MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
May 3, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #395 of 897
Audio note 3.1X balanced. Best DAC I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot. But really expensive. I should have my head examined and don't tell my wife.

Similar here. I have an Atlantis dac which I liked a lot (superb for vocals), fitted with 6922 adaptor and Mullard CV2493 (which is IMO the only good sounding 6922).
Having enjoyed that so much, and being advised that Audionote dacs using the same family of dac chip were similar but significantly better, I went for an ANK Dac 4.1x kit.
Now it is said that ANK kits are not quite up to the standard of Audionote; but I'm very confident that the kit 4.1x will be very close indeed to your AN 3.1X
.And similarly to you, I find this DAC the best I've ever heard.
Now driven by the Pro-Ject RS2-T transport, with Ecosse Soundman XLR digital lead, it's not only the best CD I've ever head ... it's the best digital I've heard, beating some good SACD players (including a fine valve outout unit) and the high res systems I've heard.

May 5, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #396 of 897
Hello

I am a happy owner of Pagoda single-ended for about 8 months. I already replaced the fuse for a Hifi-tuning Supreme and sit the unit over 4x Vibrapod sets (isolator #1 + cone) with excellent results.

Now I am loonking for a tube upgrade and reading a few pages early I can see many users and replacing the original 5670 tube for a 6922 using a conversor which I suppose is similar to this one (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Piece-Gol...396A-5670-tube-converter-adapter/201792568552).

For experts on tube-rolling, can you help me clarifying some questions?

1) Consider I am looking for , is there any better tube that can bring improvements over JAN GE 5670 without adding warmty but incriasing sense of organicity/refiniment?

2) As I see WE396A should not be the best deal when my wish is neutrality, right? For that reason I was thinking on Tesla 6CC42 non pinched version (from mid 60's) or maybe a pinched version from late 50's. Between these two should I get so much less choosing no pinched version?

3) Thinking about tubes from 6922 family, should I expect too much improvements over those 1st class tubes from MHDT website ? Which brand can make my choose somewhat a safety bet aiming a neutral presentation/signature (i.e. Siemens, Mullard, Amperex) ??

Thanks in advance.

Marcelo

May 5, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #398 of 897
I will leave experts to cover Marcelos' points 1 and 2, but I have lots of experience with 6922s.

I tried many 6922s in a Sonic Frontiers phono stage and found only one good one, the Mullard CV2493. Note, not CV2492 which is nothing, like as good. Later, I had a number of CD players using 6922 and found the same; the CV2493 gave good results. Here's some personal views. Do look up Joe's Tube Lore on Tube Asylum on the subject.
New 6922: a Cayin cd player came with current production EH; when I put in CV2493's the sound quality went through the roof. I don't know much about other current production but I doubt if they are much better. So for top sounding 6922, forget current production.
Russian 6n23p: some people recommend these, I don't. Thin sounding. Tonally poor. Perhaps a bit better than current production, but not good; perhaps better than FET or most op amps, but a good BJT might beat it.
Various other NOS, e.g.Philips; typically a bit better than the above but often a bit thin sounding.
Mullard ECC88, CV2492; generally a fuller sound, reasonable tone but a bit mushy, not great dynamics or rhythm, somewhat musical but not great, a bit lifeless. CV2492 not too bad.
Tungsram: there are several varieties; I found one type that was very good, full bodied, musical, natural, a touch of sweetness, similar to (but not quite as good as) :
CV2493. Full bodied, naturally sweet, good tone, good dynamics, lively, musical, detailed and transparent without harshness; excellent (for a 6922; a decent 6SN7 beats it though). By far the best.

I used my Atlantis in a decent system, with a good valve amp (using ... guess what ... 12SN7s) and Audio Zenith PMx2 phones. I also used a Lector CDP707, a really fine player. I'd say the Lector is better, with a fuller sound and more transparency and detail than the MHDT, but the MHDT has a gorgeous midrange, superb for vocals. So I listened mainly to the MHDT.
I tried about 3 good 5670 and variants in the MHDT, including WE. But I had a definite preference for the CV2493 with adaptor; hard to describe the sound but I'll try. A fuller, more solid sound, more powerful; a bit more detail; it's hard to say if it was sweeter, but very natural sounding and no harshness. So it stayed in!

I hope this helps. Remember it's all personal opinion, my systems, my ears. However, my high opinion of CV2493 was confirmed, in different applications, by a golden eared friend, and by Mike of Astin Trew when I had a demo of the CD player at his home where I put in a CV2493 ... and he wouldn't let me have it back! :wink:
On other 6922s, I pull no punches and sorry if have trashed some people's favourites; I just suggest you try my suggestion before you flame me! :wink:

The issue with the CV2493 is of course availability and price, but they are worth it. I'm lucky, I got a reasonable supply many years ago; sorry, not for sale ...

Now for the relevance to MHDT.
I doubt if the typical 6922 will give much improvement over the better 5670 and variants; but it's worth trying. However I do know how well the CV2493 works here. As it's well balanced (does everything well) I can't think why anyone would not like it - but personal taste does come into it, there's always a chance you might not like it.

May 10, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #400 of 897
@Mike C. Very nice write up. Sounds like tour saying the CV2493 is briter than the other tubes you rolled? What kind of music do you typically listen to?
No, not brighter, just better in the ways I said; in particular pleasantly full bodied and natural sounding.

I like acoustic music such as jazz (accessible types only), folk, classical, with a particular liking for female vocals. I attend a few classical concerts every year (not this year of course). Jazz and similar includes Halie Loren, Sarah McKenzie, Embraceable Lisa, Jane Monheit, Sinne Eeg, many others. Folk includes Amber Rubarth, Judy Collins, Sarah Jarosz, Loreena McKennitt, Rhiannon Giddens - perhaps stretching the definition of folk a bit.

May 17, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #401 of 897
Hi Marcelo,

Here's is my tube rolling experience with Pagoda SE:

1) I got these tubes when I bought a used Pagoda:

Bendix 2C51 Tube
Russian OTK 6n3p tube
Tesla 6cc42 pinched waist tube
GE5670

You can find feedback in this thread for above tubes. To my ear, the Tesla is so much better than rest two (Bendix being a little bright, GE & 6n3p too harsh), clean & clear & very balanced sound, that I soon bought another one from @Luckbad.

2) Then I read @213Cobra posting (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mhdt-labs-r-2r-nos-tube-dacs.798259/page-17#post-13342145), it seems he had very similar feeling about Tesla & Bendix tubes, soI decided to give a try to 6922. Simens CCA may be the best however it's way too expensive for me, I eventually got a pair of Valvo yellow CCa (heerlen late 60s). With 6922 adaptor, the Valvo is better than Tesla in every way (detail, "live" feel) and I probably got best sound possible from this Pagoda. I think I will keep it forever :wink:

Hope this helps.

Eric

Hello

I am a happy owner of Pagoda single-ended for about 8 months. I already replaced the fuse for a Hifi-tuning Supreme and sit the unit over 4x Vibrapod sets (isolator #1 + cone) with excellent results.

Now I am loonking for a tube upgrade and reading a few pages early I can see many users and replacing the original 5670 tube for a 6922 using a conversor which I suppose is similar to this one (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Piece-Gol...396A-5670-tube-converter-adapter/201792568552).

For experts on tube-rolling, can you help me clarifying some questions?

1) Consider I am looking for , is there any better tube that can bring improvements over JAN GE 5670 without adding warmty but incriasing sense of organicity/refiniment?

2) As I see WE396A should not be the best deal when my wish is neutrality, right? For that reason I was thinking on Tesla 6CC42 non pinched version (from mid 60's) or maybe a pinched version from late 50's. Between these two should I get so much less choosing no pinched version?

3) Thinking about tubes from 6922 family, should I expect too much improvements over those 1st class tubes from MHDT website ? Which brand can make my choose somewhat a safety bet aiming a neutral presentation/signature (i.e. Siemens, Mullard, Amperex) ??

Thanks in advance.

Marcelo

Oct 7, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #402 of 897
I recently heard my friends db Labs Tranquility DAC and wound up doing a few days research wound up here- so as of now I have a Topping D90 which is easy to live with as it does all my connection needs but it has zero air like his NOS DAC- I am leaning towards the Orchid or I have a chance to get a used Musical Paradise MpD2Mk3 ES9038Pro with some upgrades like Crystek 957 Femto clock and some tube upgrades- BUT it is HUGE and I dont know if Orchid will sound better - any thoughts?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #403 of 897
I am getting similar noise/hum from my Pagoda. The noise becomes noticeable when I turn to 12pm position on my amp, and gets louder when volume is up. It does not seem to go down when music plays. I tried other sources (e.g. Macbook earphone output) and they're quiet in terms of floor noise.

Did anyone else see this? I tried to disconnect ground, or use another power outlet, but did not help.

Eric
Btw guys, earlier i mentioned about a electrical hum from Atlantis. As it turns out its because bad distrubution of electricity of the apartment. My room's outlets share switch with another room. I tried my system at my friend's house and there was no hum. I'm getting seperate switch for my audio chain now.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #404 of 897
I am getting similar noise/hum from my Pagoda. The noise becomes noticeable when I turn to 12pm position on my amp, and gets louder when volume is up. It does not seem to go down when music plays. I tried other sources (e.g. Macbook earphone output) and they're quiet in terms of floor noise.

Did anyone else see this? I tried to disconnect ground, or use another power outlet, but did not help.

Eric
I hear no noise coming from my balanced Pagoda

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #405 of 897
Similar here. I have an Atlantis dac which I liked a lot (superb for vocals), fitted with 6922 adaptor and Mullard CV2493 (which is IMO the only good sounding 6922).
Having enjoyed that so much, and being advised that Audionote dacs using the same family of dac chip were similar but significantly better, I went for an ANK Dac 4.1x kit.
Now it is said that ANK kits are not quite up to the standard of Audionote; but I'm very confident that the kit 4.1x will be very close indeed to your AN 3.1X
.And similarly to you, I find this DAC the best I've ever heard.
Now driven by the Pro-Ject RS2-T transport, with Ecosse Soundman XLR digital lead, it's not only the best CD I've ever head ... it's the best digital I've heard, beating some good SACD players (including a fine valve outout unit) and the high res systems I've heard.
Hi Mike, just wondering how is your experience with the ANK 4.1x DAC. I am considering exactly the same upgrade. I like the Atlantis in general but always felt the bass is a little loose or distorted, don't know exactly. I have used it for 1.5 years now, my favourite tubes are the raytheon (detailed and accurate) and WE (warmer). Before the Atlantis I was using a Belcanto DAC 1 which has dual BB 1704. Really regret selling it. Comparatively to the Atlantis, the sound stage was smaller and vocals lacked the magic feeling but the bass was spot on...tuneful, controlled with good texture, etc..really miss this Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back