MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Feb 8, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #376 of 897
I am hopefully receiving a Havana soon. I noticed these are discontinued. Why? I’m hoping it will be less edgy than my Modi 3

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #378 of 897
I have got a Canary DAC. I started tube rolling but I have a question. It was very difficult to get the factory installed tube out. When I pushed the replacement tube (by Tesla) into place, it did not go all the way down. I was afraid that I would brake the circuit board. When switched on, the tube lit up and the DAC is functioning alright so I suppose it is OK this way.

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #379 of 897
I have got a Canary DAC. I started tube rolling but I have a question. It was very difficult to get the factory installed tube out. When I pushed the replacement tube (by Tesla) into place, it did not go all the way down. I was afraid that I would brake the circuit board. When switched on, the tube lit up and the DAC is functioning alright so I suppose it is OK this way.
Did you take the cover off the top? That makes it easier to get the tube in. I tried a GE 5670W tube that had thicker pins so it was hard to roll into the socket. So for now I am avoiding using that tube. To install or remove a tube you need to rock the tube from side to side a bit, don’t just push it straight in.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #380 of 897
Did you take the cover off the top? That makes it easier to get the tube in. I tried a GE 5670W tube that had thicker pins so it was hard to roll into the socket. So for now I am avoiding using that tube. To install or remove a tube you need to rock the tube from side to side a bit, don’t just push it straight in.
Thanks for the reply. Of course, I removed the top cover. I have changed the tube back to the original one since. And that one did not go all the way down either. (I did not like the sound of the Tesla tube). In my Little Dot headphone amp it is much easier to roll the tubes. I know it is not supposed to be a simple vertical push or pull when rolling a tube but it is really hard to get the pins down the holes in the MHDT LAB dac.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #381 of 897
I am starting to try some tubes in my Havana and so far I really like a Raytheon JRP 5670 Tube - Black Plates - Square Getter for its smooth, liquid, slightly bright sound!

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #382 of 897
Trying the JJ 6386 now. Not bad. Wide open extended sound with great soundstage and seperation. Neutral, relaxed tone. Only downside I can find is that it is slightly boring compared to the sweet, liquidy sound of the previous tube I was using, a Raytheon 5670. Im not sure the JJ is worth the price tag in this application! Now onto trying my GE tubes. I have a triple mica square getter one branded Heintz and Kaufman and a round getter one that is JAN.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #383 of 897
A few more tube reviews (Havana DAC)

Electronics Enterprises Inc 2C51 - bright and hard sound, not too desirable for me.

6N3P - Okay, bassy, dynamic, but not sweet.

GE by Heintz and Kaufman - hard, dry, not the sweetest.

GE JAN 5670W - excellent sounding tube but not as liquidy and sweet as the Raytheon I mentioned in my other post. This tube has thicker pins which made it pretty hard to get in the socket.

The Raytheon JRP black plate / square getter definitely has the most liquidy sound of the tubes I’ve tried so far. It’s the most fun sound so I’m keeping it in there for now.

Bendix 6385 that came with the DAC: nice sounding tube similar to JJ 6386. Extended, dynamic, liquidy, but I think this one is a bit weak in terms of lifespan.

If anyone wants to try any of these PM me! (Except the Raytheon!)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #384 of 897
Anyone do some of the many mods from the Havana thread on the Orchid, aside from film caps? The layout seems similar enough.

- Shinkoh tantalum resistors around the tube.
- Schottky diodes
- R-core transformer
- WBT nextgen RCAs
- Black Gate or Elna Silmic II electrolytic caps

I've been out of audio game for many years. Recently started to get back into it and, as a huge fan of the Havana (I did all of the above mods), am intrigued by the Orchid. I bought an iFi Pro iDSD, and as objectively impressive as it is, I think I still favor the more "analog" sound of the modded Havana. Once I get my hands on a used Orchid I am looking to dive right in.

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #386 of 897
Just tried an EH 6NS7 in the Havana. Seemed warm, bassy, a bit wooly, not clear. Maybe it’s not a good choice for this DAC.

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #388 of 897
Hello all. About to take possession of a new MHDT Orchid. One quick question(before a lot of rolling question) Is this DAC designed to be left on 24/7?
Thanks
I wouldn’t think leaving it on would be necessary. Just burning your tubes life for no reason. I no longer have my Pagoda, however I don’t remember it taking to long to warm up. Others may have a different option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back