. Still, it's wicked cool to be able to get radio stations from all over the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back