Micro 2007 Amp Burn in
Feb 1, 2008 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

velingara

New Head-Fier
I just upgraded to the micro 2007 amp from a total bit head. Wow! Night and day! Everything is razor sharp, even from a so-so source (Ipod with ALAC). Saving up for a Micro DAC right now.

Do Headroom amps benefit from burn in, and what is the process if you use IEM's, which themselves dont benefit from burn in? Do I have to have headphones connected to burn in an amp?

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by velingara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do Headroom amps benefit from burn in, and what is the process if you use IEM's, which themselves dont benefit from burn in? Do I have to have headphones connected to burn in an amp?

Honestly, I just wouldn't worry about it. Over-concentration on whether or not something is changing how it sounds as you listen is a sure-fire way to lose your enjoyment of music. Kick back, listen, enjoy. If things get better over time, wuhoo! The idea of setting up a rig just to provide "burn-in" never struck me as a great idea.

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm with Nate here, generally must headphone gear in my experience doen't change as much with burn-in as your head does just getting used to the sound of new gear. So who's to say if it's the gear or your head doing the changing?

The exception is the K701 which changes amazingly, and we've seen some good things with Utrasone cans and burn-in. It won;t hurt your gear to leave it running to burn it in at first; just don't have the volume too loud during burn-in. Just at a good solid listening level is fine. Anything after 400 hours is probably a waste of electrons.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 8
I believe the reason AKG cans have such a significant burn-in change and length is because of the varimotion driver which takes a while for the drivers variable elasticity to set in.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 8
I got rid of my 701's after only about 60 hours. Just couldn't wait for them to transform. Sad, but true.

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Wait - if the K701 undergoes such a dramatic burn-in, then I'm assuming the K601 would be similar...
My mom was going to buy those but the ones at the store sounded a little shy of the HD 595s
I bet demos were new out of the box...that would explain it.
She never ended up buying either which sucks for me...

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Yeah the K701 and K601 need a good 300-500 hours of burn in to fully set their oddly designed varimotion drivers. Bass tightens up and treble becomes clearer and more well extended. I'm not a huge believer in burn in but the AKGs definitely benefit from it because of their different driver design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back