Micro and V6 Arrived!!!!!
May 23, 2006 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

blue4n3

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my brand new Micro w/DM from Headroom! I was SOOOO happy!

The packaging and care taken in shipping alone really appealed to me. It has the new 2006 module and I'm excited. I have burned it in (supposedly) for the day while I was out and am enjoying it now.

Impressions:

Well, I have a SMacro v3 (buf634p and AD8397; I like the buffers w/ AD8397 because it add a little bass bloat at expense of clarity, but as a portable unit, I prefer that sound.) as reference. These are only impressions and I will not give a full review until much later (Need to sharpen my ears a little more before passing judgment.) So far I think it sounds a cleaner and more spacious than my Macro (even w/o Buf634p). The bass is definately allot cleaner. I have also beleive that Micro has better timbre and presents instrument a bit nicer. The crossfeed is much better, granted that it is headroom's bread and butter feature. The build quality is simply out of this world. The Macro does low bass tracks (synthesised basses) better and like the bass boost that it offers. These are just (unorganised) impressions; I am going to have to experience the amp for a bit longer and wear off my "new toy excitment" before passing judgement.

I also got my Sony V6 today and will comment on those after some time.

The headroom product is very profesionally built and souds amazing.

May 23, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 17
How do you know which number it is? mine has the date on it (5/16/06) and a number under it (101206).

The crossfeed is simply amazing. I have not heard a better crossfeed (granted, I have not heard the Meir products). I have also found a very slight hiss when using my E4c. Is this normal? anything to increase the blackness of the amp?

May 23, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
I have also found a very slight hiss when using my E4c. Is this normal? anything to increase the blackness of the amp?

I suspect you are just dealing with a mismatch between the quality of the internal DAC(s) in your sources and the MicroAmp; the bits of noise are being amplified, which the Shures pick up. If adjusting gain doesn't fix it, and it probably won't, my guess is you'll need to play with the equalizer settings on your sources, or buy a standalone DAC. That's the curse of upgrading: it always reveals the weakest link in your chain.

Congrats on your new toys!

May 23, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

How do you know which number it is? mine has the date on it (5/16/06) and a number under it (101206).

The crossfeed is simply amazing. I have not heard a better crossfeed (granted, I have not heard the Meir products). I have also found a very slight hiss when using my E4c. Is this normal? anything to increase the blackness of the amp?

It looks like you have #101 (101/206)

May 24, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

I have also found a very slight hiss when using my E4c. Is this normal? anything to increase the blackness of the amp?

Hard to know what's normal. Power supplies make a difference for sure, as well as what is coming from the source. This may sound silly, but try increasing the gain to medium (if you are on low) and reducing the volume with the volume pot. Also try switching from wall power to battery power and back again. Finally, make sure there are no dimmer switches or other noisy pieces of electronics very near the amp.

FWIW, I have never heard any hiss with my Ety's at 27ohms unless the volume pot was higher than I would ever use it, and no music playing.

May 24, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Interesting the AD8397 is not supposed to need buffers. Get an 8620 and hook it up with the buffers you have, the sound is tight and punchy. You will love it.

The 8397 has unusually high current capability for an IC opamp, however that capability and slew rate is still well below that of a standalone IC output stage, which is in turn lower than that of a fully discrete output stage as is used in the current HeadRoom modules.

May 24, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
The 8397 has unusually high current capability for an IC opamp, however that capability and slew rate is still well below that of a standalone IC output stage, which is in turn lower than that of a fully discrete output stage as is used in the current HeadRoom modules.

That may be the case, however I was not comparing the SuperMacro with the Micro Amp. I made a comment on the fact blue4n3 uses buffers with the 8397 in a SuperMacro. Dr. Xin ships that configuration w/o buffers, I know because that is what I have.

May 24, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
That may be the case, however I was not comparing the SuperMacro with the Micro Amp. I made a comment on the fact blue4n3 uses buffers with the 8397 in a SuperMacro. Dr. Xin ships that configuration w/o buffers, I know because that is what I have.

I understood that, but I was simply suggesting why even with the 8397 you might want to use some kind of output buffer.

May 24, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 17
Yeh, I took the buffers out and shorted the pins. I am still loving the micro amp's LARGE soundstage and clarity! I even like to just look at it becuase it's so damn "audiophile-looking." Superficial, I know.
As for the hiss: I have absolutely no source connected. Just my E4c into my micro #101 and both battery and external power. Even with the volume all the way down, there is a VERY slight hiss. Its not really hiss as much as a very tiny "blanket of snow" that keeps the background from being completely black. It is barely audible. when I put the volume up (way) past normal, then it becomes very apparent, but that is understood. the "blanket" is EVER SO SLIGHTLY less apparent with battery power, but not enough for me to justify using battery power over external (which is a REALLY small diff.) Once music plays, however, i would never be able to notice it. I pick up the hiss/hum from the mics in the recording studio instead
tongue.gif
. I like that.

Any ideas as to whether that is normal. Trust me when i say that the it is very little noise, way less than my ipod Head out. I only notice it when I romve the E4 from the jack and then put them back in.

May 24, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Any ideas as to whether that is normal. Trust me when i say that the it is very little noise, way less than my ipod Head out. I only notice it when I romve the E4 from the jack and then put them back in.

Ah, well that is possible. Especially combined with your observation about changing to battery power. There is a noise floor, as there is with all amps, and this being a relatively low cost amp doesn't have a totally black background. But it is certainly at least as quiet as anything else out there. If you are concerned, I suggest you contact Jamey (pm 'jamey' e-mail jamey@heaphone.com). If there is anything unusual, they'll be the first to tell you and take a look at it for you.

May 24, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Ah, well that is possible. Especially combined with your observation about changing to battery power. There is a noise floor, as there is with all amps, and this being a relatively low cost amp doesn't have a totally black background. But it is certainly at least as quiet as anything else out there. If you are concerned, I suggest you contact Jamey (pm 'jamey' e-mail jamey@heaphone.com). If there is anything unusual, they'll be the first to tell you and take a look at it for you.

Cool thanks. Yeah, its the lowest noise floor of all my outputs (including macro). I aint complaining. Just curious if the Desktop Module would have one at all. the noise floor is extrmely minimal. That IS normal right? I just got paranoid that my amp may be defective. I doubt it since it sings.

What amps have a completely black noise floor? just curious. Will the Desktop Power supply make a difference to the noise floor and/or the sound compared to battery and existing brick? The diff. between batt and external is not enough for me to care (i dont know if it's placebo or not) and wonder how much the brick can improve things.

May 24, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Cool thanks. Yeah, its the lowest noise floor of all my outputs (including macro). I aint complaining. Just curious if the Desktop Module would have one at all. the noise floor is extrmely minimal. That IS normal right? I just got paranoid that my amp may be defective. I doubt it since it sings.

What amps have a completely black noise floor? just curious. Will the Desktop Power supply make a difference to the noise floor and/or the sound compared to battery and existing brick? The diff. between batt and external is not enough for me to care (i dont know if it's placebo or not) and wonder how much the brick can improve things.

I believe that the Micro Module has a slightly higher noise floor than the Desktop Module - I'll check that in the convertible and get back to you.

The DPS won't be quieter than batteries - the noise you are hearing is partly generated by the opamp, and has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the power delivery.

May 24, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

I believe that the Micro Module has a slightly higher noise floor than the Desktop Module - I'll check that in the convertible and get back to you.

The DPS won't be quieter than batteries - the noise you are hearing is partly generated by the opamp, and has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the power delivery.

Cool thanks for the quick relpies. BTW, I have the Desktop Module in my Micro. I would like to see your noise floor opinions for the Home and Max modules though. I need a reason to keep saving on new stuff
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back