micro amp
Sep 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

usinare

New Head-Fier
just got the micro amp 2 days ago. i have it hooked from the usb out of my 3G ipod classic to the line input of the amp. i am using denon d7000 headphones. at my normal listening levels, i do not detect a difference in sound quality with this setup when compared to headphone output of the ipod. at higher volume levels, i do notice the difference. am i doing something wrong, or the amp needs more time to break-in.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm not too familiar with the Denons, but with my Grado 325i goldies (another low impedance pair of cans) I noticed a HUGE difference versus headphone out (especially in bass and dynamics), even using a simple total bithead as my source. Just a few points...

1. iPods do not have a USB digital out. Perhaps you're referring to an LOD (line out dock) - all that does is bypass the iPod's volume control for cleaner, not necessarily better output.

2. Have you tried another source? The Micro works great with my 6G iPod... by 3G classic are you referring to a 3G iPod (white plastic, the first non-mini to have a click wheel), or the 2nd revision of the 6G (silver or black anodized aluminum, the ones actually named "iPod Classic") line? It makes a difference- the 3G had shaky audio quality, or so I've heard. If the latter, you might want to try a dedicated DAC, like the Micro or Ultra Micro DACs which are intended for use with the Micro Amp.

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 5
after spending sometime with the micro amp, i am beginning to realize the benefits of this little champ. i guess i needed more time to break-in the amp. the sound is more precise, dynamic, the bass is tight and the treble is well controlled. i can hear the difference now even at low volumes. sometimes one needs a little patience with these electronics.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 5
People tend to forget that this hobby is about obsessing about the tiny little differences. Objectively, the differences you are observing are really, really small when it comes to electronics.

We just have amazingly well refined ears to detect these things, but it might take a while to really appreciate what is different.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 5
I'll add that there's a bit of a moving target here: Your Brain.

It's a very power adaptive computer, so to speak. It's used to perceiving in one way, when you present it with more information (better audio resolution in this case) it takes a while for your head to figure out what to do with the new information before it can develop a more complex experience.

I suggest what people perceive as equipment break-in is likely more often their brain breaking itself in on new information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back