Micro Amp today
Feb 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #16 of 45
I suspect that the Senn's scale better with an amp, simply because they're more difficult to drive. But, I'm still curious...

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 45
I've had the Mirco Amp for 3 months now and a progress report is in order
wink_face.gif
All I do is listen to my cd collection and rediscover it! Take for instance the complete set of Sibelius symphonies with the San Francisco SO under Herbert Blomstedt on Decca. Omg I've never heard Sibelius like this. I never really got into this collection before the micro opened it up for me. What great performances with equally great sound I never fully appreciated until the Micro amp. I can only guess how many more delights await me. I rarely use my 7.1 audio system for anything but movies now. Whenever I want the real deal I always turn to my headphone rig. I fully understand this "headphone thing" now. A friend of mine said "he just doesn't get it" and I chuckle beneath my breath, more the fool him.
devil_face.gif
I just wish I'd made the jump long ago. I guess the micro is fully burnt in by now but the little bugger does get rather warm after a long session, is this normal?

Apr 18, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the Mirco Amp for 3 months now and a progress report is in order
wink_face.gif
All I do is listen to my cd collection and rediscover it! Take for instance the complete set of Sibelius symphonies with the San Francisco SO under Herbert Blomstedt on Decca. Omg I've never heard Sibelius like this. I never really got into this collection before the micro opened it up for me. What great performances with equally great sound I never fully appreciated until the Micro amp. I can only guess how many more delights await me. I rarely use my 7.1 audio system for anything but movies now. Whenever I want the real deal I always turn to my headphone rig. I fully understand this "headphone thing" now. A friend of mine said "he just doesn't get it" and I chuckle beneath my breath, more the fool him.
devil_face.gif
I just wish I'd made the jump long ago. I guess the micro is fully burnt in by now but the little bugger does get rather warm after a long session, is this normal?

My experience exactly, I love the micro stack so much I just may save up to get the Desktop, ultras, or even the Desktop Balanced. Every step of the way I ask myself how could it possibly get any better, and then it does, thanks Headroom and Headfi members.
Enjoy
Kevin
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #19 of 45
I've heard some great headphone amps that are better than what I have now: a regular Micro and the original Micro DAC, but you know what? I'm going to stick with what I have for a long time. I guess I hit the sweet spot of performance for my buck, and I'm kind of a crossfeed believer and don't really want to lose that either.

Someday I might move up the line, but I'm not going to fix what ain't broke to my ears.

May 28, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #20 of 45
I can't forget the first time i listened to the ultra micro amp after i upgraded from the great total airhead. the difference was so huge!
at first using it with my d2 and ipod and after a while i decided to go for the ultra micro dac too...man, i couldn't speak because my jaws was on the floor.
even now! and that's with the stock "bricks" power supplies. in a few days i am gonna get the two astrodyne i ordered to maximize the power of my stack. oh man! can't wait.
congrats on the excellent purchase!

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #21 of 45
Hello. I'm wondering does the Mico Amp pair well with Grados? I've ordered an HF-2 and am hoping to get the best out of them.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HD580's with the Micro have improved immensely.

I tend to like the 580 a lot for the money. I'd suggest you try a new cable on them. The D2000 is an amazing headphone---it measures better than any other can we've tested. It's a bit too "fast" for my ears---I like things a little laid back---but they're a great can.

I'm probably in the camp that thinks your best improvement is with a better DAC. That and the cable change would net quite an improvement for the bux.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello. I'm wondering does the Mico Amp pair well with Grados? I've ordered an HF-2 and am hoping to get the best out of them.

Sure. That would work fine.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

My first amp was a micro amp, which I had paired with SR60s and HD580s. I also think it would do fine with the HF2s.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first amp was a micro amp, which I had paired with SR60s and HD580s.

This is darn near impossible to imagine.
biggrin.gif

Sorry for the off topic.
ph34r.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

I love my Micro/SR325i combo. Leaps and bounds ahead of even a portable amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is darn near impossible to imagine.
biggrin.gif

Sorry for the off topic.
ph34r.gif

biggrin.gif

I even had them at my first meet, though they sat all tiny in a corner, dwarfed by the gear-glut-mass hoarded by Team Florida. When I went home that night, though, I was still very happy....er....except I wanted 650s....and....

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
except I wanted 650s....and....

Understandable.
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #28 of 45
Yo. So does Headroom tend to update the Micro Amp every year or so? I just ordered one, and I'm wondering how old/new the version is and how it compares to previous versions.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #29 of 45
Going to order a Micro Dac for my Micro Amp rig but have a question. Can I still use the analog line inputs of the Micro Amp to the analog outputs of my SACD and DVD-Audio player after I install the Micro DAC? The SACD priority on the new player is set to 2 channel SACD. I don't think the redbook layer on sacd's can be read digitally can they? Any layer on a sacd has to be decoded to analog signal right? The Micro Dac will be used for the vast majority of my cd collection but my new collection of hi res disc's is growing and I want to continue play them the way I am now with the Micro Amp without the Mirco Dac. After I hook up the Micro Dac that is. Am I making any sense?
redface.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #30 of 45
The MicroAmp has two inputs. Connect the MicroDAC to one when you get it. Connect the SACD player to the other. You can then use the Input selector switch on the front of the MicroAmp to toggle between the two sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back